Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default It all kicked off at work today - one for Dave Plowman?

We are fitting ventilation doors at a hospital ready for the
overcrowding due to expected influx of virus infected patients.

Then there was a massive argument and tradesmen nearly came to blows.

So what is this car?

NSFW depending where you work

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...QyODU-OM&t=843

Probably safe for work unless it's a junior school you work in

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...yODU-OM&t=3831

The bloke doing the ventilation said it was a 2.8 but I am sure that
they did not make a 2.8

Anyway we all got red carded and sent home for the day.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
We are fitting ventilation doors at a hospital ready for the
overcrowding due to expected influx of virus infected patients.

Then there was a massive argument and tradesmen nearly came to blows.

So what is this car?

NSFW depending where you work

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...QyODU-OM&t=843

Probably safe for work unless it's a junior school you work in

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...yODU-OM&t=3831

The bloke doing the ventilation said it was a 2.8 but I am sure that
they did not make a 2.8

Anyway we all got red carded and sent home for the day.

2000 inline 4
2300 inline 6
2600 inline 6
3500 v8

Could be 2600SE or 3500SE facelift model. Not a Vanden Plas, no rubbery
boot lid spoiler.

I'd go for a 2600SE as in some shots you can see a 4 character logo on
the side of the front wing between the door and wheel. The 3500's just
said V8 in that position and the poverty-spec engines had the displacement.

The 2000/2300 couldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dog's arse. In one
shot he hoons it away quite smartly, so 2600SE.

I had an SD1 3500V8 on a V plate (MUE285V). Wonderfully relaxing to
drive and a brilliant efficient way to convert cash into CO2 without
moving much. I had a classic P5 3500 Saloon on an original G plate (MTE
934G) at the same time with leather and wood and an even more efficient
way of converting cash into CO2 without moving far.

SD1 17-18mpg around town 24mpg on a run
P5 13-15mpg around town 22mpg on a run.

You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to
run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body
with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg about
town 19mpg on a run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 20:13, mm0fmf wrote:
On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
We are fitting ventilation doors at a hospital ready for the
overcrowding due to expected influx of virus infected patients.

Then there was a massive argument and tradesmen nearly came to blows.

So what is this car?

NSFW depending where you work

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...QyODU-OM&t=843

Probably safe for work unless it's a junior school you work in

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...yODU-OM&t=3831

The bloke doing the ventilation said it was a 2.8 but I am sure that
they did not make a 2.8

Anyway we all got red carded and sent home for the day.

2000 inline 4
2300 inline 6
2600 inline 6
3500 v8

Could be 2600SEÂ* or 3500SE facelift model. Not a Vanden Plas, no rubbery
boot lid spoiler.

I'd go for a 2600SE as in some shots you can see a 4 character logo on
the side of the front wing between the door and wheel. The 3500's just
said V8 in that position and the poverty-spec engines had the displacement.

The 2000/2300 couldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dog's arse. In one
shot he hoons it away quite smartly, so 2600SE.

I had an SD1 3500V8 on a V plate (MUE285V). Wonderfully relaxing to
drive and a brilliant efficient way to convert cash into CO2 without
moving much. I had a classic P5 3500 Saloon on an original G plate (MTE
934G) at the same time with leather and wood and an even more efficient
way of converting cash into CO2 without moving far.

SD1 17-18mpg around town 24mpg on a run
P5Â* 13-15mpg around town 22mpg on a run.

You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to
run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body
with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg about
town 19mpg on a run.

side valve??????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine had a 1960 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery (think Escort van
version of the Impala, with a 5.3l V8) - supposedly one of only two in
the country. He was really pleased on a run from Nottingham to Newquay
(Cornwall), when he got up to 12mpg ... he normally got about 7!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
[...]

Both block and head were aluminium, tappets were hydraulic
self-adjusting operating on overhead inlet and side exhaust valves. The
counterbalanced crankshaft ran in seven bearings.[

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
[...]

Â*Both block and head were aluminium, tappets were hydraulic
self-adjusting operating on overhead inlet and side exhaust valves. The
counterbalanced crankshaft ran in seven bearings.[

interesting
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
[...]

That's a small US engine. They're only starting to get big around 7L :-)

Buick 454, Chrysler 440 etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
We are fitting ventilation doors at a hospital ready for the
overcrowding due to expected influx of virus infected patients.

Then there was a massive argument and tradesmen nearly came to blows.

So what is this car?

NSFW depending where you work

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...QyODU-OM&t=843

Probably safe for work unless it's a junior school you work in

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...yODU-OM&t=3831

The bloke doing the ventilation said it was a 2.8 but I am sure that
they did not make a 2.8

Anyway we all got red carded and sent home for the day.

2.6
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
[...]

wow I have miss-judged you,,,you can't be all bad...I had fun in this
road runner...when I was 26 ......some hams have good taste...little
fingers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZk4zHrnh3M

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
We are fitting ventilation doors at a hospital ready for the
overcrowding due to expected influx of virus infected patients.

Then there was a massive argument and tradesmen nearly came to blows.

So what is this car?

NSFW depending where you work

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...QyODU-OM&t=843

Probably safe for work unless it's a junior school you work in

https://youtu.be/alUyl3lkEDA?list=PL...yODU-OM&t=3831

The bloke doing the ventilation said it was a 2.8 but I am sure that
they did not make a 2.8

Anyway we all got red carded and sent home for the day.

2000 inline 4
2300 inline 6
2600 inline 6
3500 v8

Could be 2600SEÂ* or 3500SE facelift model. Not a Vanden Plas, no rubbery
boot lid spoiler.

Some discussion he

https://www.imcdb.org/v855439.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 19:46, ARW wrote:
[...]

That was the pre-Rover 2000 engine (with the side valve exhaust.). Some Land Rovers were fitted with that engine too.

The V8 was all OHV hydraulic tappets single camshaft between the cylinder banks. Push rods.

Standard Yank practice. (It was actually a modified Yank engine)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
2000 inline 4
2300 inline 6
2600 inline 6
3500 v8

Could be 2600SE or 3500SE facelift model. Not a Vanden Plas, no rubbery
boot lid spoiler.

Spoiler only correct on the Vitesse. Although plenty fitted them to
'lesser' models.

I'd go for a 2600SE as in some shots you can see a 4 character logo on
the side of the front wing between the door and wheel. The 3500's just
said V8 in that position and the poverty-spec engines had the
displacement.

It is an S2 car by the rear wiper in the screen, and they had the engine
capacity on the front wing. No V8 badges anywhere.

The 2000/2300 couldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dog's arse. In one
shot he hoons it away quite smartly, so 2600SE.

Quality was so poor here I couldn't see much detail.

I had an SD1 3500V8 on a V plate (MUE285V). Wonderfully relaxing to
drive and a brilliant efficient way to convert cash into CO2 without
moving much. I had a classic P5 3500 Saloon on an original G plate (MTE
934G) at the same time with leather and wood and an even more efficient
way of converting cash into CO2 without moving far.

SD1 17-18mpg around town 24mpg on a run
P5 13-15mpg around town 22mpg on a run.

Sounds like your cars were in need of a good service. ;-)

You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained.

You had an early one which suffered from very poor paint. Late P6 shared
the same paint and rusted just as quickly.

Later cars, somewhat better. Pretty well average for the time.

Must admit to wondering about the horn business. It is on the indicator
stalk and sheilded by the steering wheel. So dramatic licence?

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to
run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body
with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg about
town 19mpg on a run.

side valve??????

OHV inlet, side exhaust. Just like most Rolls 6 cylinders - until the V8
arrived. Once difference was the engine was all ally - unlike the Rolls
cars.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to
run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body
with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg
about town 19mpg on a run.

side valve??????

Both block and head were aluminium, tappets were hydraulic
self-adjusting operating on overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
The counterbalanced crankshaft ran in seven bearings.[

That was the pre-Rover 2000 engine (with the side valve exhaust.).

It's a description of the Princess R engine, harry. ;-)

Some
Land Rovers were fitted with that engine too.

Rather rare. Majority were OHV four cylinder.

The V8 was all OHV hydraulic tappets single camshaft between the
cylinder banks. Push rods.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to
run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body
with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg
about town 19mpg on a run.

side valve??????

Both block and head were aluminium, tappets were hydraulic
self-adjusting operating on overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
The counterbalanced crankshaft ran in seven bearings.[

That was the pre-Rover 2000 engine (with the side valve exhaust.).

It's a description of the Princess R engine, harry. ;-)

Some
Land Rovers were fitted with that engine too.

Rather rare. Majority were OHV four cylinder.

The V8 was all OHV hydraulic tappets single camshaft between the
cylinder banks. Push rods.

The FB60 that was in my Princess R was a Austin/Rolls Royce development
of the RR B60 engine used in military Scout Cars. The B40 4-cylinder
version was used in the Austin Champ (Willys Jeep clone). The FB60 was a
short stroke version of 3.9L vs the 4.2L of the original B60.

It was only EVER fitted to the Princess R. If you find one in any other
vehicle it wasn't a production fitment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
[...]

They were very much in need of me not driving them wearing clown's
shoes. What's the point having a car with power and torque (for the
time) and then doing a Driving Miss. Daisy impersonation.