Posted to uk.d-i-y
mm0fmf[_2_] mm0fmf[_2_] is offline

Default It all kicked off at work today - one for Dave Plowman?

In article ,
harry wrote:
You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to
run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body
with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg
about town 19mpg on a run.

side valve??????

Both block and head were aluminium, tappets were hydraulic
self-adjusting operating on overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
The counterbalanced crankshaft ran in seven bearings.[

That was the pre-Rover 2000 engine (with the side valve exhaust.).

It's a description of the Princess R engine, harry. ;-)

Some
Land Rovers were fitted with that engine too.

Rather rare. Majority were OHV four cylinder.

The V8 was all OHV hydraulic tappets single camshaft between the
cylinder banks. Push rods.

The FB60 that was in my Princess R was a Austin/Rolls Royce development
of the RR B60 engine used in military Scout Cars. The B40 4-cylinder
version was used in the Austin Champ (Willys Jeep clone). The FB60 was a
short stroke version of 3.9L vs the 4.2L of the original B60.

It was only EVER fitted to the Princess R. If you find one in any other
vehicle it wasn't a production fitment.