Steve and Stephanie

Default Fitting a water metre?

Our local water board (United Utilities) fitted a water meter after
convincing me that we would pay less for water on a meter. There was an
agreement that if it didn't then I could revert back to a standard payment
option.
They came out and fitted a meter at the end of my driveway and told me to
enjoy cheaper water.
Straight away I had problems. To cut a very long and boring story short we
had them put us back onto a standard payment option. No one came out to the
meter. The problems continue.
I recently got talking to someone that sells central heating for a living. I
told him of my water problems and he tells me that when a meter is put in
the water board reduce the inflow pipe into the house which in turn reduces
pressure. That is the only way a meter can be fitted.
Now if this is correct it could explain a thing or two.
Can someone confirm this please, so that I can go back to the water board
and try and get things put as they were before this installation.
Thanks

Ian Stirling

Steve and Stephanie wrote:
Our local water board (United Utilities) fitted a water meter after
convincing me that we would pay less for water on a meter. There was an
agreement that if it didn't then I could revert back to a standard payment
option.
They came out and fitted a meter at the end of my driveway and told me to
enjoy cheaper water.
Straight away I had problems. To cut a very long and boring story short we

Could you perhaps elaborate on this?
Different taste, intermittent fountains of blood coming out of taps, ...
IMM

"Steve and Stephanie" wrote in message
[...]

A meter will restrict flow that is for certain. But it depends on the
pressure and supply pipe to the house whether you are affected. If you are
on mains pressure on all taps in the house and the pressure/flow drops, get
them to take it out, unless they up the pressure/flow. Give them chance. If
they say that is it, tell them to remove it and leave a new correctly sized
stop cock in its place.

Rick Dipper

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:26:05 +0100, "Steve and Stephanie"
wrote:

[...]

Since my 3000 cubic meter leak I have taken an interest in my water
supply, two things that may be of interest to you

1) you can claim compensation for low preasure (from Welsh water at
least), there is a specified test you must perfom. There is a minimum
preasure you should get.

2) I have massive high preasure, and a water meter, so from my
experience it seems you can have a meter and high preasure.

Rick

G&M

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
2) I have massive high preasure, and a water meter, so from my
experience it seems you can have a meter and high preasure.

But perhaps the pressure the other side of the meter is even more massive ?

troubleinstore

[...]

Mum had a water meter fitted at her bungalow a couple of years before she
passed away. There was no difference in water pressure and the bills were
massively reduced.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

tony sayer

In article , IMM writes

[...]

Can't say we noticed any pressure difference when they put ours in some
years ago.

What we *have* noticed is that the bills are a whole lot less than wot
they used to be

BTW its meter, not metre
--
Tony Sayer

Steve and Stephanie

I don't know if our pressure is right or not. My bathroom stand alone shower
which is pressure controlled (whatever that is) will not work now. Pre meter
days it did.
What has got me thinking is the tale of the central heating rep who was
insistant that the pipe work will have been changed to narrower ones and so
reducing pressure.
We also have a 'knocking' noise which only appeared after the change over
and dispite the water board coming out to look at it have never cured it.
One thing I do know, I tried the meter for six months and it cost more money
for that period than the half year cost of a none meter period.
So all in all it was not a good idea to change over.

I did phone United up this afternoon, I need to conduct a scientific test.
Can I fill a 2 gallon bucket in under a minute from the first cold tap in
the house. Didn't know I was on its a knockout.
Job for tomorrow.
Thanks for the comments.

IMM

[...]

As a matter of course, meter or not, you should have a full bore stop cock.
If one is not there, get one. The new installation may be disturbed slime
and debris in the pipework and crap has lodged itself around the water
system. Does the kitchen tap appear any different?

The Natural Philosopher

Default Fitting a water metre? IT'S A ****ING METER YOU DUNCE!

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

troubleinstore

[...]

I do not know your personal circumstances, but if it is costing you more
with a meter than without, I can only deduce that you have a family and are
therefore a large water consumer.

One day, we will all be on water meters, the sooner the better I think, that
way those who use more will quite rightly pay more for the amount of water
they use and retrospectively for the amount of water they waste
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk
Personal mail can be sent via website.
Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

I did phone United up this afternoon, I need to conduct a scientific test.
Can I fill a 2 gallon bucket in under a minute from the first cold tap in
the house. Didn't know I was on its a knockout.
Job for tomorrow.
Thanks for the comments.

---

Steve and Stephanie

If by full bore stopcock you mean the one that comes into the kitchen then I
have one.
Yes my kitchen tap is different, well the hot one anyway, its slow sending
the water out.
Thanks

As a matter of course, meter or not, you should have a full bore stop

cock.
If one is not there, get one. The new installation may be disturbed slime
and debris in the pipework and crap has lodged itself around the water
system. Does the kitchen tap appear any different?

Steve and Stephanie

Default Fitting a water metre? typing to quick for my own good

And you sir are incapable of adult dialogue.
Could I suggest that if you cannot write without swearing then you do
neither.

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Neil Jones

"troubleinstore" wrote in message

One day, we will all be on water meters, the sooner the better I

think, that
way those who use more will quite rightly pay more for the amount of

water
they use and retrospectively for the amount of water they waste
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk
Personal mail can be sent via website.

The people who should be on water meters are the water companies
themselves. Then perhaps Thames Water, for example, would try a bit
harder to reduce its leakage rate, estimated at 925 million litres per
day.

Neil

Jerry Built

Steve and Stephanie wrote:
And you sir are incapable of adult dialogue. Could I suggest
that if you cannot write without swearing then you do neither.

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote...
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

His swearing is in irregular metre.

Oh, BTW, see: http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s3

J.B.

Jerry Built

Neil Jones wrote:
The people who should be on water meters are the water companies
themselves. Then perhaps Thames Water, for example, would try a
bit harder to reduce its leakage rate, estimated at 925 million
litres per day.

I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1 cubic
kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to visualise.

J.B.

SteveS

"Jerry Built" wrote in message
news
Neil Jones wrote:
The people who should be on water meters are the water companies
themselves. Then perhaps Thames Water, for example, would try a
bit harder to reduce its leakage rate, estimated at 925 million
litres per day.

I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1 cubic
kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to visualise.

.... but evidently not easy to calculate. It's actually nearly 0.001 cubic
kilometres, or 1 million cubic metres.

Steve S

Neil Jones

Neil Jones wrote:
The people who should be on water meters are the water companies
themselves. Then perhaps Thames Water, for example, would try a
bit harder to reduce its leakage rate, estimated at 925 million
litres per day.

I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1 cubic
kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to visualise.

... but evidently not easy to calculate. It's actually nearly 0.001

cubic
kilometres, or 1 million cubic metres.

Steve S

Or to put it yet another way, it's a cube of water with sides 100m in
length.

Jerry Built

SteveS wrote:
"Jerry Built" wrote...
Neil Jones wrote:
The people who should be on water meters are the water companies
themselves. Then perhaps Thames Water, for example, would try a
bit harder to reduce its leakage rate, estimated at 925 million
litres per day.

I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1 cubic
kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to visualise.

... but evidently not easy to calculate. It's actually nearly
0.001 cubic kilometres, or 1 million cubic metres.

Oh ipddel. "I must make sure I read psotings properly". "I must
lay off the cider". Still, a lot of water.

J.B.

jacob

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Could be related to a yard of ale?
Conrad Edwards

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

At least it's a metric meter
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Pot, kettle.

HTH. HAND.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

"Jerry Built" wrote
| 925 million litres per day.
| I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1
| cubic kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to
| visualise.

I'm not sure that is easy to visualise, actually.

Could you convert it into journeys to the moon and back, football pitches,
or Waleses, please. We're all familiar with those from their frequent use on
television news.

Owain

Owain

How do you use a water meter as a ****ing meter? Wouldn't you get your knob
stuck and end up in A&E?

The only way I can imagine it working is if you ejaculate like a fire hose.

Owain

Pet

G&M wrote:

But perhaps the pressure the other side of the meter is even more massive ?

or massiver.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!
mike ring

Jerry Built wrote in news:FRFXK66038210.2436458333
@anonymous.poster:

... but evidently not easy to calculate. It's actually nearly
0.001 cubic kilometres, or 1 million cubic metres.

Oh ipddel. "I must make sure I read psotings properly". "I must
lay off the cider". Still, a lot of water.

It's the triple-damned Napoleon Gallic bleedin metric nonsense.

The trouble I have working out what cubic meters is in real water used.

( Lessee, a litre is a 1000 ccs, that's a cube 330 mm on a side, and a
meter is 30 odd of them, so cube the number you first... Oh Gawd, I give
up)

mike
Andy Hall

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:38:51 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

How do you use a water meter as a ****ing meter? Wouldn't you get your knob
stuck and end up in A&E?

The only way I can imagine it working is if you ejaculate like a fire hose.

Owain

Well, Owain, you know, there's those that can, and those that aspire.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Berenice

OH GOD NOT ANOTHER FOUL MOUTHED ILLITERATE USENET PEDANT!! STILL TRAPPED
IN THE 20TH CENTURY.

Capitol

Huge wrote:

"Steve and Stephanie" writes:

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

neither.
Could I suggest that if you cannot write without swearing then you do
And you sir are incapable of adult dialogue.

Chaucer swore. Shakespeare swore. Assorted Poet's Laureate did little
else. Playwrights galore. Filmmakers lauded with plaudits. All
foul mouthed.

Can I suggest that if you cannot tolerate a little language, then you
**** off to alt.disney.children or somesuch?

Oh, and learn to post the right way up.

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/news/doc/so1036.txt
http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccau...ks/uquote.html.
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?clue=topposting
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm
http://www.malibutelecom.fi/yucca/usenet/brox.html
http://www.newsreaders.com/
http://www.planefacts.ndirect.co.uk/group/advice/
http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html
http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s3
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Get your OE fixed here;

Boris

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:cfbp2v$8sk$4$8300dec7
@news.demon.co.uk:

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Spelling does not correlate well with intelligence. You will no doubt have
heard of dyslexia, if not, try http://www.interdys.org. People who suffer
this condition are frequently poor spellers yet may be highly intelligent,
and certainly not below average.

Reactions such as yours merely serve to reinforce the prejudice that these
people feel, and perpetuate a myth which should no longer exist in the 21st
century. Perhaps you will consider this next time you call someone a dunce
because they spell poorly.

Incidentally, the OP wasn't intending to fit anything, he wanted advice
before tackling someone about work done by others.

Also, "BLOODY" has no "T"

Boris

SteveS

"Owain" wrote in message
"Jerry Built" wrote
| 925 million litres per day.
| I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1
| cubic kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to
| visualise.

I'm not sure that is easy to visualise, actually.

Could you convert it into journeys to the moon and back, football pitches,
or Waleses, please. We're all familiar with those from their frequent use
on
television news.

Ummm... okay.

It's enough water for every Welsh woman to throw a bucketful over every
Welsh man and his sheep 60 times a day.

HTH,

Steve S

The Natural Philosopher

Boris wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:cfbp2v$8sk$4$8300dec7
@news.demon.co.uk:

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Spelling does not correlate well with intelligence. You will no doubt have
heard of dyslexia, if not, try http://www.interdys.org. People who suffer
this condition are frequently poor spellers yet may be highly intelligent,
and certainly not below average.

Intelligence is not directly correlated with ability to do DIY. Ability
to read instruction manuals may well be.

Reactions such as yours merely serve to reinforce the prejudice that these
people feel, and perpetuate a myth which should no longer exist in the 21st
century. Perhaps you will consider this next time you call someone a dunce
because they spell poorly.

Perhaps they are a dunce?

I do think you should get rid of the prejudices you have been inculcated
with tha all people are

(a) delicate shrinking violets and
(b) have no sense of humour

and
(c) are as dumb and ashamed of it as you seem to be.

Its not your fault the the all pervasive nature of 'Soshlist
Thinking-ah' has taught every teacher in every school that lack of
ability to do anything useful, is to be patronised, given a name, and
encouraged with faint praise (*and these daus a degree in 'Soshul
Studdies', whilst any merit and aptitude - whether by dint of being born
lucky, or hard work, is to be denigrated as 'anti social' and 'making
other people feel inadequate' or ultimately damned as 'elitist'.

Incidentally, the OP wasn't intending to fit anything, he wanted advice
before tackling someone about work done by others.

Also, "BLOODY" has no "T"

Don't be elitist.

You will me telling me next that Bliar has no Tony.

Boris

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Steve and Stephanie
wrote:

And you sir are incapable of adult dialogue.
Could I suggest that if you cannot write without swearing then you do
neither.

Could I suggest a little look here? It might be of great assistance:

RichardS

Default Fitting a water metre? IT'S A F*&!?NG METER YOU DUNCE!

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Ye gods, tad unfriendly for a post with no smileys, don't you think?

Of course, you'll have noticed that the OP spelt it correctly in the body of
the post, leading to the obvious conclusion that it was a typo rather than
speeling mistake.

Having waded through and decyphered countless posts from you, the flame was
a bit rich to say the least....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

The Natural Philosopher

RichardS wrote:

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Ye gods, tad unfriendly for a post with no smileys, don't you think?

Of course, you'll have noticed that the OP spelt it correctly in the body of
the post, leading to the obvious conclusion that it was a typo rather than
speeling mistake.

Having waded through and decyphered countless posts from you, the flame was
a bit rich to say the least....

Nothing if not blatant and unashamed Richard :-)

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

raden

In message , Huge
writes
"Steve and Stephanie" writes:

If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

neither.
Could I suggest that if you cannot write without swearing then you do
And you sir are incapable of adult dialogue.

Chaucer swore. Shakespeare swore. Assorted Poet's Laureate did little
else. Playwrights galore. Filmmakers lauded with plaudits. All
foul mouthed.

Can I suggest that if you cannot tolerate a little language, then you
**** off to alt.disney.children or somesuch?

Ooh, wash yer mouth out

--
geoff
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Now, that's bookmarked for future use

--
geoff
raden

In message , Jerry Built
writes
Neil Jones wrote:
The people who should be on water meters are the water companies
themselves. Then perhaps Thames Water, for example, would try a
bit harder to reduce its leakage rate, estimated at 925 million
litres per day.

I wonder how that is estimated.... it's very nearly 1 cubic
kilometre a day, to use units that are easy to visualise.

Sorry, apart from being way out (I think you added a few zeros there),
there are only two universal forms of comparative measurement, Olympic
swimming pools and the size of Wales

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Now, that's bookmarked for future use

Yup - such statements have a habit of haunting you to the grave...

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:41:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
raden wrote:
If you can't spell, what chance have you of fitting ANYTHING?

Now, that's bookmarked for future use

Yup - such statements have a habit of haunting you to the grave...

Like Occam's Razor and IMM's Hacksaw.