Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY manuals - are they still a thing?

On Monday, 16 March 2020 07:56:19 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...

Do they still do car manuals?

I thought they'd gone over to fictional works like How To Maintain Your Starship Enterprise.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 16 March 2020 01:29:12 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/03/2020 22:04, newshound wrote:
On 14/03/2020 14:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/03/2020 08:26, alan_m wrote:

Slightly before my time but I believe that was down to a DIY expert
on a TV program of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Bucknell

Also master of the spiral ratchet screwdriver. With flat blades.
Obviously everything was pilot drilled *and* assembled beforehand.

Yup, I don't recall seeing many of his programs (A bit before my time
really), but the prowess with the Yankee driver did stick in my mind. I
recall using one for the first time, and being a bit disappointed :-)
But then, I had not appreciated then that for the TV shows all the
holes were pre-drilled, and they had rehearsed the build first - so
the screws already knew where they were going!

Yankee screwdrivers are hopeless compared to even the cheapest cordless
screwdriver.

I bought my first Yankee screwdriver in 1960 - long before any cordless
screwdriver appeared on the market. I still use it and its big brother
which I bought a few years later.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 02:57, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2020 14:28, John Rumm wrote:

Which in one sense at least means they period features are preserved
and can be uncovered later.

Isn't "period feature" just estate agent speak for junk that need
modernisation?

For Philistines yes :-)

(although it does really depend on the feature. e.g. High ceilings are a
period feature - that does not mean they need modernizing).

Not all period features are good and some are just a PITA when it comes
to decorating.

I was persuaded once to start stripping the heavily paint period stair
spindles because the original bare wood would look nice. After stripping
3 it was evident that poor quality wood had been used and the spindles
were nailed top and bottom with the large nail holes filled with a soft
putty.

Yeah, well when they were built "unpainted" meant, not finished yet!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 March 2020 03:15:39 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 16/03/2020 02:38, tabbypurr wrote:

Yankee screwdrivers are hopeless compared to even the cheapest cordless screwdriver. It's not just the terrible mechanism, the drill bit geometry was way off too. Plus any sort of powerered screwdriver doesn't work well in an era of mostly slotted screws. It was just better than nothing.

Having used cordless drills in screwdriver mode for very many years I
purchased a cordless impact driver. It's another tool I wish I had
purchased earlier.

I got one from Lidl. It's pathetic & never used.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 March 2020 03:34:57 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I keep telling people that pine was the 19th and early 20th century
equivalent of MDF...

except that it looks nice and copes with normal household use. MDF doesn't look good & deteriorates from there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Yup, I don't recall seeing many of his programs (A bit before my time
really), but the prowess with the Yankee driver did stick in my mind. I
recall using one for the first time, and being a bit disappointed :-)
But then, I had not appreciated then that for the TV shows all the holes
were pre-drilled, and they had rehearsed the build first - so the screws
already knew where they were going!

To be fair, the studio carpenters in TV used them a lot - to say
strengthen a set after building, and where it wobbled etc. Drove screws
straight in with them. Am told the change to pozidrive cut down on minor
injuries considerably.

But I was never able to make one work like that. ;-)

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Yankee screwdrivers are hopeless compared to even the cheapest cordless
screwdriver.

True. But then no such thing as a cordless screwdriver existed in the
1950s.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...

They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...

They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

they weren't bad in the 70's and 80's but they got lazy as cars got more
complicated.........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 07:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...

In the 70s I looked at one in a shop supposedly for a Ford Capri.
Actually it was for a left hand drive US Mercury Capri with air con. (It
must be bad enough "reassembling in reverse order" without having to
reverse left and right as well.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these
days?...

They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

they weren't bad in the 70's and 80's but they got lazy as cars got more
complicated.........

I don't tink they were ever as bad as then rival manual I bought for my
Anglia. "If the windscreen wiper fails to operate, connect a 0-15v voltmeter
to the motor terminals and check that a current of 5 amps is being drawn."
{First find your motor terminals}

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...

They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

they weren't bad in the 70's and 80's but they got lazy as cars got more
complicated.........

Every time I looked at one, the bit I wanted to know about said 'take it
to your dealer'

But they all gave full details on how to de-coke an engine, long after
this ceased to be ever needed.

And the bits you really needed, like a wiring diagram, rubbish.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 02:57, alan_m wrote:

Isn't "period feature" just estate agent speak for junk that need
modernisation?

The words 'period' and 'dated' are used for the same feature depending
on whether the speaker thinks they should be retained and emphasized or
ripped out and replaced with 'modern'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/03/2020 14:28, John Rumm wrote:

Which in one sense at least means they period features are preserved and can be
uncovered later.

Isn't "period feature" just estate agent speak for junk that need modernisation?

"High Hopes" Mike Leigh 1988

Leslie Manville plays Leatitia and David Bamber plays Rupert.

Leatitia and Rupert live in a gentrified small terrace house in Hammersmith.
The house next door is lived in by a working class old lady played by
Edna Dore. By the state it's in, her house hasn't been touched since the
day it was built. Leatitia and Rupert have never even spoken to the
old lady up to now ,but now there's a crisis and they have to go into
her house.
Lesley Manville as Laetitia in her best posho voice looks around the
old ladies front room and says to the uncomprehending Edna Dore
character with her lived in face "Oh my dear aren't you so lucky !
You've still got all your original features!"

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...

They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get
for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

they weren't bad in the 70's and 80's but they got lazy as cars got
more complicated.........

Court ruling on copyright killed them. They had to own a model of the
car to prove they had learned by dismantling it rather than copying the
official workshop manual.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message ...
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these days?...
They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

they weren't bad in the 70's and 80's but they got lazy as cars got more
complicated.........

Court ruling on copyright killed them. They had to own a model of the car to prove they
had learned by dismantling it rather than copying the official workshop manual.

I stand to be corrected but didn't they feature photos of
the actual operations being carried out ? Which if they'd
been copied from the workshop manuals would have been a bit
of a giveaway, shirley ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 22:36, michael adams wrote:

I stand to be corrected but didn't they feature photos of
the actual operations being carried out ? Which if they'd
been copied from the workshop manuals would have been a bit
of a giveaway, shirley ?

Do you mean those random photos which never seemed to match what was on
your car?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 22:17, bert wrote:
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
has anybody else noticed that Haynes car manuals are rubbish these
days?...
Â*They always were, compared to factory manuals, which you could get for
most cars. Cost a lot more than Haynes, though.

they weren't bad in the 70's and 80's but they got lazy as cars got
more complicated.........

Court ruling on copyright killed them. They had to own a model of the
car to prove they had learned by dismantling it rather than copying the
official workshop manual.

I'm sure they always did that but started missing out bits ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2020 07:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/03/2020 03:22, alan_m wrote:
On 16/03/2020 22:36, michael adams wrote:

I stand to be corrected but didn't they feature photos of
the actual operations being carried out ? Which if they'd
been copied from the workshop manuals would have been a bit
of a giveaway, shirley ?

Do you mean those random photos which never seemed to match what was
on your car?

these are them ...

these are those ? ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 17/03/2020 07:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/03/2020 03:22, alan_m wrote:
On 16/03/2020 22:36, michael adams wrote:

I stand to be corrected but didn't they feature photos of
the actual operations being carried out ? Which if they'd
been copied from the workshop manuals would have been a bit
of a giveaway, shirley ?

Do you mean those random photos which never seemed to match what was
on your car?

these are them ...

these are those ? ..

those are they??
--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 17/03/2020 07:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/03/2020 03:22, alan_m wrote:
On 16/03/2020 22:36, michael adams wrote:

I stand to be corrected but didn't they feature photos of
the actual operations being carried out ? Which if they'd
been copied from the workshop manuals would have been a bit
of a giveaway, shirley ?

Do you mean those random photos which never seemed to match what was
on your car?

these are them ...

these are those ? ..

those are they??

These are they...

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 8:56:23 AM UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I found a Yankee when clearing out my dad's garage. Cleaned and oiled it and then decided I treasure my fingers too much to try it out in anger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Halmyre writes
wrote:
[...]

I used one when they were popular. AFAIR they were just about usable if
you didn't allow the scroll to reach the travel end.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message ,
Halmyre writes
wrote:
[...]

the important thing is to grip the knurled ring at the end away from where
you push. It holds the blade in place.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I got one from Lidl. It's pathetic & never used.

Well that should teach you :-)

Very rare for any Lidl power tool to be useless. And if it is, you have a
three year money back warranty...

(My Makita ones are *very* good and used extensively)

I'm still using my tiny makita as recommended on here yonks ago, and is as
amazing now as then.

I did buy a Lidl cordless impact driver fairly recently. But it's the size
of a cordless drill and really made for nuts and bolts and takes sockets.
It made short work of undoing the crank pulley bolt on the old Rover,
which is extremely tight - about 130 lb.ft when tightening.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 14:22:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
NT

I got one from Lidl. It's pathetic & never used.

Well that should teach you :-)

It has, I've never bought another parklife tool from Lidl. I've never had a patheticness problem with Aldi tools, though too many have failed.

NT

Very rare for any Lidl power tool to be useless. And if it is, you have a
three year money back warranty...

(My Makita ones are *very* good and used extensively)

I'm still using my tiny makita as recommended on here yonks ago, and is as
amazing now as then.

I did buy a Lidl cordless impact driver fairly recently. But it's the size
of a cordless drill and really made for nuts and bolts and takes sockets.
It made short work of undoing the crank pulley bolt on the old Rover,
which is extremely tight - about 130 lb.ft when tightening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2020 14:06, charles wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message ,
Halmyre writes
wrote:
[...]

Many worksites banned them years ago, as being too prone to slipping and
causing injury or, more likely, damaging surfaces.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Halmyre writes
wrote:
[...]

I still have my Stanley version, lovely wooden handle, really nice to
grip. Unfortunately I managed to bend the shaft but I haven't the heart
to throw it away.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 21:50:28 +0000, bert wrote:

I still have my Stanley version, lovely wooden handle, really nice to
grip. Unfortunately I managed to bend the shaft but I haven't the heart
to throw it away.

Tried bending it straight again?

(It's what I would do. Even if I'm not going to use it, except maybe as a long
ratcheting screwdriver, with the push thing locked.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/20 07:28, Steve Walker wrote:
On 17/03/2020 14:06, charles wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message ,
Halmyre writes
wrote:
[...]

Back when I had one we only had slotted screws which they kept slipping
out of, if we had philips it would have been different
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/20 07:28, Steve Walker wrote:
On 17/03/2020 14:06, charles wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb