Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default DIY manuals - are they still a thing?

On 18/03/20 07:28, Steve Walker wrote:
On 17/03/2020 14:06, charles wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message ,
Halmyre writes
On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 8:56:23 AM UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 16 March 2020 01:29:12 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/03/2020 22:04, newshound wrote:
On 14/03/2020 14:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/03/2020 08:26, alan_m wrote:

Slightly before my time but I believe that was down to a DIY
expert on a TV program of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Bucknell

Also master of the spiral ratchet screwdriver. With flat blades.
Obviously everything was pilot drilled *and* assembled
beforehand.

Yup, I don't recall seeing many of his programs (A bit before my
time really), but the prowess with the Yankee driver did stick in
my mind. I recall using one for the first time, and being a bit
disappointed :-) But then, I had not appreciated then that for the
TV shows all the holes were pre-drilled, and they had rehearsed
the build first - so the screws already knew where they were going!

Yankee screwdrivers are hopeless compared to even the cheapest
cordless screwdriver.

I bought my first Yankee screwdriver in 1960 - long before any
cordless screwdriver appeared on the market. I still use it and its
big brother which I bought a few years later.

I found a Yankee when clearing out my dad's garage. Cleaned and oiled
it and then decided I treasure my fingers too much to try it out in
anger.

I used one when they were popular. AFAIR they were just about usable if
you didn't allow the scroll to reach the travel end.

the important thing is to grip the knurled ring at the end away from
where
you push. It holds the blade in place.

Many worksites banned them years ago, as being too prone to slipping and
causing injury or, more likely, damaging surfaces.

SteveW

Back when I had one we only had slotted screws which they kept slipping
out of, if we had philips it would have been different