Mike Mitchell

Default What is type of gate?

What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

MM

Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:22:12 +0100, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

MM

kissing gate

Man, that is exactly right! Now you mention it, I have heard the term
before, and quickly found a picture on the web.

Ta muchly!

MM
Andy Hall

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:20:32 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

MM

I've always heard them referred to as kissing gates.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Neil Jones

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands

in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go

out
the other side.

MM

kissing gate

Man, that is exactly right! Now you mention it, I have heard the term
before, and quickly found a picture on the web.

Ta muchly!

MM

Glad to be of service :-)

Richard Sterry

wrote:

What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

MM

I've always heard them referred to as kissing gates.

Ditto, and it's a traditional use that t'owd woman and I like to keep up - a
quick snog if no-one else is waiting to come through!

Rick

Mary Fisher

wrote:

What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

MM

I've always heard them referred to as kissing gates.

Ditto, and it's a traditional use that t'owd woman and I like to keep up -

quick snog if no-one else is waiting to come through!

Oh! The only one to say that people actually do kill when going through
them!

The first person goes through but the second can't have access until he or
she kisses the first.

POWER!

I love them.

Mary
(you don't have to be married to the one going through first - or second.
I've had lots of nice experiences with strangers :-)

Rick

Bob Eager

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:15:33 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Oh! The only one to say that people actually do kill when going through
them!

Sounds a bit extreme to me.....!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

Pet

G&M wrote:

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

And if you've ever tried getting through one with 2 dogs (one being a
small Great Dane), and a baby/rucksack on your back, a F***ing PITA gate
is a fairly mild description!

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!
Mike Mitchell

wrote:

[...]

Hey, if only kissing gates could talk!

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:16:30 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while
allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass. (Mary, as per usual, allowed my
mind to wander. She's so good at that. Maybe we met at a gate once in
a former life.)

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:33:55 GMT, Pet wrote:

G&M wrote:

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

And if you've ever tried getting through one with 2 dogs (one being a
small Great Dane), and a baby/rucksack on your back, a F***ing PITA gate
is a fairly mild description!

I think making offhand references to the "smallness" of Great Danes
could be construed as animal abuse in some quarters. Imagine what the
poor Great Danes might be thinking if they happened to hear such
comments about their stature. They could develop a complex.

"Hey, Mum, I'm not a Small Dane, am I? I'm a Great Dane!"

"Shaddup and eat your burglar!"

MM
PeterMcC

Mary Fisher wrote in

wrote:

What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands
in the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to
go out the other side.

MM

I've always heard them referred to as kissing gates.

Ditto, and it's a traditional use that t'owd woman and I like to
keep up - a quick snog if no-one else is waiting to come through!

Oh! The only one to say that people actually do kill when going
through them!

Dying for a kiss?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Mary Fisher

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while
allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass. (Mary, as per usual, allowed my
mind to wander. She's so good at that. Maybe we met at a gate once in
a former life.)

If so I'm sorry that it wasn't memorable :-)

But I do agree that kissing gates make difficulties for trolls, their little
minds simply can't work out how to manage them ... perhaps that's why they
have dogs and babies with them, to offer advice.

Mary

MM

mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
. net:

But I do agree that kissing gates make difficulties for trolls,

Well, trolls are more at home under bridges
their
little minds simply can't work out how to manage them ... perhaps
that's why they have dogs and babies with them,

but no billygoats?

mike
G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a

stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while
allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass.

Fine. But how do you think the animals get in there in the first place.
If walkers would just shut the gates behind them, we wouldn't need these
things everywhere.

Alex

"G&M" wrote in message

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go

out
the other side.

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a

stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while
allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass.

Fine. But how do you think the animals get in there in the first place.
If walkers would just shut the gates behind them, we wouldn't need these
things everywhere.

Our local council (Guildford borough) has started putting these up all over
the place.

There is a particular example near St. Marthas hill where they have managed
to block any disabled access to the whole area (which is otherwise excellent
for wheelchair users).

If I don't hear back from the council soon, I'm deciding which would be more
fun - go at it with a Husqvarna or tow it out of the ground with my car?

Alex

G&M

"Alex" wrote in message
Our local council (Guildford borough) has started putting these up all

over
the place.

There is a particular example near St. Marthas hill where they have

managed
to block any disabled access to the whole area (which is otherwise

excellent
for wheelchair users).

If I don't hear back from the council soon, I'm deciding which would be

more
fun - go at it with a Husqvarna or tow it out of the ground with my car?

Glad somebody else hates them. If it was nearer I'd lend you a team of
cows to uproute the b***y thing, then you coul dput it down to natural
causes :-)

MBQ

"G&M" wrote in message ...
"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out
the other side.

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a

stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while
allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass.

Fine. But how do you think the animals get in there in the first place.
If walkers would just shut the gates behind them, we wouldn't need these
things everywhere.

So they can get out the same way they came in.

MBQ
G&M

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
"G&M" wrote in message

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself
swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands

in
the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go

out
the other side.

F***ing pain in the ass gate ? At least you can get a sheep over a

stile
itself with a kick up the backside.

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while
allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass.

Fine. But how do you think the animals get in there in the first

place.
If walkers would just shut the gates behind them, we wouldn't need these
things everywhere.

So they can get out the same way they came in.

As somebody else pointed out, local councils have a habit of installing
these things on their pathways, in summer of course, forgetting that it
isn't only walkers who use the paths. You come to move the animals and ...
oh ****, there's a FPITA gate in the way.

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:48:45 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"MBQ" wrote in message
. com...
"G&M" wrote in message

[...]

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

MM
Colin Wilson

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

Ours knows how to operate the gate itself :-p

G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:14:21 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Elephants and kangeroos! Anyone can play that game.

Your point?

MM
G&M

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Elephants and kangeroos! Anyone can play that game.

I would have thought it obvious but if you must play this game : How does
one get cows and sheep through a kissing gate ?

Mike Mitchell

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Elephants and kangeroos! Anyone can play that game.

I would have thought it obvious but if you must play this game : How does
one get cows and sheep through a kissing gate ?

You're not a farmer are you! Farmers typically get cows and sheep into
their fields by means of cranes, catapaults or hot air balloons. Once
a farmer did try to patent a five-bar kissing gate, but his mates said
he'd never get planning permission for something that complex. Also,
there are the tunnels, of course. Every farmer knows a secret tunnel
somewhere under the fence that he can get the cows and sheep through.
I think they were all built during the war in case Jerry came and we
had to find somewhere else to live. Getting elephants and kangeroos
shifted is a bit of a problem, though. Mind you, they do say that you
can just tell kangeroos to hop it. I haven't been able to test this
myself as I am firmly wedged into this 'ere kissing gate and cannot
move a muscle, let alone be on the lookout for kangeroos.

MM
Mike Mitchell

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Elephants and kangeroos! Anyone can play that game.

Cod.

Postmen are not allowed to accept money, sorry.

MM

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've

seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Elephants and kangeroos! Anyone can play that game.

Cod.

Postmen are not allowed to accept money, sorry.

Royal Mail just isn't fun any more :-(

Mary

MM

Mary Fisher

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:10:04 +0100, "G&M"

I would have thought it obvious but if you must play this game : How does
one get cows and sheep through a kissing gate ?

You're not a farmer are you! Farmers typically get cows and sheep into
their fields by means of cranes, catapaults or hot air balloons.

Really? I've never seen that. I've only seen them go through holes in
hedges.

Once
a farmer did try to patent a five-bar kissing gate, but his mates said
he'd never get planning permission for something that complex. Also,
there are the tunnels, of course. Every farmer knows a secret tunnel
somewhere under the fence that he can get the cows and sheep through.
I think they were all built during the war in case Jerry came and we
had to find somewhere else to live. Getting elephants and kangeroos
shifted is a bit of a problem, though. Mind you, they do say that you
can just tell kangeroos to hop it. I haven't been able to test this
myself as I am firmly wedged into this 'ere kissing gate and cannot
move a muscle, let alone be on the lookout for kangeroos.

If you stay there long enough you'll starve and won't be wedged any more.

Or you could reply to this giving your location and I'll come and kiss you
out.

I bet you try the former. I would.

Mary

MM

Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:05:35 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]

Let me indulge my fantasies and opt for the latter!

MM
Mike Mitchell

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've

seen
people do it many times.

Cows and sheep !

Elephants and kangeroos! Anyone can play that game.

Cod.

Postmen are not allowed to accept money, sorry.

Royal Mail just isn't fun any more :-(

It is if you spell it M-a-l-e. Hello, sailor!

MM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

[...]

Hmm. Perhaps you should see a picture first ...

Mary

MM

Mike Mitchell

wrote:

[...]

No, thanks! I said I wanted to indulge my fantasies!

MM
Mary Fisher

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

If you stay there long enough you'll starve and won't be wedged any

more.

Or you could reply to this giving your location and I'll come and kiss

you
out.

I bet you try the former. I would.

Let me indulge my fantasies and opt for the latter!

Hmm. Perhaps you should see a picture first ...

No, thanks! I said I wanted to indulge my fantasies!

Oh, some might say that I was fantastic :-)

Mary

MM