David Henkemeyer

Default Outdoor Cedar Gate -- what type of joinery?

Since I can't find much on the web, I was wondering if someone can help me
out with a specific question. What kind of joinery should I use to build a
wood gate such as the one he
http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/images_g/g_33.htm

I assume mortise and tenon, but how much glue, what kind of glue, should I
use pins, how many pins per tenon, and what should the arrangement of the
pins be?

Also, should I worry much about expansion/contraction? How should I take
that into account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David

George

Sure, M&T, with the upper lattice and lower panel floating, I imagine.
Long mortises, perhaps even bridle joints, and a nice urea-formaldehyde or
poly glue would do. More end grain you get bearing the better it'll resist
wracking.

Two pins per tenon is my limit, though three is possible. Just don't put
them in a straight line along the grain.

"David Henkemeyer" wrote in message
Since I can't find much on the web, I was wondering if someone can help me
out with a specific question. What kind of joinery should I use to build

wood gate such as the one he
http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/images_g/g_33.htm

I assume mortise and tenon, but how much glue, what kind of glue, should I
use pins, how many pins per tenon, and what should the arrangement of the
pins be?

Also, should I worry much about expansion/contraction? How should I take
that into account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David

JackD

"David Henkemeyer" wrote in message
Since I can't find much on the web, I was wondering if someone can help me
out with a specific question. What kind of joinery should I use to build

wood gate such as the one he
http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/images_g/g_33.htm

I assume mortise and tenon, but how much glue, what kind of glue, should I
use pins, how many pins per tenon, and what should the arrangement of the
pins be?

Also, should I worry much about expansion/contraction? How should I take
that into account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David

Design it so that it doesn't trap water/dirt/leaves anywhere. I've used
gorilla glue for outdoor use and it has stood up fine for the past 5 years.
As for the rest of the design, do what you like. Have fun.

-Jack

ELA

Put your favorite flavor stain/sealer all over otherwise you'll get huge
swings in size as the cedar absorbs and releases moisture. I learned the
wrong way Being the complete idiot I am I shaved the side of the gate so
it would close in the winter. Now, in the summer, it's loose as a goose.
Time to make another one me thinks!

ELA

"JackD" wrote in message ...

[...]

Rob Stokes

I built this one:
http://www.robswoodworking.com/photo3.html

(scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the pic to make it
bigger) using M&T joinery. I did the top "rail" as a "cap" and the bottom
rail normally to watch the differences in the way the wood moved in the
weather (not much difference). I actually "visited" the gate last weekend
and it's holding up like it was new. Glue is Gorilla glue and the gate
required one year of occasional planing to assure a good fit.

Good luck
Rob