Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:04 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:04:44 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

Thought you'd been driving for some time - but never heard of 'heel and
toe' ? Operating both brake and accelerator simultaneously with the right
foot?

Don¢t even need to do that unless it¢s a decent slope up hill.

NOBODY asked YOU anything, you sleepless senile pest!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:03:03 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. **** that.

Your next "car" will be the undertaker's hearse, you 85-year-old trolling
senile pest!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fog lights MOT

On Saturday, 25 January 2020 13:29:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
Villages have idiots

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is
no fog?

I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the
last 20 years.

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

Very rarely. But no different from those who put headlights on as soon as
they see a cloud.

Many cars put their own lights on - just overcast at this time of year can be enough to trigger it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Friday, 24 January 2020 07:32:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
On 23/01/2020 20:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity
rear fog lamp?

some very old buses have ONEÂ* rear light and it is still legal to have
them on the road and it is not an MOT failure....

I understand that rules for old vehicles are different, but on a
vehicle which otherwise has a full set of lights on both sides, it
seems odd to allow a single HIRF.

I agree. The lighting regulations baffle me: they allow a single rear
fog light and yet you can be prosecuted for having a "single" tail light
(due to a bulb failure). And they allow indicators which are very close
to (and therefore masked by) headlights or brake lights. Some VW Golfs
are guilty of the rear indicator which is almost invisible when the
driver brakes. Almost every car made in the last 30 years has its front
indicators in the same housing as the headlights and so very hard to see
at night on an oncoming car.

The indicator problem does not cause BMW divers any problems does it:-).

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
[...]

I had a test drive in a BMW. I was driving about with the salesman in
the passenger seat and he directed me to suitable roads for different
styles of BMW driving. ( i.e. one road for being right up someone's
arse, another for pulling out without indicating, another for using full
beam and rear fogs in a city in daylight etc. usual BMW tricks.)

He told me to take a right turn and naturally I signalled right. I said
"boy that's stiff, if it takes that much effort no wonder BMW drivers
never indicate!" He did not seem to find that funny. I did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

On 25/01/2020 14:55, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

--

Adam

They don't make fog like they used to. I've done about 30,000 miles a
year from 1980 to 2010 and I really only recollect a couple of occasions
when rear foglights weren't a positive nuisance. OTOH I remember 2
weeks of freezing fog in Leeds in the 1960s when you couldn't see a lamp
post at arm's length.

I'm surprised you did not in those 30 years meet falling snow which
reduced visibility well below 100m. I did just while commuting 16 miles
a day in London!

I suppose I often had a bit of flexibility over travelling times, and we
don't get so much snow in the West of the UK.
--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My memory is that you are supposed to put your fog lights on when visibility is less than 100 metres - lots of people put them on when you it is indeed a bit foggy but you can easily see more than 100M - and then leave them on!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 20:52, Brian Reay wrote:
mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/01/2020 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
[...]

Audi and BMW just attract scumbags...simples
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear fog
lamp?

Presumably so it isnt easily confused with a car coming towards you.

rear fogs are red you dumb **** !

Not if you are Red/Green colour blind.

Er no they are still red.

Are you sure ?.

I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/01/2020 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
[...]

Considering the small percentage they are of the car fleet, Subaru seem to be pretty attractive to quite a lot of the drivers I'd rather not see on the road.

Where in the UK seems possibly at least as much an issue as badge. Other than cars which have been tarted up in various ways, and Subaru, I'd say I find it nearly impossible to point a finger at a car and predict how the driver will behave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 10:45:19 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 25/01/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear fog
lamp?

Presumably so it isnt easily confused with a car coming towards you.

rear fogs are red you dumb **** !

Not if you are Red/Green colour blind.

Er no they are still red.

Are you sure ?.

I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

I think that the colours are defined in terms of wavelength(s) so they really are red even if some individuals cannot perceive that as different to green (or whatever).

I have argued that, now we have nearly universal LEDs, traffic lights should have shapes to help further with identification. Starting with octagonal red for Stop. Should be trivial to achieve - and it would have been better if they had started doing so when the earliest LEDs were being installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
They don't make fog like they used to. I've done about 30,000 miles a
year from 1980 to 2010 and I really only recollect a couple of occasions
when rear foglights weren't a positive nuisance. OTOH I remember 2
weeks of freezing fog in Leeds in the 1960s when you couldn't see a lamp
post at arm's length.

I'm surprised you did not in those 30 years meet falling snow which
reduced visibility well below 100m. I did just while commuting 16 miles
a day in London!

Quite. Calling them fog lights is stupid. You're just as likely to have
the same poor visibility due to heavy rain or snow. I'd say heavy rain far
more common than fog these days.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ray wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Trouble is, the other car I drive regularly is also automatic but has
a manual handbrake and I do have to think about it when I switch over.

My auto is a PDK (twin clutch) which uses a friction clutch rather
than torque convertor. It is set to creep - to replicate a TC auto. If
you use the handbrake, the creep function is still engaged. So when
stopping at traffic lights etc I put it in park. No need for either
foot or handbrake then. To avoid unnecessary wear on the clutch.

I did just once just use the handbrake and leave it in drive. Until
getting stuck in a massive traffic jam last summer. On moving off, got
quite bad clutch judder. So guessed it had overheated. Given the cost
of a replacement transmission, moving the gearlever seems a small
price to pay.

Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. **** that.

Other than the above, it's brilliant. Although I've no experience of a TC
transmission with the same number (7) of gears. Unlike the earlier single
clutch (SMG) type boxes, it's smooth as silk when not in a rush. Quite
difficult to tell when it changes gear - other than by the indicator.

I would add the clutch judder happened on a very hot summer's day in an
usually bad traffic jam, due to an accident on a trunk road. And hasn't
happened since.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

By the time you could read that you'd be too close to do anything about it?

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/01/2020 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
[...]

You don't see so many hot Impreza's any more. They used to be really
common with after-market go fast accessories and an exhaust pipe the
size of a sewer. Probably many succumbed to tin worm as the newest
classic shape will be 13yrs old now. I bet plenty were lost to the fact
that the driver's ability in practice was not as good as the driver's
ability in theory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/01/2020 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
[...]

A few round here - and some other Subarus, maybe Foresters?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

[...]

But is there any point given that colour-blind drivers
clearly can work out whether the traffic light is showing
red or green or yellow by which of the 3 lights is lit ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Sure, but I am ****ed if I am going to fart around
putting it out of drive every time I have to stop for
long in traffic.

Although I've no experience of a TC
transmission with the same number (7) of gears. Unlike the earlier single
clutch (SMG) type boxes, it's smooth as silk when not in a rush. Quite
difficult to tell when it changes gear - other than by the indicator.

I would add the clutch judder happened on a very hot summer's day in an
usually bad traffic jam, due to an accident on a trunk road. And hasn't
happened since.

But you do take it out of drive most of the time now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/01/2020 10:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I'd say I find it nearly impossible to point a finger at a car and predict how the driver will behave.

I have a 90% success rate at playing "spot the split arse".

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 14:43:24 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 26/01/2020 10:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I'd say I find it nearly impossible to point a finger at a car and predict how the driver will behave.

I have a 90% success rate at playing "spot the split arse".

Not just from make, though. Behaviour is, IME, far more of a guide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/01/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear fog
lamp?

Presumably so it isnt easily confused with a car coming towards you.

rear fogs are red you dumb **** !

Not if you are Red/Green colour blind.

Er no they are still red.

Are you sure ?.

I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

I think that the colours are defined in terms of wavelength(s) so they really are red even if some individuals cannot perceive that as different to green (or whatever).

Japan uses an almost blue colour not green for go. The colour is
actually defined as green by international standards.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 10:45:19 UTC, AndrewÂ* wrote:
On 25/01/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity
rear fog
lamp?

Presumably so it isnt easily confused with a car coming towards you.

rear fogs are red you dumb **** !

Not if you are Red/Green colour blind.

Er no they are still red.

Are you sure ?.

I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

I think that the colours are defined in terms of wavelength(s) so they
really are red even if some individuals cannot perceive that as
different to greenÂ* (or whatever).

Japan uses an almost blue colour not green for go. The colour is
actually defined as green by international standards.

Cyan, a mixture of green and blue sounds eminently sensible. It would
overcome the most common red/green colour blindness.

Having said that, I recall a friend saying they had difficulty in
differentiating between old yellow sodium street lamps and red lights!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

[...]

That would confuse the residents of Larkhall.
https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-1501...white-1-916560

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ray wrote:
Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. **** that.

Other than the above, it's brilliant.

Sure, but I am ****ed if I am going to fart around
putting it out of drive every time I have to stop for
long in traffic.

Actually less effort than putting on the handbrake. I don't like having
the brake lights on all the time I'm stopped. When you know you're going
to be stopped for some time like at traffic lights.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
Having said that, I recall a friend saying they had difficulty in
differentiating between old yellow sodium street lamps and red lights!

Low pressure sodium is a narrow bandwidth source and the colour it is
closest to varies quite a bit to the individual.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

By the time you could read that you'd be too close to do anything about it?

I think there was also a Braille version:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray wrote:
Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. **** that.

Other than the above, it's brilliant.

Sure, but I am ****ed if I am going to fart around
putting it out of drive every time I have to stop for
long in traffic.

Actually less effort than putting on the handbrake.

Sure, but I never do that. I do use the handbrake
when starting off up a steep hill after stopping in
traffic, instead of doing the alternative heal and toe
approach, but never use the hand brake when when
stopped in traffic. Always use it when parked.

I don't like having the brake lights
on all the time I'm stopped.

I don’t care.

When you know you're going to be stopped
for some time like at traffic lights.

I don’t care and never find that I ease off on
the brake pedal and find the car moving either.

I might turn the engine off and apply the handbrake
when it a very long line of stopped traffic after a major
accident that sees the road closed completely for hours
but that’s so rare that its not worth considering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/01/2020 14:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 14:43:24 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 26/01/2020 10:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I'd say I find it nearly impossible to point a finger at a car and predict how the driver will behave.

I have a 90% success rate at playing "spot the split arse".

Not just from make, though. Behaviour is, IME, far more of a guide.

Yes I agree, but the make and model does help on occasions.

Have you ever played the game?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:31:42 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

01:31??? So it will be ANOTHER long, miserable lonely night of incessant
trolling for you, eh, my senile punching bag? LOL

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:41 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 02:41:44 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

02:41??? LOL And you've been up and trolling since 01:25 this night ...yet
AGAIN! Seriously, little idiot, why don't you take your Nembutal?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 15:43:51 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 26/01/2020 14:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 14:43:24 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 26/01/2020 10:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I'd say I find it nearly impossible to point a finger at a car and predict how the driver will behave.

I have a 90% success rate at playing "spot the split arse".

Not just from make, though. Behaviour is, IME, far more of a guide.

Yes I agree, but the make and model does help on occasions.

Have you ever played the game?

No - and I don't know how to - just took a punt at thinking I got the drift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 04:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Audi and BMW just attract scumbags...simples

BMW British Motoring Winker (spelling of the last word?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 24/01/2020 11:18, NY wrote:
Sadly, more and more drivers use their footbrake all the time that
they are stopped - do they even know where the handbrake is? I
suspect the worst culprits are those with automatic transmission who
stay in Drive with the footbrake on to prevent them creeping
forwards, rather than knocking it into neutral until they are about
to set off again.

The use of the handbrake is mandatory in a clutched car. Your left foot
has to be on the clutch and the right on the accelerator.
In the case of an automatioc its almost the exact opposite. You have to
learn to left foot brake to control the car in the same way you can a
clutched car: that is, fixed accelerator and then control uptake on the
left foot by releasing the brake insietd of the clutch.

My current car has an electric motorised handbrake. It's called a
'parking brake' and thats ALL it is designed for, and its riddy awkward
to iuse in a traffic queue on a slope as it takes an appreciable time
to disengage

Drove an automatic RR Evoque recently. Automatically prevented creep,
automatically prevented roll back, automatically released brake when
accelerator pressed. I think it would have wiped my a*** if only I could
have found the right menu option. Driving is being de skilled.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I thought old fashioned traffic lights also had the
word STOP in black so that colour-blind people would know
that the red light was showing ?.

By the time you could read that you'd be too close to do anything
about it?

I think there was also a Braille version:-)

Only on request.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 11:18, NY wrote:
[...]

No roller would stoop to that level.

Driving is being de skilled.

Yes, but that's a good thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 07:40 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER SIX HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:40:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile ****

07:40??? LOL And STILL not bedtime for you, cretin from Oz?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 11:18, NY wrote:
[...]

Yes - my car does everything but the wipe. And stops/starts itself in traffic. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 11:18, NY wrote:
[...]

The Hondas will even do fully auto cruise control in stop start traffic
jams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:50:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

08:50??? And STILL not bedtime for you, senile cretin? Do you KNOW what a
laughing stock you are? LOL

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"

Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 christmaslightinginstall.blogs… — Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 We sale christmas lights and install them for you, house lights, holiday lights, trees lights, christmas lights Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 24th 08 07:02 PM
Lights Lights Christmas Lights Installation Los Angeles, BeverlyHills, Santa Monica, Culver City, Marina Del Rey, Calabasas, Agoura HillsThousand Oaks Holiday Lights Installation 1-310-925-1720 Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 15th 08 02:25 AM
Survey: main beam AND fog lights in your area ? Father Kylesmas UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 06:58 PM
Lights in fog Alan Holmes UK diy 1 November 28th 05 11:47 PM
Lights in fog Alan Holmes UK diy 0 November 26th 05 02:41 PM