Posted to uk.d-i-y
mm0fmf[_2_] mm0fmf[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

On 25/01/2020 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Friday, 24 January 2020 07:32:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
On 23/01/2020 20:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is
turned off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity
rear fog lamp?

some very old buses have ONEÂ* rear light and it is still legal to have
them on the road and it is not an MOT failure....

I understand that rules for old vehicles are different, but on a
vehicle which otherwise has a full set of lights on both sides, it
seems odd to allow a single HIRF.

I agree. The lighting regulations baffle me: they allow a single rear
fog light and yet you can be prosecuted for having a "single" tail
light (due to a bulb failure). And they allow indicators which are
very close to (and therefore masked by) headlights or brake lights.
Some VW Golfs are guilty of the rear indicator which is almost
invisible when the driver brakes. Almost every car made in the last 30
years has its front indicators in the same housing as the headlights
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

The indicator problem does not cause BMW divers any problems does it:-).

I had a test drive in a BMW. I was driving about with the salesman in
the passenger seat and he directed me to suitable roads for different
styles of BMW driving. ( i.e. one road for being right up someone's
arse, another for pulling out without indicating, another for using full
beam and rear fogs in a city in daylight etc. usual BMW tricks.)

He told me to take a right turn and naturally I signalled right. I said
"boy that's stiff, if it takes that much effort no wonder BMW drivers
never indicate!" He did not seem to find that funny. I did.