Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

On 24/01/2020 18:29, mm0fmf wrote:
On 24/01/2020 10:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
If you find them dazzling, do you by any chance have a problem with
your eyes?

He has a problem in that he wears his wife's underwear.

Does he need to use a belt to hold her knickers up when he is wearing them?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 10:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 24 January 2020 09:16:47 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/01/2020 09:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Â*And they allow indicators which are very close
to (and therefore masked by) headlights or brake lights. Some VW Golfs
are guilty of the rear indicator which is almost invisible when the
driver brakes. Almost every car made in the last 30 years has its
front indicators in the same housing as the headlights and so very
hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

spot on the worse ones are the indicator in the middle of the circular
parking light.....but loads of front indicators are away from the
headlights though..... also LEDs shouldn't be allowed on cars.....

DRLs should also be banned...stupid dazzling things....

If you find them dazzling, do you by any chance have a problem with your eyes?

I have been very happy to see them on all manner of vehicles in situations where sight of the vehicle might othrwise have been impaired. Do remember that they can make a big difference when going from bright sun to stygian blackness of a bridge. And, when cycling, I have found it much more difficult to see and maintain awareness of vehicles behind me when they are grey (current top colour), and the weather is grey, and the road is grey... DRLs help a lot.

better than 20 20 vision here.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 11:18, NY wrote:
Sadly, more and more drivers use their footbrake all the time that
they are stopped - do they even know where the handbrake is? I suspect
the worst culprits are those with automatic transmission who stay in
Drive with the footbrake on to prevent them creeping forwards, rather
than knocking it into neutral until they are about to set off again.

The use of the handbrake is mandatory in a clutched car. Your left foot
has to be on the clutch and the right on the accelerator.
In the case of an automatioc its almost the exact opposite. You have to
learn to left foot brake to control the car in theÂ* same way you can a
clutched car: that is, fixed accelerator and then control uptake on the
left foot by releasing the brake insietd of the clutch.

My current car has an electric motorised handbrake. It's called a
'parking brake' and thats ALL it is designed for, and its riddy awkward
to iuse in a traffic queue on a slope as it takes an appreciable time to
disengage

hate those things very dangerous.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 18:31, mm0fmf wrote:
My current car has an electric motorised handbrake. It's called a
'parking brake' and thats ALL it is designed for, and its riddy
awkward to iuse in a traffic queue on a slope as it takes an
appreciable time to disengage

It's faulty then. Previous car's electric brake engaged in under 0.5 secs.

not on a purgot ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 18:29, mm0fmf wrote:
On 24/01/2020 10:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
If you find them dazzling, do you by any chance have a problem with
your eyes?

He has a problem in that he wears his wife's underwear.

shut it chebs ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 10:43, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 24 January 2020 09:15:19 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

spot on the worse ones are the indicator in the middle of the circular
parking light.....but loads of front indicators are away from the
headlights though..... also LEDs shouldn't be allowed on cars.....

Some appalling designs. There is a particular roundabout near home where the left indicator can be very difficult to see on vehicles coming round - hence difficult to be sure whether they are indicating to leave the roundabout or carrying on round.

Sunshine on reflective bits inside light clusters can play havoc with visibility.

On my car, the DRL switches off and the indicator alone lights - which makes it exceedingly obvious. And, although bright, they seem not to be dazzling. (I report my impression of the same.simlar model being driven by others. Obviously my own perception of my own car when driving it is not significant.)

seen that on all those PFI audi's I think or fiddle wagons...good idea
but badly executed.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 18:27, mm0fmf wrote:
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

Are there no new or recently new cars where you drive? Modern cars with
LED lights do all kinds of tricks now so you can see better what the car
is doing.

Including but not limited to:
dimming/disabling DRL when indicators active
dimming/disabling headlamp when indicators active
animated indicators to attract attention
dimming/disabling rear light cluster when indicating.

while they are working which they don't for long in the hostile car
environment....one trick they can't do is demist the light unit with
heat ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 18:46, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/2020 12:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Should have posted for Mr Cheerful in uk.rec.cars.maintenance really.

stuff that ...you get more headcases on here...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 19:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/01/2020 11:18, NY wrote:
[...]

plus in 10 years or much less where are you going to get a replacement
purpose made one of design led light unit for your latest super whizzz
digital crap LED mobile ?....plus you have a few COB led arrays ...how
many are going to die quite soon?......load of pish old fashioned bulbs
in light units for me...stuff it all...I stupidly bought one last week
and one of the four sides with two leds died within a week.....you waste
your money to "keep up to date"..I'm not.....very long life span my
arse.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 09:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/01/2020 09:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Â*Â*And they allow indicators which are very close
to (and therefore masked by) headlights or brake lights. Some VW
Golfs are guilty of the rear indicator which is almost invisible when
the driver brakes. Almost every car made in the last 30 years has its
front indicators in the same housing as the headlights and so very
hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

spot on the worse ones are the indicator in the middle of the circular
parking light.....but loads of front indicators are away from the
headlights though..... also LEDs shouldn't be allowed on cars.....

Â*DRLs should also be banned...stupid dazzling things....

plus in 10 years or much less where are you going to get a replacement
purpose made one of design led light unit for your latest super whizzz
digital crap LED mobile ?....plus you have a few COB led arrays ...how
many are going to die quite soon?......load of pish old fashioned bulbs
in light units for me...stuff it all...I stupidly bought one last week
and one of the four sides with two leds died within a week.....you waste
your money to "keep up to date"..I'm not.....very long life span my
arse.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 20:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/01/2020 18:46, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/2020 12:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Should have posted for Mr Cheerful in uk.rec.cars.maintenance really.

stuff that ...you get more headcases on here...tee hee

headcases like FMF amuse me...couldn't live without them.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 06:06:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s the latest Peugeot presumably. Another good reason to avoid french
cars imo.

Nobody avoids any cars like they keep avoiding YOU, filthy Arsetralian
troll! It's the VERY reason why you need to troll on Usenet!

Mad

A clinically insane mad troll like you should never use that word!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 19:52, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 18:29, mm0fmf wrote:
On 24/01/2020 10:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
If you find them dazzling, do you by any chance have a problem with
your eyes?

He has a problem in that he wears his wife's underwear.

Does he need to use a belt to hold her knickers up when he is wearing them?

Who knows. He's a dirty old goat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

Are there no new or recently new cars where you drive? Modern cars with
LED lights do all kinds of tricks now so you can see better what the car
is doing.

Including but not limited to:
dimming/disabling DRL when indicators active
dimming/disabling headlamp when indicators active

Thats mad with our rural intersections with no lights
there at all with most of them and a legal requirement
to always indicate at every turn at every intersection.

animated indicators to attract attention
dimming/disabling rear light cluster when indicating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 20:52, mm0fmf wrote:
On 24/01/2020 19:52, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 18:29, mm0fmf wrote:
On 24/01/2020 10:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
If you find them dazzling, do you by any chance have a problem with
your eyes?

He has a problem in that he wears his wife's underwear.

Does he need to use a belt to hold her knickers up when he is wearing
them?

Who knows. He's a dirty old goat.

Keep your sexual and scat fantasies to yourself chebs....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 18:31, mm0fmf wrote:
My current car has an electric motorised handbrake. It's called a
'parking brake' and thats ALL it is designed for, and its riddy awkward
to iuse in a traffic queue on a slope as it takes an appreciable time to
disengage

It's faulty then. Previous car's electric brake engaged in under 0.5
secs.

0.5 seconds is an appreciable time

But not enough to matter when moving off after stopping at a traffic queue.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

Are there no new or recently new cars where you drive? Modern cars with
LED lights do all kinds of tricks now so you can see better what the car
is doing.

Including but not limited to:
dimming/disabling DRL when indicators active
dimming/disabling headlamp when indicators active
animated indicators to attract attention
dimming/disabling rear light cluster when indicating.

costing you a fortune for useless functions that can be carried out
properly by a normal bulb.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 19:04, mm0fmf wrote:
On 23/01/2020 15:26, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 12:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Yes.

They should only be used on certain types of road (plus other
conditions), not for example in towns etc. Therefore you don't need
them when the engine is off!

Is there actually any prohibition from using them on certain types
of road. I though the only rule was the obvious one of "turn off
rear fog lights when the following car is so close that it will be
dazzled by them"?

Oh dear....

Rather than tutting, perhaps you'd like to point me to the exact
regulations. OK, so I omitted to say "only use them when it's foggy",
because I thought that was blindingly obvious, though many people seem
to use them even when it's completely clear (not even light mist).

Is there something in the highway code about classes of road or its
speed limit which regulates when they may or may not be used, despite
thick fog, subject always to the "don't dazzle" rule.

Rule 226 of the Highway Code says don't dazzle when using fog lights.
It's safe to assume you are more likely to dazzle when using fog lights
in town and thus in close proximity to other cars than when on rural
roads and from their think fog lights are not to be used in such
conditions.

I do not see why it is "safe to assume" any such thing. I have driven
in various parts of London (including within Westminster and the City)
when there was fog dense enough to justify the use of rear fog lights.

In addition there is no "don't dazzle" rule as such. Rule 226 simply
states:

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally
when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also
use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when
visibility improves (see Rule 236)."

Rule 236 is probably what you have in mind:

"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is
seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can
obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility
improves."

But note that doesn't /forbid/ dazzling other road users. It admits the
possibility that you will dazzle someone a metre behind you for the sake
of them seeing you in time to stop a metre behind you.

The point is also explicit in the underling statute where regulation 27
forbids use of a rear fog lamp:

"Used so as to cause *undue* dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a
following vehicle." [emphasis added]

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.

Are there no new or recently new cars where you drive? Modern cars with
LED lights do all kinds of tricks now so you can see better what the car
is doing.

Including but not limited to:
dimming/disabling DRL when indicators active
dimming/disabling headlamp when indicators active
animated indicators to attract attention
dimming/disabling rear light cluster when indicating.

costing you a fortune

Like hell it does for that extra smart stuff.

for useless functions that can be carried out properly by a normal
bulb.....

At a higher cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 15:26, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

I do not see why it is "safe to assume" any such thing.Â* I have driven
in various parts of London (including within Westminster and the City)
when there was fog dense enough to justify the use of rear fog lights.

In addition there is no "don't dazzle" rule as such.Â* Rule 226 simply
states:

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally
when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also
use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when
visibility improves (see Rule 236)."

Rule 236 is probably what you have in mind:

"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is
seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can
obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility
improves."

But note that doesn't /forbid/ dazzling other road users.Â* It admits the
possibility that you will dazzle someone a metre behind you for the sake
of them seeing you in time to stop a metre behind you.

The point is also explicit in the underling statute where regulation 27
forbids use of a rear fog lamp:

"Used so as to cause *undue* dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a
following vehicle." [emphasis added]

Yes, 236. I was dazzled by some **** with his fog lights on when typing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:24:07 +1100, , better known as cantankerous

That¢s mad

What could be madder than your insane abnormal posting hours, you
85-year-old trolling senile cretin!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:03 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 09:03:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the senile Ozzie troll's latest troll****

09:03??? LMAO! And you've been up and trolling for FIVE HOURS, almost ALL
NIGHT LONG, yet AGAIN! You must be the dumbest piece of senile **** that
ever infested Usenet!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 15:26, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

your chebs are enough to dazzle anybody chebs ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.
Are there no new or recently new cars where you drive? Modern cars
with LED lights do all kinds of tricks now so you can see better what
the car is doing.

Including but not limited to:
dimming/disabling DRL when indicators active
dimming/disabling headlamp when indicators active
animated indicators to attract attention
dimming/disabling rear light cluster when indicating.

costing you a fortune

Like hell it does for that extra smart stuff.

for useless functions that can be carried out properly by a normal
bulb.....

At a higher cost.

to you when it all breaks down or the manufacturer ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 08:42, NY wrote:
and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming car.
Are there no new or recently new cars where you drive? Modern cars with
LED lights do all kinds of tricks now so you can see better what the
car is doing.

Including but not limited to:
dimming/disabling DRL when indicators active
dimming/disabling headlamp when indicators active
animated indicators to attract attention
dimming/disabling rear light cluster when indicating.

costing you a fortune

Like hell it does for that extra smart stuff.

for useless functions that can be carried out properly by a normal
bulb.....

At a higher cost.

to you when it all breaks down

It doesnt. My ECU has been fine for 14 years and there
is no reason why wont do fine for another 16 or 26.

or the manufacturer ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 19:15:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

to you when it all breaks down

It doesn¢t. My ECU has been fine for 14 years and there
is no reason why wont do fine for another 16 or 26.

Of COURSE, you auto-contradicting clinically insane asshole! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2020 19:02, ARW wrote:
On 24/01/2020 07:45, Robin wrote:
On 24/01/2020 00:06, Brian Reay wrote:
NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps you should stop digging.

Did my similar question* yesterday not reach you or do you argue that

it's similarly not deserving of a substantive reply?

*"Why not in towns?Â* I can't see anything in the Regulations or HC
that distinguishes them from any other location."

How would you know it was a town and not a large village?

Villages have idiots
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear fog
lamp?

Presumably so it isnt easily confused with a car coming towards you.

rear fogs are red you dumb **** !

Not if you are Red/Green colour blind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Trouble is, the other car I drive regularly is also automatic but has a
manual handbrake and I do have to think about it when I switch over.

My auto is a PDK (twin clutch) which uses a friction clutch rather than
torque convertor. It is set to creep - to replicate a TC auto. If you use
the handbrake, the creep function is still engaged. So when stopping at
traffic lights etc I put it in park. No need for either foot or handbrake
then. To avoid unnecessary wear on the clutch.

I did just once just use the handbrake and leave it in drive. Until
getting stuck in a massive traffic jam last summer. On moving off, got
quite bad clutch judder. So guessed it had overheated. Given the cost of a
replacement transmission, moving the gearlever seems a small price to pay.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The use of the handbrake is mandatory in a clutched car. Your left foot
has to be on the clutch and the right on the accelerator.

Thought you'd been driving for some time - but never heard of 'heel and
toe' ? Operating both brake and accelerator simultaneously with the right
foot?

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have been very happy to see them on all manner of vehicles in
situations where sight of the vehicle might othrwise have been
impaired. Do remember that they can make a big difference when going
from bright sun to stygian blackness of a bridge. And, when cycling, I
have found it much more difficult to see and maintain awareness of
vehicles behind me when they are grey (current top colour), and the
weather is grey, and the road is grey... DRLs help a lot.

better than 20 20 vision here.....

That only refers to acuity under decent light conditions. It says nothing
about how dazzle etc effects.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is
no fog?

I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the
last 20 years.

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Villages have idiots

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is
no fog?

I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the
last 20 years.

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

Very rarely. But no different from those who put headlights on as soon as
they see a cloud.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

*"Why not in towns? I can't see anything in the Regulations or HC
that distinguishes them from any other location."

How would you know it was a town and not a large village?

Villages have idiots

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is
no fog?

I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the
last 20 years.

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

--

Adam

They don't make fog like they used to. I've done about 30,000 miles a
year from 1980 to 2010 and I really only recollect a couple of occasions
when rear foglights weren't a positive nuisance. OTOH I remember 2
weeks of freezing fog in Leeds in the 1960s when you couldn't see a lamp
post at arm's length.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have been very happy to see them on all manner of vehicles in
situations where sight of the vehicle might othrwise have been
impaired. Do remember that they can make a big difference when going
from bright sun to stygian blackness of a bridge. And, when cycling, I
have found it much more difficult to see and maintain awareness of
vehicles behind me when they are grey (current top colour), and the
weather is grey, and the road is grey... DRLs help a lot.

better than 20 20 vision here.....

That only refers to acuity under decent light conditions. It says nothing
about how dazzle etc effects.

I know....sounds good though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Villages have idiots

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is
no fog?

I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the
last 20 years.

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

Very rarely. But no different from those who put headlights on as soon as
they see a cloud.

And those that put the fog lights on when there is a bit of mist.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 14:55, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog
lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

--

Adam

They don't make fog like they used to. I've done about 30,000 miles a
year from 1980 to 2010 and I really only recollect a couple of occasions
when rear foglights weren't a positive nuisance. OTOH I remember 2
weeks of freezing fog in Leeds in the 1960s when you couldn't see a lamp
post at arm's length.

I'm surprised you did not in those 30 years meet falling snow which
reduced visibility well below 100m. I did just while commuting 16 miles
a day in London!

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 23/01/2020 21:58, Jimk wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear fog
lamp?

Presumably so it isnt easily confused with a car coming towards you.

rear fogs are red you dumb **** !

Not if you are Red/Green colour blind.

Er no they are still red.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Trouble is, the other car I drive regularly is also automatic but has a
manual handbrake and I do have to think about it when I switch over.

My auto is a PDK (twin clutch) which uses a friction clutch rather than
torque convertor. It is set to creep - to replicate a TC auto. If you use
the handbrake, the creep function is still engaged. So when stopping at
traffic lights etc I put it in park. No need for either foot or handbrake
then. To avoid unnecessary wear on the clutch.

I did just once just use the handbrake and leave it in drive. Until
getting stuck in a massive traffic jam last summer. On moving off, got
quite bad clutch judder. So guessed it had overheated. Given the cost of a
replacement transmission, moving the gearlever seems a small price to pay.

Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. **** that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The use of the handbrake is mandatory in a clutched car. Your left foot
has to be on the clutch and the right on the accelerator.

Thought you'd been driving for some time - but never heard of 'heel and
toe' ? Operating both brake and accelerator simultaneously with the right
foot?

Don’t even need to do that unless it’s a decent slope up hill.

Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 christmaslightinginstall.blogs… — Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 We sale christmas lights and install them for you, house lights, holiday lights, trees lights, christmas lights Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 24th 08 08:02 PM
Lights Lights Christmas Lights Installation Los Angeles, BeverlyHills, Santa Monica, Culver City, Marina Del Rey, Calabasas, Agoura HillsThousand Oaks Holiday Lights Installation 1-310-925-1720 Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 15th 08 03:25 AM
Survey: main beam AND fog lights in your area ? Father Kylesmas UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 07:58 PM
Lights in fog Alan Holmes UK diy 1 November 29th 05 12:47 AM
Lights in fog Alan Holmes UK diy 0 November 26th 05 03:41 PM