Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another Dyson question...

HI Folks

I've ended up with the ex-house Dyson DC44 for workshop use.
We gave up trying to fix the darn thing, and bought a new one for 'posh'
indoors use...

It's a bit like Trigger's broom - and has, so far, had a new battery and
a new body. The only thing that's original is the mains adapter/charger..

Symptoms - the thing simply doesn't charge...

Plug it into the cradle, leave is as long as you like.
Remove it from the cradle, pull trigger, it runs for maybe half a second
and then stops..

Battery charger has volts on the plug - 20-ish from memory..
but I don't know if it's capable of putting charge into the battery...?

I've a replacement charger on order from eBay - but does anybody know
exactly what's inside the battery charger. Is it dumb or smart?

Wouldn't want to plug a.n.other source of volts into the Dyson and fry
the battery...

So- anybody been inside one of the Dyson chargers and can report back on
the innards? It seems to be one of those things that's not 'unscrewable'
- and I'm on strict instructions from the lady of the house not to try
swapping bits between the new 'working' Dyson and the old 'dodgy' Dyson,
for fear of screwing them both up!

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2019 16:47, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

They don't call 'em Die-Soons for nuffin.

--
€œwhen things get difficult you just have to lie€

€• Jean Claud Jüncker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Assuming a suitable level of compatibility you could try charging the
old machine on the new machine's charger. Or would that be deemed to be
"swapping bits"?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 December 2019 16:47:08 UTC, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't recommend swapping bits with her either. Just get a sensible vac, ie not battery.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2019 21:04, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Probably....... though the thought had crossed my mind!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2019 22:33, wrote:
[...]

Actually - she's very happy with the Dysons that we've had....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh groan!
This sounds a bit like the last question we had here, but without the
apparent battery recovery after a very short time on charge.
I guess this could be the battery connections being a bit restive or the
charger. What is needed is the specs and a source of the righted current
for the cleaner. Once it can be proven that the motor is working and not
causing a short, then one should I think strongly suspect the battery.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh groan!
This sounds a bit like the last question we had here, but without the
apparent battery recovery after a very short time on charge.
I guess this could be the battery connections being a bit restive or the
charger. What is needed is the specs and a source of the righted current
for the cleaner. Once it can be proven that the motor is working and not
causing a short, then one should I think strongly suspect the battery.
Brian

HI Brian..

Well - that's the funny part of it.

Of the original 'dodgy' Dyson, the only original parts now remaining are
the charger itself. It's got a new body (which includes the motor) and a
new battery - which is why I'm looking at the charger as being the
source of the problem..

It's got an inviting-looking 'barrel'-type plug on it - but, before I
try feeding the Dyson with a non-original source of volts and amps, I
was wondering if anybody knew what's inside the charger /wall-wart.
It has a LED that indicated when the Dyson is charged, so it's not a
simple as just a mains-to-dc PSU..

I'll probably wait until the replacement charger arrives in the new
year, and see what effect that has...
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 09:09, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Oh groan!
Â* This sounds a bit like the last question we had here, but without the
apparent battery recovery after a very short time on charge.
Â* I guess this could be the battery connections being a bit restive or
the
charger. What is needed is the specs andÂ* a source of the righted current
for the cleaner. Once it can be proven that the motor is working and not
causing a short, then one should I think strongly suspect the battery.
Â* Brian

HI Brian..

Well - that's the funny part of it.

Of the original 'dodgy' Dyson, the only original parts now remaining are
the charger itself. It's got a new body (which includes the motor) and a
new battery - which is why I'm looking at the charger as being the
source of the problem..

It's got an inviting-looking 'barrel'-type plug on it - but, before I
try feeding the Dyson with a non-original source of volts and amps, I
was wondering if anybody knew what's inside the charger /wall-wart.
It has a LED that indicated when the Dyson is charged, so it's not a
simple as just a mains-to-dc PSU..

I'll probably wait until the replacement charger arrives in the new
year, and see what effect that has...
Thanks

Cheap lithium chargers work similarly to lead acid. Charge at a limited
current till a certain voltage is recahed. About 4.2v per cell.

More sophisticated chargers monitor each cell to prevent imbalance
occurring. They may also feed constant high curremt in until charging is
complete. This is faster than trickle charging/

Sometimes the smarts are in the unit or the battery pack, not the charger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 16:47:45 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Plug it into the cradle, leave is as long as you like.
Remove it from the cradle, pull trigger, it runs for maybe half a second
and then stops..

Does the "charge" LED behave as it should? ie steady on for a period
of time then go off? Or does it flash slowly or quickly?

It might be a duff cell in the battery, though more likely is a
"confused" battery management system. Think I'd open up the battery
and measure the terminal voltage of each cell and zap the lowest with
a PP3. Then place on charge and see if the charge LED behaviour has
changed.

Not sure how multi-cell Li batteries arrange the battery management.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's on a per cell basis rather than whole
battery as you can't "protect" a single cell by only monitoring the
whole battery.

The charge LED on the wall wart may just reflect the current drawn by
the connected unit. Above a given amount it's on, below off. The
battery management controls it by simply drawing more or less current
to indicate the state (charging (on), charged (off), fault (slow
flash), temperature (fast flash)).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 10:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Not sure how multi-cell Li batteries arrange the battery management.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's on a per cell basis rather than whole
battery as you can't "protect" a single cell by only monitoring the
whole battery.

Some and some.

I have a charger which when faced with a really flat battery would only
charge it (in the case of a 3 cell battery) to the correct terminal
voltage for a two cell.

A quick zap popped it above that, it was recognised as a three cell and
sanity returned. Other chargers are one wire per cell.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 10:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 16:47:45 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Plug it into the cradle, leave is as long as you like.
Remove it from the cradle, pull trigger, it runs for maybe half a second
and then stops..

Does the "charge" LED behave as it should? ie steady on for a period
of time then go off? Or does it flash slowly or quickly?

No activity at all on the LED.....

Question for Dyson fans: filters Another John UK diy 7 April 3rd 18 10:26 AM
Looking for source of spare parts for Dyson appliances (other than Dyson!) [email protected] UK diy 7 April 5th 06 02:43 AM
Dyson tool question Avanti UK diy 2 November 2nd 05 07:12 AM
Dyson DC07 overheating question PHG UK diy 3 December 15th 04 03:25 PM
Replace Dyson Plug Ade Smith UK diy 2 July 4th 03 05:23 PM