Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question for Dyson fans: filters

[This is addressed to fans of Dysons ... Dyson knockers: nothing for you
here!]

I've had a DC25 for 3.5 years now, and very happy with it (I had a DC01
for nearly 20 years, before that.)

I clean the filters as prescribed, BUT: the instruction for the motor
filter is that you

"Rinse and shake filters under tap. Turn over and tap very firmly to
remove motor emissions. Repeat 10x until water runs clear."

Well I have NEVER seen anything produced as a result of this rather
tedious procedure for the motor filter. (The other, dust-bin, filter
always takes some washing through.)

Any comments, folks?

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another John writes:
[This is addressed to fans of Dysons ... Dyson knockers: nothing for you
here!]

I've had a DC25 for 3.5 years now, and very happy with it (I had a DC01
for nearly 20 years, before that.)

I clean the filters as prescribed, BUT: the instruction for the motor
filter is that you

"Rinse and shake filters under tap. Turn over and tap very firmly to
remove motor emissions. Repeat 10x until water runs clear."

Well I have NEVER seen anything produced as a result of this rather
tedious procedure for the motor filter. (The other, dust-bin, filter
always takes some washing through.)

Any comments, folks?

I never normally see anything in the mains Dyson post-motor filters,
no muck normally gets that far. In the DC04 and DC07, it's not even
easily removed - I think it's not expected to be cleaned or changed
during the life of a motor.
The exception is where the pre-motor filter is missing (which normally
happens only with a cleaner which is never emptied or maintained,
and heavily abused).
For Dysons which have had enough use to significantly wear the motor
brushes, you can sometimes see slight traces of that in the post-
motor filter.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 12:15:35 +0100, Another John wrote:

[This is addressed to fans of Dysons ... Dyson knockers: nothing for you
here!]

I've had a DC25 for 3.5 years now, and very happy with it (I had a DC01
for nearly 20 years, before that.)

I clean the filters as prescribed, BUT: the instruction for the motor
filter is that you

"Rinse and shake filters under tap. Turn over and tap very firmly to
remove motor emissions. Repeat 10x until water runs clear."

Well I have NEVER seen anything produced as a result of this rather
tedious procedure for the motor filter. (The other, dust-bin, filter
always takes some washing through.)

Any comments, folks?

Cheers
John

I used a Dyson (can't remember model, but about 15 years ago) at a friend's
place. There were complaints about cleaning the filters so I took it
outside, removed the various filters, found out which places sucked and
whick blew, then put the filters, one at a time, on backwards where they'd
fit quite well and pressed the button.
Nice big clouds of dust and filters clean enough to restore suction.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela writes:
On 10:01 2 Apr 2018, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , pamela
wrote:

On 17:22 1 Apr 2018, PeterC wrote:
It takes several days to dry our little Dyson DC26 filters after
washing even on top of a radiator. You method sounds far more
practical.

Hmmm, odd. I usually do our DC35 filter every four to six months,
they only take a day to dry.

The Dyson DC26 instructions say it takes a day (in sunlight if the
illustration is to be relied on) but it takes much longer.

Perhaps the filter materials are different between models.

Depends heavily on how well you wring them out.

--
Andrew Gabriel