Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Default Seeking Opinions on air return filters and air vent filters

I see many of these being sold at Home Depot and other home
improvement centers and was wondering whether using these filters
would put too much stress or strain on the air circulation fan, the
furnace and the central A/C system at all? I'm talking about the
vents only inside the house and not the ones outside.

I'm thinking that these systems are designed with being able to
perform without any obstructions in the vents and while these filters
are supposed to let sufficient air through, if I place them in very
vent in my house, perhaps that might impose too much strain on the
circulation fan, the furnace and the central A/C?

Thoughts? Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 4, 4:22 pm, No Way wrote:
I see many of these being sold at Home Depot and other home
improvement centers and was wondering whether using these filters
would put too much stress or strain on the air circulation fan, the
furnace and the central A/C system at all? I'm talking about the
vents only inside the house and not the ones outside.

I'm thinking that these systems are designed with being able to
perform without any obstructions in the vents and while these filters
are supposed to let sufficient air through, if I place them in very
vent in my house, perhaps that might impose too much strain on the
circulation fan, the furnace and the central A/C?

Thoughts? Thanks for your time and courtesy.

You can't suspend the laws of physics. Every impediment to the the air
flow slows it down and imbalances the system. Your AC or heat may be
fine with a slower air flow, but you will also come up aganst the law
of diminishing returns as regards efficiency, longevity and operating
cost. If there is no obvious need for change, let it ride. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"No Way" wrote in message
I see many of these being sold at Home Depot and other home
improvement centers and was wondering whether using these filters
would put too much stress or strain on the air circulation fan, the
furnace and the central A/C system at all? I'm talking about the
vents only inside the house and not the ones outside.

I'm thinking that these systems are designed with being able to
perform without any obstructions in the vents and while these filters
are supposed to let sufficient air through, if I place them in very
vent in my house, perhaps that might impose too much strain on the
circulation fan, the furnace and the central A/C?

Thoughts? Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Given the velocity of the return compared to the feed, I doubt you'd catch
much at all. If the regular filters are doing their job, return filters are
not needed. An filter will offer some restriction. I'd not do it.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Just put a filtrete filter in your return.

Fastest way to kill a system!!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

As long as you replace/clean them monthly,they shouldn't add too much static
to the system...
If you have a decent pleated filter in the return, they're probably a waste
of money.
Go out & buy a case of decent filters & swap in a new one every time the
utility bill shows up.
Filtrete has the brand name & the price too.
I pick up a case of near identical Z-pleats at the wholesale house & the
cost under 3 Bucks per...
I had a guy tell me to spray the filter with Pledge furniture polish for
better filtration, but I'm not sold on that idea.

goodluck
geothermaljones
st.paul,mn.

"No Way" wrote in message
I see many of these being sold at Home Depot and other home
improvement centers and was wondering whether using these filters
would put too much stress or strain on the air circulation fan, the
furnace and the central A/C system at all? I'm talking about the
vents only inside the house and not the ones outside.

I'm thinking that these systems are designed with being able to
perform without any obstructions in the vents and while these filters
are supposed to let sufficient air through, if I place them in very
vent in my house, perhaps that might impose too much strain on the
circulation fan, the furnace and the central A/C?

Thoughts? Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"geothermaljones" wrote in message
. ..
As long as you replace/clean them monthly,they shouldn't add too much

static
to the system...
If you have a decent pleated filter in the return, they're probably a

waste
of money.
Go out & buy a case of decent filters & swap in a new one every time the
utility bill shows up.
Filtrete has the brand name & the price too.

Problem is, most return ducting won't allow a customer to drop in a pleated
filter and still have the required CFM's for the system to operate
efficiently and without shortening the life of the equipment.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Problem is, most return ducting won't allow a customer to drop in a pleated
filter and still have the required CFM's for the system to operate
efficiently and without shortening the life of the equipment.

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem here. Most
filters are in the return air plenum. Most modern
systems are designed for pleated filters. So why would
there be a problem with putting pleated filters in the
return?

With my old system I kept on using the old fashioned
(and cheap) fiberglass filters, but it was designed for
them and I didn't want to take a chance on messing up
the system.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I have 3 systems in my house. All have best Filtrete filter. All are nine
years old without any repairs. My parents townhome is 4 years old system.
Use filtrete filters..... no problems either.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Just put a filtrete filter in your return.

Fastest way to kill a system!!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
I have 3 systems in my house. All have best Filtrete filter. All are nine
years old without any repairs. My parents townhome is 4 years old system.
Use filtrete filters..... no problems either.

KJ forgot to add the caveat of the systems RA and filter area being sized
correctly for the higher airflow restriction of the Filtrete
"Ultra-Allergen" filters.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Problem is, most return ducting won't allow a customer to drop in a
pleated
filter and still have the required CFM's for the system to operate
efficiently and without shortening the life of the equipment.

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem here. Most filters are in the
return air plenum. Most modern systems are designed for pleated filters.
So why would there be a problem with putting pleated filters in the
return?

The problem is the "lowest bidder" and not having the ductwork re-designed
for the new high-efficienty systems and the higher effency(more restriction
in the air flow) filters.

With my old system I kept on using the old fashioned (and cheap)
fiberglass filters, but it was designed for them and I didn't want to take
a chance on messing up the system.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

I had a guy tell me to spray the filter with Pledge furniture polish for
better filtration, but I'm not sold on that idea.

Almost like putting 'oil' on the filter to give the dirt something to stick
too. Interesting idea.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Currently;

If you read the equipment engineering data, you'll be surprised to find the
maximum ESP you can have in a HVAC system [including the cooling coil] is
1/2" [0.5"] w.c. Not much left over if you use a pleated filter. Check
the spec.'s. A standard [dirty] 1" filter is 0.3". The cooling coil [wet]
is 0.25"w.c. to 0.29"w.c. Sometimes to get the correct air with a pleated
filter usually requires stepping up the air handler size one size larger [if
possible.]

--
Zyp
"Noon-Air" wrote in message

"BillGill" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:11:55 -0700, "Zephyr" wrote:

I had a guy tell me to spray the filter with Pledge furniture polish for
better filtration, but I'm not sold on that idea.

Almost like putting 'oil' on the filter to give the dirt something to stick
too. Interesting idea.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, for high performance automotive air
intake filters, they usually have an accompanying grease or oil you
apply to the filter as well. Guess the same concept applies in this
case.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" wrote in message
news:bfudnWriUfx50PrbnZ2dnUVZ_rCsnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
Currently;

If you read the equipment engineering data, you'll be surprised to find
the
maximum ESP you can have in a HVAC system [including the cooling coil] is
1/2" [0.5"] w.c. Not much left over if you use a pleated filter. Check
the spec.'s. A standard [dirty] 1" filter is 0.3". The cooling coil
[wet]
is 0.25"w.c. to 0.29"w.c. Sometimes to get the correct air with a
pleated
filter usually requires stepping up the air handler size one size larger
[if
possible.]

Just use the correct size of return and filter. Check the IMC... The code
book requirements specifications come out to just a little less than 1
square foot per 12,000btu for A/C (works for heat pumps too). I use 1 sqft
per ton as a minimum.
FWIW, I will go for a lot better IAQ with the pleated filters and never have
to clean the evap or blower, instead of using the cheap blue fiberglass
filters that don't catch anything but large rocks and small critters.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 11:02 pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
FWIW, I will go for a lot better IAQ with the pleated filters and never have
to clean the evap or blower, instead of using the cheap blue fiberglass
filters that don't catch anything but large rocks and small critters.

They don't always even do that. We had a mouse make its way through
the return, chew a hole in the cheap blue fiberglass (or maybe pull
it aside), and crawl through.

He ended up in the blower and was stretched around the
squirrel cage when my husband found him. He's got the pictures,
but they are too intense for some viewers.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Nooney;

Have you ever hood tested the return on your systems using the 1 square foot
per ton theory?

--
Zyp

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 6, 11:02 pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
FWIW, I will go for a lot better IAQ with the pleated filters and never

have
to clean the evap or blower, instead of using the cheap blue fiberglass
filters that don't catch anything but large rocks and small critters.

They don't always even do that. We had a mouse make its way through
the return, chew a hole in the cheap blue fiberglass (or maybe pull
it aside), and crawl through.

He ended up in the blower and was stretched around the
squirrel cage when my husband found him. He's got the pictures,
but they are too intense for some viewers.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" wrote in message
news:XeidnaEuAqYMzPXbnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
Nooney;

Have you ever hood tested the return on your systems using the 1 square
foot
per ton theory?

Nope, but after I read the code books, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express
last night

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

The one time I pulled a cat out of the furnace, the blue filter
didn't stop a cat. Five months old, I think it was. Got in
through a hole in the return air. I remember the look on the
cat's face when I shined my mini mag in on it. "Well, do
something!"

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: They don't always even do that. We had a mouse make its way
through
: the return, chew a hole in the cheap blue fiberglass (or maybe
pull
: it aside), and crawl through.
:
: He ended up in the blower and was stretched around the
: squirrel cage when my husband found him. He's got the
pictures,
: but they are too intense for some viewers.
:
: Cindy Hamilton
:

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

That's better than the skunk I ran into on time under a house. The fresh
air intake [well that's what it's called until the skunk] I shined my light
and saw her - [I couldn't get out of the basement quick enough!

--
Zyp

.