Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters.

I've been using an extra air filter in my central Heating/AC system.
Just inside the air return I mounted a 3 piece filter.
Piece: Desc Air Flows from 3 to 1
1: Hard plastic Mesh with 1" squares.
2: Thin Black Activated Charcoal filter.
3: Green fiberglass filter.

I don't know how you tell a filter is working or not. However after a
few months, I can see a large amount of "gunk" on the filter.

I was thinking of buying a IONIC BREEZE type filter. I found a small
one at Wal- Mart. It plugs in like a night light and has a night
light on it. After a few weeks of running this I get very little
"Gunk" on the metal bars. I don't know if this is an indication of
how a larger unit would work but this seems pretty worthless.

I've heard of "electrostatic" type filters that you put in your
returning air space. It doesn't plug in. The moving air is suppose
to generate a static field.
I also remember being at a friends home when I was younger and they
had an air filter (just inside the air return) that would !POP! like a
bug zapper.

In addition to the 3 Piece Filter I have in the air return, I also use
a pleated type filter in the , uh....normal place you would put a
filter in your Heating/AC unit.. This may be over kill, but I doubt
it.

Oh yeah, I also have 2 Wal-Mart upright HEPA air filters. Holmes
brand. They have a switch to make ions to help clean the air. I
don't know how well it works, but when I change the filters and clean
the unit, I get out a lot of dust. Of course, I get the same when I
blow out my computer with an air hose. Also, on both of the Holmes
units, the lights that tell you when the "IONIC" function is on, and
the lights telling you to change the filter are all non-working. They
all quit working early in the units life.

So far, the "3 piece system" I am using seems to be the best.
However, I would like to hear comments from the very knowledgeable
people in this group. Any advice, suggestions comments?

Thanks Everyone
RON in
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you have a tad bit of overkill...

I have a washable filter in my HVAC system. Simply take the hose to it
once a month. I do find that the soluable oil spray for filters helps a
lot.

When they have dirt you can see, they are too dirty.

I had an electrostatic filter system in a house once. More trouble than
it was worth, as the grid was heavy and awkward to put in the laundry
tub to clean it out.

Frequent (monthly) changing of filters is sufficient. If you don't want
washable ones, just buy the disposable ones in quantity for a better
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

A couple of comments:

1. You may be putting too much restriction on the air flow with what you
are doing. That can reduce the efficiency of the system and even damage it.

2. Those electronic type filters are a totally different type of animal.
They are good at trapping very small particles that conventional filters are
bad at. The ones designed to work with a HVAC system have a conventional
filter in the stream before the electronic system. The stand alone ones
(like the small one you tested) have two drawbacks; they move very little
air so they are very slow at doing any cleaning and they create ozone.

I love the commercials that tell you about "OzoneGard." which is O³, to
oxygen which while normally is O² can also exist as O³. Ozone is a form of
oxygen. The commercials are full of exaggerations and lies.

Now as to the question. What do you hope to accomplish with the
filters? Please don't say clean air. Please be more specific.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sounds like over kill. It may impede proper air flow. I have an EAC on
return air duct(it has one washable metal mesh filter). That's all.
Inside my house is clean. I wash filter and EAC cells 3 times a year.
Spring , summer, fall.