PHG

Default Dyson DC07 overheating question

Apologies for yet another Dyson query. The most relevant previous postings
appear to have been pruned from the server.

I thought I had fixed this by cleaning the pre-motor filter, but the cut-out
has started again after 10 mins use. Certainly the area around the motor and
base of the bin is very warm after 10 minutes use. Curiously the brush-bar
still rotates at speed. I am not convinced the suction is as good as it was
when new.

1. Is there a Dyson self-help website that may be able to help me here ? Of
course I could take this to a repair shop but I'd prefer to investigate
myself first.
2. Is there a maintenence/repair doc available for DC07 models ?

Any thoughts on possible culprits here would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

Dave

Hi Paul
I thought I had fixed this by cleaning the pre-motor filter, but the

cut-out
has started again after 10 mins use.

Don't know the Dyson inside out, but been in industrial vacuums for 25
years!

I would guess that your Dyson has a directly cooled motor, that is the
air being moved to provide the suction also provides the cooling for
the motor. Any blockage or restriction downstream of the motor will
cause overheating.

Any blockage or restriction upstream will affect the downstream and do
the same, so look very carefully at filters, bends, hose joiners etc
both in and out. Also check the fan blade it'self. If it's cracked or
damaged it won't be moving enough air to cool the motor.

Certainly the area around the motor and
base of the bin is very warm after 10 minutes use. Curiously the

brush-bar
still rotates at speed. I am not convinced the suction is as good as

it was
when new.

Again guessing, is the brush bar driven by the same motor as the fan?
If so, the motor is having to work harder, sounds like a damaged fan
blade.
Overloads are a warning. They weaken every time they trip.

Dave

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"PHG" writes:
Apologies for yet another Dyson query. The most relevant previous postings
appear to have been pruned from the server.

I thought I had fixed this by cleaning the pre-motor filter, but the cut-out
has started again after 10 mins use. Certainly the area around the motor and
base of the bin is very warm after 10 minutes use. Curiously the brush-bar
still rotates at speed. I am not convinced the suction is as good as it was
when new.

It sounds like there's a blockage in the airway somewhere.
Have you checked inside all the removable bits of pipework?

--
Andrew Gabriel
PHG

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"PHG" writes:
Apologies for yet another Dyson query. The most relevant previous

postings
appear to have been pruned from the server.

I thought I had fixed this by cleaning the pre-motor filter, but the

cut-out
has started again after 10 mins use. Certainly the area around the motor

and
base of the bin is very warm after 10 minutes use. Curiously the

brush-bar
still rotates at speed. I am not convinced the suction is as good as it

was
when new.

It sounds like there's a blockage in the airway somewhere.
Have you checked inside all the removable bits of pipework?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for your suggestions. I've just removed the removable pipework but
there
doesn't appear to be a blockage. It appears that after just a couple of
minutes,
the area where the motor housing meets the bin gets hot and hot air is being
emitted, which is why it is cutting out.
Could there be dust inside the motor housing ? Does anyone have some
disassembly instructions ?

new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Replacement mortar question Paul Home Repair 8 December 2nd 03 01:18 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM