Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Musical films

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 09:11, Broadback wrote:
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

I suspect that all the soundtrack LPs will be available on Spotify. I've
never thought about playing LPs on a TV, but each to their own....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 11:21, newshound wrote:
On 23/12/2019 09:11, Broadback wrote:
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the
best place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port
them onto my TV?

I suspect that all the soundtrack LPs will be available on Spotify. I've
never thought about playing LPs on a TV, but each to their own....

I did not only want the sound, I was hoping to get the film, hence the
TV bit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 11:21, newshound wrote:
On 23/12/2019 09:11, Broadback wrote:
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the
best place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port
them onto my TV?

I suspect that all the soundtrack LPs will be available on Spotify. I've
never thought about playing LPs on a TV, but each to their own....

I did not want only he soundtrack I was hoping to get the complete film
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 09:11:15 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

Have you checked YouTube for any of the films on your list?
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 23/12/2019 11:21, newshound wrote:
On 23/12/2019 09:11, Broadback wrote:
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

I suspect that all the soundtrack LPs will be available on Spotify. I've
never thought about playing LPs on a TV, but each to their own....

I did not want only he soundtrack I was hoping to get the complete film

I think we were confused by "Musical films on LP". Obviously LPs can only
hold sound, not video, so we assumed you wanted modern-formats copies of the
LPs, (CD, or MP3 via online, HDD or pen drive) so you could play the sound
through your TV. Now you mention "complete film", it becomes clear: you want
the film (sound and pictures) for which you currently have sound-only on LP.
As a matter of interest, are the LPs made using the original soundtrack (and
therefore cast) or are they cover versions of the songs made by other
artists which was a common practice with musical soundtrack LPs.

Try Youtube or Netflix, or maybe a web vendor such as Network who may sell
it on DVD. The medium that you buy it on will depend on what player
equipment (DVD, MPEG-2/H264, Netflix etc) you already have.

Maybe I'm a Luddite but I always like to own a physical copy (LP or CD for
music, DVD for TV/film), even if I port that onto a computer for easier
playing on my PC (eg via iTunes or VLC) or TV (eg via Plex on our Roku box).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 12:20:59 +0000, NY wrote:

I think we were confused by "Musical films on LP". Obviously LPs can
only hold sound, not video, so we assumed you wanted modern-formats
copies of the LPs, (CD, or MP3 via online, HDD or pen drive) so you
could play the sound through your TV.

I thought that too. Then I thought of LP on VHS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

Have you checked YouTube for any of the films on your list?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound only. I
suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:00, John wrote:
?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound only. I
suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.

Probably means LaserDisc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:00, John wrote:
?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound only. I
suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.

As I said that shows my age, LPs contained the complete films. As
regards format I do not know, what is transferable to TV?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:07, Broadback wrote:
On 23/12/2019 14:00, John wrote:
?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound
only. I
suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.

As I said that shows my age, LPs contained the complete films. As
regards format I do not know, what is transferable to TV?

As others have said: the term "LP" refers to a flat disc with grooves
that's played on a "record player" (a Long Play(ing) record); the
technology was unable to carry video information for a film.
Perhaps you're getting confused with one of the tape technologies (VHS,
Betamax), or video disc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the
best place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port
them onto my TV?

I am advised by young friends that YIFY is always worth a look ...
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:00, John wrote:
?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound
only. I
suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.

As I said that shows my age, LPs contained the complete films. As regards
format I do not know, what is transferable to TV?

As others have said: the term "LP" refers to a flat disc with grooves
that's played on a "record player" (a Long Play(ing) record); the
technology was unable to carry video information for a film.
Perhaps you're getting confused with one of the tape technologies (VHS,
Betamax), or video disc?

I believe Baird experimented with recording his 30-line TV pictures onto the
grooves of a record, but apart from that, I don't think there have been any
mechanically-written/read video recording formats.

On VHS (and maybe Betamax) there was a tape speed that was designated LP
(long play) which ran the tape at half the full SP (standard play) speed and
so could record a whopping 10 hours on a 5-hour tape. The picture quality
was crap, and freeze-frames were monochrome. Ironically, the later EP
(extra-long play) which ran at 1/3 speed gave better quality pictures and
colour freeze-frames. I hadn't realised how crap VHS was until I came to
copy some tapes (mostly at SP, some at LP or EP) onto MPEG using an analogue
capture card: for some reason, all the capture devices I've tried have made
the timing jitter (wiggly vertical lines) far more obvious than they are
when displayed on an analogue TV. I wasn't rich enough to own a VHS that had
a timebase corrector :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

Could you describe what you mean by LP? Is it a disc or is it a VHS
tape? What did you play them on; a special player feeding your TV?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quite a lot have been donated to the Library of Congress in the states and
the UK ones probably the British Film Institute, but don't know how you
might find a decent transcription. Also what is considered sacrilege, ie
obviously colourisation will be, but what about cleaning up the sound track
or enhancing detail etc?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
On 23/12/2019 11:21, newshound wrote:
On 23/12/2019 09:11, Broadback wrote:
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

I suspect that all the soundtrack LPs will be available on Spotify. I've
never thought about playing LPs on a TV, but each to their own....

I did not only want the sound, I was hoping to get the film, hence the TV
bit!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:00, John wrote:
?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound
only. I suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.

As I said that shows my age, LPs contained the complete films. As
regards format I do not know, what is transferable to TV?

As others have said: the term "LP" refers to a flat disc with grooves
that's played on a "record player" (a Long Play(ing) record); the
technology was unable to carry video information for a film. Perhaps
you're getting confused with one of the tape technologies (VHS,
Betamax), or video disc?

I believe Baird experimented with recording his 30-line TV pictures onto
the grooves of a record, but apart from that, I don't think there have
been any mechanically-written/read video recording formats.

I've seen (in the 1960s) a tape recording of a Baird record.

On VHS (and maybe Betamax) there was a tape speed that was designated LP
(long play) which ran the tape at half the full SP (standard play) speed
and so could record a whopping 10 hours on a 5-hour tape. The picture
quality was crap, and freeze-frames were monochrome. Ironically, the
later EP (extra-long play) which ran at 1/3 speed gave better quality
pictures and colour freeze-frames. I hadn't realised how crap VHS was
until I came to copy some tapes (mostly at SP, some at LP or EP) onto
MPEG using an analogue capture card: for some reason, all the capture
devices I've tried have made the timing jitter (wiggly vertical lines)
far more obvious than they are when displayed on an analogue TV. I
wasn't rich enough to own a VHS that had a timebase corrector :-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

Could you describe what you mean by LP? Is it a disc or is it a VHS
tape? What did you play them on; a special player feeding your TV?

I apologise to all who replied. I had, more than a senior moment, more
like a senior day. What I'd like is recordings of the original sound
tracks, of course they were on LPs. What would be the best media for
modern TV's, as that is where I can get the best sound? Also how large
are the recordings in terms of disc space? As I asked originally, what
is the best source please. Thanks to anyone who bothered to answer this
after my stupidity!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I
would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best
place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them
onto my TV?

Could you describe what you mean by LP? Is it a disc or is it a VHS
tape? What did you play them on; a special player feeding your TV?

I apologise to all who replied. I had, more than a senior moment, more
like a senior day. What I'd like isÂ* recordings of the original sound
tracks, of course they were on LPs. What would be the best media for
modern TV's, as that is where I can get the best sound? Also how large
are the recordings in terms of disc space? As I asked originally, what
is the best source please. Thanks to anyone who bothered to answer this
after my stupidity!

MP3 is the most ubiquitous sound format.

But TVs accessing sound files is still rather crap, so get a copy of
audacity which can convert sound formats - and there are other ptrograms
as well.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I apologise to all who replied. I had, more than a senior moment, more
like a senior day.

No problem. I've started having those too!

What I'd like is recordings of the original sound tracks, of course they
were on LPs. What would be the best media for modern TV's, as that is
where I can get the best sound? Also how large are the recordings in terms
of disc space? As I asked originally, what is the best source please.
Thanks to anyone who bothered to answer this after my stupidity!

MP3 is the most ubiquitous sound format.

But TVs accessing sound files is still rather crap, so get a copy of
audacity which can convert sound formats - and there are other programs as
well.

And if you obtain a recording in a format that your TV does not understand
and want to convert it to MP3 which the TV does accept, save it at the
highest bitrate that Audacity offers. I'd go for about 200 kbit/sec as a
minimum. This is because MP3 is a "lossy" format, so the more you compress,
the more information you discard and therefore the greater the compression
artefacts.

File sizes (for a stereo recording) are about 620 MB/hour for uncompressed
WAV format (equivalent to what's on a CD) or roughly 110 MB/hour for 256
kb/sec MP3.

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films ARW UK diy 8 May 31st 14 06:26 PM
3M security window films stonej Home Repair 7 March 27th 06 11:08 PM
where can you buy electrochromic films? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 August 17th 05 02:36 AM
SOLYX glass films Kee Home Repair 2 March 20th 05 02:30 PM
Solar control window films Adrian UK diy 3 July 17th 03 10:08 AM