Posted to alt.home.repair
stonej

Default 3M security window films

I am considering getting these for my home. They are apparently
designed to hold the
glass in place and make it difficult for a burgler to get inside. Has
anyone had any
experience with this product and what did you think of it? Would you
recommend it and
what was the approx cost to install? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

stonej wrote:
I am considering getting these for my home. They are apparently
designed to hold the
glass in place and make it difficult for a burgler to get inside. Has
anyone had any
experience with this product and what did you think of it? Would you
recommend it and
what was the approx cost to install? Thanks.

It should offer some additional security, but don't expect perfection.
You may want to contact your local police department to see what they might
have to say.

I would worry that it may be a maintenance head ache. It is may scratch
under normal usage and in turn look bad for example.

Sorry I don't have any direct experience to offer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering getting these for my home. They are apparently
designed to hold the
glass in place and make it difficult for a burgler to get inside. Has
anyone had any
experience with this product and what did you think of it? Would you
recommend it and
what was the approx cost to install? Thanks.

We all had this product on all the windows and glass doors in our issued
apartments in Kuwait. It was courtesy of Uncle Sam but it wasn't for
burglars! As I understand it's not super expensive but must be installed by
a certified installer to be guaranteed to function correctly. It is so
clear you can't even tell it's there unless you go up and run your
fingernail over it if done right.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Jay" wrote in message
et...
"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering getting these for my home. They are apparently
designed to hold the
glass in place and make it difficult for a burgler to get inside. Has
anyone had any
experience with this product and what did you think of it? Would you
recommend it and
what was the approx cost to install? Thanks.

We all had this product on all the windows and glass doors in our issued
apartments in Kuwait. It was courtesy of Uncle Sam but it wasn't for
burglars! As I understand it's not super expensive but must be installed

by
a certified installer to be guaranteed to function correctly. It is so
clear you can't even tell it's there unless you go up and run your
fingernail over it if done right.

Uh, it won't do more than slow a burglar down. It is intended to stop
low-mass glass shards in an explosion, not knives or outright shrapnel from
a close-by explosion. They are putting it on the street-side windows of my
office building. I told them they need to put it on the backside too, since
the best bomb location is between the building wings in back, and the only
thing preventing a bomber driving his truck back there is the poor SOB
rent-a-cop in the flimsy shack at the gate that is a straight shot from the
sweet spot. (But seriously, our main danger here is from tornados, where an
overpressure situation or flying debris can easily take out windows several
stories up.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:19:36 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"Jay" wrote in message
news:iPadna1Q0scO6LnZnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@centurytel. net...
"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've seen the discovery channels "it takes a theif" show, and they
demonstrated the film stand up to baseball bats and crow bars. So I
was reminded by this thread about what I read, and saw demonstrations
if it's strength.

Information: http://www.urlbee.com?2376

hth,

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
stonej

That's exactly the point of any and all home security techniques. If a
burglar is
determined enough to break into YOUR house, he's going to be able to do
it no matter what
you do. Luckily, most burglars aren't picky, and they'll just choose
the house that's
the least amount of work. Putting things in place that will slow a
burglar down increase
the likelihood that the burglar will give up and move on to an easier
target.

That was my understanding as well. It is meant to slow down and
frustrate a would be
burgler. 3M recommends a burgler alarm be installed as well. If an
alarm is sounding
and the burgler is struggling to get through the glass it is likely
they won't stick around
long. 3M is sending me samples in the mail. If I decide to do this
it will be professionally
done.