Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT Musical films

wrote in message
On 23/12/2019 14:07, Broadback wrote:
On 23/12/2019 14:00, John wrote:
?

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and
sound.

99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound
only. I
suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.

As I said that shows my age, LPs contained the complete films. As regards
format I do not know, what is transferable to TV?

As others have said: the term "LP" refers to a flat disc with grooves
that's played on a "record player" (a Long Play(ing) record); the
technology was unable to carry video information for a film.
Perhaps you're getting confused with one of the tape technologies (VHS,
Betamax), or video disc?

I believe Baird experimented with recording his 30-line TV pictures onto the
grooves of a record, but apart from that, I don't think there have been any
mechanically-written/read video recording formats.

On VHS (and maybe Betamax) there was a tape speed that was designated LP
(long play) which ran the tape at half the full SP (standard play) speed and
so could record a whopping 10 hours on a 5-hour tape. The picture quality
was crap, and freeze-frames were monochrome. Ironically, the later EP
(extra-long play) which ran at 1/3 speed gave better quality pictures and
colour freeze-frames. I hadn't realised how crap VHS was until I came to
copy some tapes (mostly at SP, some at LP or EP) onto MPEG using an analogue
capture card: for some reason, all the capture devices I've tried have made
the timing jitter (wiggly vertical lines) far more obvious than they are
when displayed on an analogue TV. I wasn't rich enough to own a VHS that had
a timebase corrector :-)