Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT Musical films

I apologise to all who replied. I had, more than a senior moment, more
like a senior day.

No problem. I've started having those too!

What I'd like is recordings of the original sound tracks, of course they
were on LPs. What would be the best media for modern TV's, as that is
where I can get the best sound? Also how large are the recordings in terms
of disc space? As I asked originally, what is the best source please.
Thanks to anyone who bothered to answer this after my stupidity!

MP3 is the most ubiquitous sound format.

But TVs accessing sound files is still rather crap, so get a copy of
audacity which can convert sound formats - and there are other programs as
well.

And if you obtain a recording in a format that your TV does not understand
and want to convert it to MP3 which the TV does accept, save it at the
highest bitrate that Audacity offers. I'd go for about 200 kbit/sec as a
minimum. This is because MP3 is a "lossy" format, so the more you compress,
the more information you discard and therefore the greater the compression
artefacts.

File sizes (for a stereo recording) are about 620 MB/hour for uncompressed
WAV format (equivalent to what's on a CD) or roughly 110 MB/hour for 256
kb/sec MP3.