Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bailing out the car

On 23/12/2019 10:24, Brian Reay wrote:
On 22/12/2019 21:09, GB wrote:
On 22/12/2019 18:59, Chris Bartram wrote:

To the OP- get the foam/fibre sound deadening out and dry it
somewhere. otherwise your car starts to smell like pond water.

You are not the only one to say this, but I just can't see how to
remove the carpet. It's all nicely trimmed and glued on. I'll have a
go in the morning, but I don't have any real hope.

Many years ago, a couple of colleagues went on a business trip taking
one of their own cars. The car in question was an old Mini, owned by
someone who kept several cars, all in a state of disrepair so he carried
a comprehensive tool kit 'just in case'. On the journey, the heavens
opened and the passenger soon found his feet were in a puddle of water.

The owner pulled over, retrieved a screwdriver and hammer from the boot,
and made some holes in the floor, and continued the journey.

A few months later, the owner gave me a lift, the holes were still there.

The owner was quite senior andÂ* probably one of the best paid employees
in the department!

IME, Minis don't need any help to develop holes in the floor :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:11, The Other Mike wrote:
On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 14:28:28 +0000, newshound
wrote:

Had this problem in my CX days. (That has very thick moulded foam all
around the floors). Only solution, remove seats. Remove carpets. Remove
foam.

If only things were always still so simple!

After the front to back wiring loom the carpets might be the very next
thing fitted on the production line, often in one piece, and besides
the obvious things like the seats removing the carpet might also
entail the removal of much of the trim, centre console and mind
boggling the removal of the dash, which then might mean the degassing
of the aircon. A two minute install of a carpet on the production
line can easily translate to 30+ hours of work at a dealer and 650
euros for the carpet.

One could for instance back a car into a location on a very sunny day,
wind down a window to ease positioning of the car close to a wall and
then accidentally leave that a window open for a day or two, with
torrential rains overnight and then have a saturated seat and an inch
or two of water in the footwell and then think it's an easy job to
remove the carpets and then find the above situation. DAMHIKT

The running of a dehumidifier for a few weeks was the easiest option
and while that dried things out there was an enduring stench of what
resembled a cross between rotten milk and bubble gum coming from the
carpets and seats. It's hopefully now fixed after lots of repeat
applications of carpet cleaner and upholstery cleaner.

Believe me, while the odour of once damp carpet is bad enough, the odour
of carpet that has been subjected to milk is in whole different league!

When our middle son was just old enough to hold a bottle and drink from
it himself, he left a half-full bottle, teat down, in the hole in the
seat that the centre rear seatbelt emerges from.

A few weeks later a part-full 6-pint bottle of milk was accidentally
left in the boot for some time. While shopping, we returned to the car
and heard a hissing in the boot. Before I could stop her, my wife
prodded the bottle, which blew the cap off and exploded over the boot
carpet

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2019 14:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 14:11:56 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

If only things were always still so simple!

After the front to back wiring loom the carpets might be the very next
thing fitted on the production line

On older cars, I imagined the very first component - around which the
rest of the car was built - was the heater matrix. Or so it seemed when
you had to remove one of the ****ers.

Newer cars are even worse. My Zafira B snapped the drive from the
hot/cold stepper motor to the flap. Replacement would involve replacing
the entire heater, which would involve removing the centre console,
gear-lever, glove box, instrument cluster, dash, a 2" structural member
that crosses the whole vehicle, much of the wiring harness that is
attached to it, degassing the air-con and draining the coolant and a
fair bit more besides.

I got away with removing the bottom of the heater, squeezing my hand in
to reposition the flap and replacing the drive with a reversed,
long-reach socket that I had turned down to fit the casing hole and slit
to fit over the back edge of the flap.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/12/2019 20:32, Chris Bartram wrote:
IME, Minis don't need any help to develop holes in the floor :-)

VBG

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2019 21:09, GB wrote:
[...]

I thought the floor pan was spot welded where the direction of overlap
acted as a scoop for pumping water into the cabin?

The only Mini that didn't rust on the inside was one with no carpets!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I thought the floor pan was spot welded where the direction of overlap
acted as a scoop for pumping water into the cabin?

And they obviously didn't have seam sealer in those days. ;-)

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I thought the floor pan was spot welded where the direction of overlap
acted as a scoop for pumping water into the cabin?

And they obviously didn't have seam sealer in those days. ;-)

And even when seam sealer was used on the cars of 4 decades ago even a
minor shunt could result in the seam(s) cracking open to trap water.