Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bailing out the car

On 23/12/2019 14:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 14:11:56 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

If only things were always still so simple!

After the front to back wiring loom the carpets might be the very next
thing fitted on the production line

On older cars, I imagined the very first component - around which the
rest of the car was built - was the heater matrix. Or so it seemed when
you had to remove one of the ****ers.

Newer cars are even worse. My Zafira B snapped the drive from the
hot/cold stepper motor to the flap. Replacement would involve replacing
the entire heater, which would involve removing the centre console,
gear-lever, glove box, instrument cluster, dash, a 2" structural member
that crosses the whole vehicle, much of the wiring harness that is
attached to it, degassing the air-con and draining the coolant and a
fair bit more besides.

I got away with removing the bottom of the heater, squeezing my hand in
to reposition the flap and replacing the drive with a reversed,
long-reach socket that I had turned down to fit the casing hole and slit
to fit over the back edge of the flap.

SteveW