Dan

Default Car radio will not play when car is cold

I know this is a car question, but it is also electronic.
I've asked this question in car newsgroups but haven't had any answers =
yet. I thought I'd ask the experts here

I have a 91 Tbird with a factory premium sound cd player/radio. It will =
not play until the car is warm inside. The clock will not display either =
until the radio works.
To get the radio to play I have to restart the car after the interior is =
warm. I have to drive about 12-15 miles with heat on full blast then, if =
on expressway (which is the case on the way to work), put it in neutral, =
turn it off, restart it and put it back in drive. This can't be good for =
the trans.
Is this no play cold radio thing a common problem?

Yes, I know. I can hook up a test light or voltmeter to the power wire =
where it goes into the radio to check to make sure it is getting power =
when cold. I haven't had time nor would I know which wire to hook it to.
This is possibly an ignition switch problem as well.=20

I would like some insight before I start shooting in the dark at this =
annoying problem.

Any thoughts?

Dan
Jerry G.

The only way to fix this one is to remove the radio and bench troubleshoot
it for thermo problems. It may be a simple generic part that has become
thermo sensitive. Electrolytic caps are known to give these types of
faults.

You can use a heat gun and freeze spray to troubleshoot this one. It should
not be too hard to do, but can be a bit tricky to zero on the right part(s).

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Bill Janssen

Dan wrote:

[...]

My 91 Ford pickup had this problem with volumn. The advice I got was to
check the soldered connections around the
volumn control. I did that and found bad solder connections. Heating
them with the iron fixed the problem.

Bill K7NOM

Hot water from cold tap simulet UK diy 1 June 1st 04 12:10 AM
Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 11:02 AM
What commercial radio frequencies does Japan use? Eric Sta. Ana Electronics Repair 2 July 28th 03 08:01 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:59 PM