Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default I am a complete ******* to those apprentices

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/12/2019 18:00, ARW wrote:
I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and

Very likely the lad kept quiet, but the dad got to hear of it, anyway.

Dad's stuck with the kid, even more than you are, and just trying to
find out what needs sorting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 18:00:47 +0000, ARW
wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

I have helped him. You just have not realised it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So.Â* You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

I have helped him. You just have not realised it.

ha ha love straight talking....so non PC these days....you mustn't hurt
little Timmy's feelings...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report
and his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was
quite a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son
spent as much time taking an interest in electrics as he spent
smoking he might learn something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

When I was an apprentice I was with a heating engineer. He was the best on
the company, ex Royal Navy and was quite a hard trainer. I got the
reputation of being the best apprentice on the company. His training was
worth it, not just for then, but for later life. He must be long gone now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

I have helped him. You just have not realised it.

I'm glad. Your earlier post was easy to interpret otherwise.

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some years ago I needed an extra pair of hands on a job in Grimsby. Phoned the office and was told by the staff controller they only had young S... who wasn't much use according to the other engineers. I took him anyway. I found him to be willing and did things exactly as I told him. We completed the job and he turned to me to say he'd enjoyed working with someone who told and showed him how to do a job properly. Whether he'd been treated like an idiot by the others or he'd grown up by the time he came to me I don't know but I made sure he went back with a good report. I left the company shortly after but I heard he had become a useful lad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

He is helping him if his dad's boot up
the arse sees him get his act into gear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think much seems to have changed since the 60s then. A lot of the
intake of apprentices at the company I worked for seemed to think the day
release was fun but the actual working week was for exchanging girlie
magazines smoking in the toilets and being ill after the night before which
consisted of getting a skinful of alcohol then getting their leg over and
waking up in the morning feeling like their head was about to explode. If
that was living, than it was not for me!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite a
polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think one tends to get very cynical when you encounter the problems over
and over. I also think that for many when young you always push the
boundaries in some form or another and hence the only issue is, as we all
did it, do we just say, well, I was a little wild when I was their age, or
do you do what was done to you and get on their case. The jury is out, but I
think a bit of a compromise is what ended up happening.
We of course all think we know it all and are king of the hill at those
ages.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news
wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

I think one tends to get very cynical when you encounter the
problems over and over. I also think that for many when young
you always push the boundaries in some form or another

Yes., we evolved like that.

and hence the only issue is, as we all did it,

Not everyone does.

do we just say, well, I was a little wild when I was
their age, or do you do what was done to you
and get on their case. The jury is out,

Not really.

but I think a bit of a compromise
is what ended up happening.

We of course all think we know it all
and are king of the hill at those ages.

Yep, we evolved like that.

Two of us at that age were left unsupervised
after being shown what to do, camping out
for months by ourselves doing quite complicated
scientific research and did that fine.

news
wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 December 2019 18:00:50 UTC, ARW wrote:
I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

Things are not helped by most of the schools these days not teaching a craft skill. (Woodwork/Metalwork etc.)
Must come as a shock having to use tools as an apprentice.

They don't even seem to do domestic science these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

I have helped him. You just have not realised it.

I'm glad. Your earlier post was easy to interpret otherwise.

Perhaps you are one of those pricks who don't live in the real world?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 14:50:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole troll's latest troll****

Get the **** out of normally evolved humans' ngs, you cretinous senile Ozzie
pest!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 19:03:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yes., we evolved like that.

You "evolved" to a piece of **** troll on Usenet, senile cretin!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
I don't think much seems to have changed since the 60s then. A lot of the
intake of apprentices at the company I worked for seemed to think the day
release was fun but the actual working week was for exchanging girlie
magazines smoking in the toilets and being ill after the night before which
consisted of getting a skinful of alcohol then getting their leg over and
waking up in the morning feeling like their head was about to explode. If
that was living, than it was not for me!

I must have been lucky.

I was taken on as a technical apprentice with a mixed (craft-student)
intake of about 20.

One was from a Plymouth Brethren family and terminated after 6 weeks.
The rest spent 6 weeks training in the apprentice school before being
let loose on the factory floor. Day release at the local further
education centre morphed into block release at what is now the
University of Hertfordshire. Factory shop floor time was 6 weeks in
different depts. I spent some time making up lengths of flexible cable
needed for contactors being sold to the Admiralty:-)
After 2 years I was placed in the Electronics dept. which was changing
over from Mullard? Norbit logic to an in house system using a germanium
switching transistor. I spent the next 8 years travelling round Britain
and the near continent commissioning control systems installed by
others.

The upside of my apprenticeship was the afterwork social side. 4 rugby
teams now morphed into St. Albans Rugby Club, regular dances in the
works canteen, cricket in the Summer....

I was very sad when the company was taken over by Allen West of Brighton
and down sized. I ended up at Vickers shipbuilding who, very
surprisingly, had a test tank facility in the town.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 10:09:50 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
I don't think much seems to have changed since the 60s then. A lot of the
intake of apprentices at the company I worked for seemed to think the day
release was fun but the actual working week was for exchanging girlie
magazines smoking in the toilets and being ill after the night before which
consisted of getting a skinful of alcohol then getting their leg over and
waking up in the morning feeling like their head was about to explode. If
that was living, than it was not for me!

I must have been lucky.

I think I was, coming straight out of college and to The Post Office,
the BT bit of the day (who sent me back to college on a day release).
;-)

I was taken on as a technical apprentice with a mixed (craft-student)
intake of about 20.

Our was around 12 'Trainee Technicians' if I remember correctly.

One was from a Plymouth Brethren family and terminated after 6 weeks.

I can't remember if any of our intake dropped out or were filtered out
as I wasn't really with them for long.

The rest spent 6 weeks training in the apprentice school before being
let loose on the factory floor.

For us it was about 6 months going round each of the 'shops', learning
all the trades and then deciding on which one you preferred or were
good at. Given the built lots of gear there from the ground up, there
were full metalwork shops, paint, plating, engraving, buffing and
polishing (phone bodies and handsets) and where I went into after a
whistle stop tour of all the above (a day in each), into the Datel /
electronics repair 'shop'.

Day release at the local further
education centre morphed into block release at what is now the
University of Hertfordshire.

Was that 'Hatfield Poly'? When I was at college they / we used the
PDP11 at HP via a teletype and a 300 baud dial-up modem. ;-)

Factory shop floor time was 6 weeks in
different depts.

I think such approaches are brilliant. Gives one a chance to find out
more about more stuff and therefore getting the 'bigger picture' and
allowing you to find something that is up your street.

Also, if I needed one of those services for a private I'd know where
to go and who to ask. ;-)

I spent some time making up lengths of flexible cable
needed for contactors being sold to the Admiralty:-)

During our apprenticeship in the Datel shop we had to make a wiring
loom from scratch for a small manual exchange (small but still had a
loom 1" in diameter at it's biggest) and that was very interesting.
You see these things in equipment (like old valve radios at the time,
in a smaller scale) but with no real idea how they would be made
(commercially).

After 2 years I was placed in the Electronics dept.

I think it was a similar timescale here ... other than I was already
there and working but completed my apprenticeship and became a Factory
Technician.

which was changing
over from Mullard? Norbit logic to an in house system using a germanium
switching transistor.

We were doing component level repair of all sorts of kit, including
having to 'patch / repair' nasty Plessy SRBP boards. GEC, STC and
Marconi used fibreglass boards that rarely got damaged.

I spent the next 8 years travelling round Britain
and the near continent commissioning control systems installed by
others.

After 5 years I left BT and became a 'Field Support Tech' and so did
similar for another Co. ;-)

The upside of my apprenticeship

For me it was being able to have some decent training and the
opportunity to 'play' for 6 months before having to do real work. ;-)

Apart from competing their set test pieces, we also built our own
automatic 12V battery chargers, including making the PCB, folding up
the ally case and paining it etc.

was the afterwork social side. 4 rugby
teams now morphed into St. Albans Rugby Club, regular dances in the
works canteen, cricket in the Summer....

Oh, I was able to buy some surplus materials and tools very cheap (and
built my first pair of disco speakers from two 3/4" ply ex-wiring loom
boards. ;-)

I was very sad when the company was taken over by Allen West of Brighton
and down sized.

I have been there a couple of times and whilst it can sometimes be for
the better, it often isn't. Even if the money / conditions improve,
sometime a change in the way of doing things (not always better) can
be a pita.

I ended up at Vickers shipbuilding who, very
surprisingly, had a test tank facility in the town.

Didn't they mostly make military / RN stuff?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many skilled craftsmen delight in baffling apprentices and then criticising
them for not being able to do things that were relevant "in their day".
Remember videos of teenagers not being able to use a dial phone (why should
they) - or not knowing how to fit a 13 amp plug. What was once a necessary
part of one's upbringing has now changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
John wrote:

Many skilled craftsmen delight in baffling apprentices and then
criticising them for not being able to do things that were relevant "in
their day". Remember videos of teenagers not being able to use a dial
phone (why should they) - or not knowing how to fit a 13 amp plug. What
was once a necessary part of one's upbringing has now changed.

If an apprentice could wire up a socket, surely they could work out how to
wire up a plug?

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/12/2019 13:22, John wrote:
Many skilled craftsmen delight in baffling apprentices and then criticising
them for not being able to do things that were relevant "in their day".
Remember videos of teenagers not being able to use a dial phone (why should
they) - or not knowing how to fit a 13 amp plug. What was once a necessary
part of one's upbringing has now changed.

Baffle them my arse.

The task the last one failed to manage was to fetch all the cordless
power tools from the van vault into the flats we were working in.

Is that a difficult task?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think one tends to get very cynical when you encounter the problems over
and over. I also think that for many when young you always push the
boundaries in some form or another and hence the only issue is, as we all
did it, do we just say, well, I was a little wild when I was their age, or
do you do what was done to you and get on their case. The jury is out, but I
think a bit of a compromise is what ended up happening.
We of course all think we know it all and are king of the hill at those
ages.

Just an apprentice who doesn't want to be an apprentice I would have though.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article 6,
John wrote:

Many skilled craftsmen delight in baffling apprentices and then
criticising them for not being able to do things that were relevant "in
their day". Remember videos of teenagers not being able to use a dial
phone (why should they) - or not knowing how to fit a 13 amp plug. What
was once a necessary part of one's upbringing has now changed.

If an apprentice could wire up a socket, surely they could work out how to
wire up a plug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-AtQUf66A

If they could wire it up correctly would be a start.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 10:09:50 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
I don't think much seems to have changed since the 60s then. A lot of the
intake of apprentices at the company I worked for seemed to think the day
release was fun but the actual working week was for exchanging girlie
magazines smoking in the toilets and being ill after the night before which
consisted of getting a skinful of alcohol then getting their leg over and
waking up in the morning feeling like their head was about to explode. If
that was living, than it was not for me!

I must have been lucky.

I think I was, coming straight out of college and to The Post Office,
the BT bit of the day (who sent me back to college on a day release).
;-)

snip
I was very sad when the company was taken over by Allen West of Brighton
and down sized.

I have been there a couple of times and whilst it can sometimes be for
the better, it often isn't. Even if the money / conditions improve,
sometime a change in the way of doing things (not always better) can
be a pita.

I ended up at Vickers shipbuilding who, very
surprisingly, had a test tank facility in the town.

Didn't they mostly make military / RN stuff?

Who?

Allen West made motor control gear and had their own electronic
manufacturing set up.

EAC made a similar range and were in direct competition. All morphed
into GE-Simplex last I knew.

Vickers had two test tanks when I was there, St. Albans and Dumbarton on
the Clyde.

My involvement was radio control and telemetry of open water trials.
We used the reservoirs at Chingford although one job was a stern trawler
tested at Dumbarton and taken out to sea at Eyemouth.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad
report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was
quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as
much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might
learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So.Â* You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.
I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

I have helped him. You just have not realised it.

I'm glad.Â* Your earlier post was easy to interpret otherwise.

Perhaps you are one of those pricks who don't live in the real world?

Usually called a ****;-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

So. You enjoy being a bully. Get a life.

How is reporting the truth being a bully?

I think you are supposed to be helping him, Yes?

I suspect he helped him either get an attitude adjustment, or find a
career he is better suited to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/12/2019 08:46, harry wrote:
On Friday, 20 December 2019 18:00:50 UTC, ARW wrote:
I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

Things are not helped by most of the schools these days not teaching a craft skill. (Woodwork/Metalwork etc.)
Must come as a shock having to use tools as an apprentice.

They don't even seem to do domestic science these days.

That's why I like the Polish workers.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
I think one tends to get very cynical when you encounter the problems
over
and over. I also think that for many when young you always push the
boundaries in some form or another and hence the only issue is, as we all
did it, do we just say, well, I was a little wild when I was their age,
or
do you do what was done to you and get on their case. The jury is out,
but I
think a bit of a compromise is what ended up happening.
We of course all think we know it all and are king of the hill at those
ages.

Just an apprentice who doesn't want to be an apprentice I would have
though.

It isnt always that black and white and sure, there will always
be some who would rather put their hand out to the state for
benefits instead of getting a decent trade so they dont have to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 December 2019 13:59:51 UTC, ARW wrote:
Baffle them my arse.

You think apprentices are bad, you should try local council management.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:23 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 04:23:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

04:23??? AGAIN! LOL

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 15:13:41 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I ended up at Vickers shipbuilding who, very
surprisingly, had a test tank facility in the town.

Didn't they mostly make military / RN stuff?

Who?

"Vickers Shipbuilding"

Allen West made motor control gear and had their own electronic
manufacturing set up.

EAC made a similar range and were in direct competition. All morphed
into GE-Simplex last I knew.

Vickers had two test tanks when I was there, St. Albans and Dumbarton on
the Clyde.

I love seeing them (and the hulls they are testing) running in them.

It's a similar think but with the water moving and the test object
still (an electric outboard in this case) that I intend to make with
that water tank you gave me. ;-)

It seems that solution would be more like a wind tunnel than the
typical 'linear' water test tank that can only be run in short bursts?

Like this one:
https://www.bluebird-electric.net/oceanography/Ocean_Plastic_International_Rescue/Ocean_Rescue_International_Pictures/Recirculating_Mode_Water_Basin_Ship_Testing_Tank.g if
https://www.bluebird-electric.net/oceanography/Ocean_Plastic_International_Rescue/Water_Tank_Testing_Facilities_SeaVax_Bluebird_Mari ne_Systems.htm

This would be nice but won't fit in my back garden: ;-(
http://www4.edesign.co.uk/portfolio/...ask-basin-usa/

My involvement was radio control and telemetry of open water trials.

That sounded like fun.

We used the reservoirs at Chingford although one job was a stern trawler
tested at Dumbarton and taken out to sea at Eyemouth.

I've sailed on the King George reservoir although I prefer cruising to
sailing round in circles (or rectangles even). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

the rules in the UK have changed

Basically you can still leave school at 16, if you have an apprenticeship to
go to, otherwise you stay in education until 18.

there is no "signing on" alternative to an apprenticeship

trim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2019 08:46, harry wrote:
On Friday, 20 December 2019 18:00:50 UTC, ARW wrote:
I gave a scathing report to his tutor.

So the little ******* told his Dad that I had given him a bad report and
his Dad called me to find out why.

There was no shouting, swearing or making threats. In fact it was quite
a polite conversation until I said to his Dad "If your son spent as much
time taking an interest in electrics as he spent smoking he might learn
something".

His Dad went ballistic but not at me.

Things are not helped by most of the schools these days not teaching a craft skill. (Woodwork/Metalwork etc.)

They do, but they now have trendy names like "Design Technology -
Resistant Materials"[1], "Metal tech", "Art Craft & Design" etc

[1] Which is Wood, metal, and plastics with a lump of CAD/CAM and IT
related stuff.

Must come as a shock having to use tools as an apprentice.

They don't even seem to do domestic science these days.

Food tech or Food Preparation and Nutrition seem fairly widely available.

(needless to say they are all GCSE options, so can be avoided if desired
by the students).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

But its still possible to leave at 16, continue to bludge
off the parents as you have been doing up till then,
and then at 18 put your hand out to the state then.

there is no "signing on" alternative to an apprenticeship

Doesnt need to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
"Max Demian" wrote in message

Just an apprentice who doesn't want to be an apprentice I would have
thought.

It isn't always that black and white and sure, there will always
be some who would rather put their hand out to the state for
benefits instead of getting a decent trade so they dont have to.

the rules in the UK have changed

Basically you can still leave school at 16, if you have an
apprenticeship to go to, otherwise you stay in education until 18.

there is no "signing on" alternative to an apprenticeship

And you can't even start full time work (in England). That's stupid.
There must be plenty of teenagers who would like to work rather than do
a bogus (and unnecessary) apprenticeship for a job that anyone can do.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:42 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 04:42:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

04:42??? AGAIN? LOL One gets the impression that you REALLY got nothing in
your senile life other than your idiotic trolling on Usenet! LOL

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/12/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
"Max Demian" wrote in message

Just an apprentice who doesn't want to be an apprentice I would have
thought.

It isn't always that black and white and sure, there will always
be some who would rather put their hand out to the state for
benefits instead of getting a decent trade so they dont have to.

the rules in the UK have changed

Basically you can still leave school at 16, if you have an apprenticeship
to go to, otherwise you stay in education until 18.

there is no "signing on" alternative to an apprenticeship

And you can't even start full time work (in England). That's stupid. There
must be plenty of teenagers who would like to work rather than do a bogus
(and unnecessary) apprenticeship for a job that anyone can do.

agreed

they should stop apprenticeships for jobs that don't require extensive
training

I believe that have gone some way towards this

tim

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 December 2019 20:22:51 UTC, tim... wrote:
they should stop apprenticeships for jobs that don't require extensive
training

But they can pay apprentices a special lower minimum wage ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 22 December 2019 20:22:51 UTC, tim... wrote:
they should stop apprenticeships for jobs that don't require extensive
training

But they can pay apprentices a special lower minimum wage ...

you surprise me

Not!

tim