Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing tyres...

I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Possibly stacked up like a pile of .. tyres ?.

If you are going to keep them for a while, maybe stick
each tyre inside a strong dark black polythene sack
and even exclude as much oxygen as possible by giving
a blast from a CO2 fire extinguisher, then tape sealing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela Wrote in message:
On 15:45 18 Dec 2019, Andrew wrote:

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Possibly stacked up like a pile of .. tyres ?.

If you are going to keep them for a while, maybe stick
each tyre inside a strong dark black polythene sack
and even exclude as much oxygen as possible by giving
a blast from a CO2 fire extinguisher, then tape sealing.

What are you protecting them from in that way?

Free radicals, UV....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 17:22, newshound wrote:
On 18/12/2019 16:52, Jimk wrote:
Pamela Wrote in message:
On 15:45Â* 18 Dec 2019, Andrew wrote:

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Possibly stacked up like a pile of .. tyres ?.

If you are going to keep them for a while, maybe stick
each tyre inside a strong dark black polythene sack
and even exclude as much oxygen as possible by giving
a blast from a CO2 fire extinguisher, then tape sealing.

What are you protecting them from in that way?

Free radicals, UV....

And ozone.

Do you weld in your shed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:29:37 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed?

Presumably not fitted to rims?

Stood on edge on a flat surface will tend to make them ovid and
create a flat spot. Lying flat on a surface, possibly in a stack
would be better but how high the stack could be before the lowest
ones got too squished I don't know. Garages have them on edge in
racks that provide support in at least two places. Support like that
in the right position will avoid the ovid making but unless the
contact area is large may give a dent at the support points.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Probably the best way is to keep them individually suspended in tanks of
silicone oil at a constant probably low temperature. Maybe in so-called
'microgravity' in orbit would help too. Accelerating them to close to
the speed of light would slow down ageing relative to you.

Or just stack them up and swap them around occasionally.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 23:50, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Probably the best way is to keep them individually suspended in tanks of
silicone oil at a constant probably low temperature.Â* Maybe in so-called
'microgravity' in orbit would help too.Â* Accelerating them to close to
the speed of light would slow down ageing relative to you.

Or just stack them up and swap them around occasionally.

Cheers

what is the easiest to do?.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2019 08:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/12/2019 23:50, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood
them up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now
got them flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Probably the best way is to keep them individually suspended in tanks
of silicone oil at a constant probably low temperature.Â* Maybe in
so-called 'microgravity' in orbit would help too.Â* Accelerating them
to close to the speed of light would slow down ageing relative to you.

Or just stack them up and swap them around occasionally.

Cheers

what is the easiest to do?.....

Keep them in the dark in a cool, dry place.

Unless they are genine road-legal tyres (and not
some Chinese crap intended for horse&carts) and
they are the correct size for your car, just flog
them off and save the space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:29:37 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed?

Presumably not fitted to rims?

Stood on edge on a flat surface will tend to make them ovid and
create a flat spot. Lying flat on a surface, possibly in a stack
would be better but how high the stack could be before the lowest
ones got too squished I don't know. Garages have them on edge in
racks that provide support in at least two places. Support like that
in the right position will avoid the ovid making but unless the
contact area is large may give a dent at the support points.

Every tyre place I've ever seen stores them vertically. When fitted and
with the weight of the car, they can develop a flat spot. But on their own?

I would put them in thick black plastic bags to keep the light out, though.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2019 14:14, Andrew wrote:
[...]

but I just bought them .....chinese tyres are good ... most of them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:29:37 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed?

Presumably not fitted to rims?

Stood on edge on a flat surface will tend to make them ovid and
create a flat spot. Lying flat on a surface, possibly in a stack
would be better but how high the stack could be before the lowest
ones got too squished I don't know. Garages have them on edge in
racks that provide support in at least two places. Support like that
in the right position will avoid the ovid making but unless the
contact area is large may give a dent at the support points.

Every tyre place I've ever seen stores them vertically.

That’s because it’s the only viable way to do tyre place
storage. You need to be able to get individual tyres out
by moving just the tyre you want. That doesn’t mean
that it’s the approach which sees the tyres last longest.

When fitted and with the weight of the car,
they can develop a flat spot. But on their own?

That can happen when the tyre stands
vertically on a flat surface at the bottom.

I would put them in thick black plastic
bags to keep the light out, though.

Tyre places don’t.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 16:52, Jimk wrote:
Pamela Wrote in message:
On 15:45Â* 18 Dec 2019, Andrew wrote:

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood
them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got
them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Possibly stacked up like a pile of .. tyres ?.

If you are going to keep them for a while, maybe stick
each tyre inside a strong dark black polythene sack
and even exclude as much oxygen as possible by giving
a blast from a CO2 fire extinguisher, then tape sealing.

What are you protecting them from in that way?

Free radicals, UV....

And ozone.

Do you weld in your shed?

It's where he likes to wear his wife's underwear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:28 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 04:28:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

04:28??? Admit it, you can't sleep because NOBODY in real life talks to you
cantankerous senile pest ...while Usenet is the ONLY place where you can
keep talking to people without them being in a position to get away from
you! BG

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That can happen when the tyre stands
vertically on a flat surface at the bottom.

noticed that...why I asked...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 16:52, Jimk wrote:
Pamela Wrote in message:
[...]

talking of spare tyres you must be an expert chebs.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 16:31, Pamela wrote:
On 15:45 18 Dec 2019, Andrew wrote:

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Possibly stacked up like a pile of .. tyres ?.

If you are going to keep them for a while, maybe stick
each tyre inside a strong dark black polythene sack
and even exclude as much oxygen as possible by giving
a blast from a CO2 fire extinguisher, then tape sealing.

What are you protecting them from in that way?

UV light and oxygen or still worse traces of ozone. Tyres are really
well crosslinked polymers but they do degrade with time even so.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2019 14:14, Andrew wrote:

Unless they are genine road-legal tyres (and not
some Chinese crap intended for horse&carts) and
they are the correct size for your car, just flog
them off and save the space.

By the time you need them we won't be allowed to have private transport,
except bicycles.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2019 21:10, Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/12/2019 16:31, Pamela wrote:
On 15:45Â* 18 Dec 2019, Andrew wrote:

On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood them
up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now got them
flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Possibly stacked up like a pile of .. tyres ?.

If you are going to keep them for a while, maybe stick
each tyre inside a strong dark black polythene sack
and even exclude as much oxygen as possible by giving
a blast from a CO2 fire extinguisher, then tape sealing.

What are you protecting them from in that way?

UV light and oxygen or still worse traces of ozone. Tyres are really
well crosslinked polymers but they do degrade with time even so.

Would you worry about plasticiser release inside a plastic shed?
Probably not, I guess. It't not going to cause environmental stress
cracking of course. Which is the reason you try to reduce the stress on
them, including the old one about jacking cars up and putting the axles
on bricks. So a single layer reversed periodically might be best, if
hardly convenient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2019 15:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 19/12/2019 14:14, Andrew wrote:
On 19/12/2019 08:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/12/2019 23:50, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 18/12/2019 15:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I have nine brand new tyres of various sizes I got cheap and was
wondering what is the best way to store them in my shed? ...stood
them up one on top of others against a wall and they distorted now
got them flat biggest size at the bottom one on top of another....

Probably the best way is to keep them individually suspended in
tanks of silicone oil at a constant probably low temperature.Â* Maybe
in so-called 'microgravity' in orbit would help too.Â* Accelerating
them to close to the speed of light would slow down ageing relative
to you.

Or just stack them up and swap them around occasionally.

Cheers
what is the easiest to do?.....

Keep them in the dark in a cool, dry place.

Unless they are genine road-legal tyres (and not
some Chinese crap intended for horse&carts) and
they are the correct size for your car, just flog
them off and save the space.

but I just bought them .....chinese tyres are good ... most of them

Do you drive a reliant robin ?. Do you do a high mileage ?.
Do you like driving over nails or other sharp objects ?.

If not, why do you need 9 tyres ?. Realistically, are you
ever going to use them ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2019 12:59, Andrew wrote:
[...]

four 235 55 17 to replace the P ZERO's on the mustang before next MOT
the ones on it are dated 2012 and a bit baldy.....two 165 60 14 to
replace the fronts on the wagon r which are again 2012 and
cracking.....three 215 65 16 for the duster..two to replace the original
rears and one for the spare spare.....I will use them all next year ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2019 13:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

God willing and the creak don't rise ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Yes but they have the turnover. With so many "next day delivery"
wholesalers I doubt if they keep anything long.

Cleaning bandsaw tyres? davy[_3_] Woodworking 7 January 22nd 09 10:55 PM
UK Source for bandsaw wheels/tyres? PCPaul UK diy 2 April 13th 08 04:08 PM
Source of castors with rubber tyres? NoSpam UK diy 4 July 25th 07 08:08 PM
OT? Trailer tyres .. T i m UK diy 6 April 23rd 07 09:36 PM
Digger tyres question Rick UK diy 13 April 14th 05 09:13 PM