Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best lubricant for interior steel hinges?

As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/19 10:33, Broadback wrote:
As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

Are you sure it's the metal on metal which is squeaking? I had a garden
gate which squeaked despite oiling the hinges many times. I eventually
worked out it was wood on wood or wood on metal (nails) which was making
the noise. I gave up trying to solve it as it was outside and only very
infrequently an issue.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 10:34:03 UTC, Broadback wrote:

As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

then you'll likely find that no lube solves it. Unless you've been lubing with something useless like WD40, in which case any real lubricant should do.. Any sort of mineral oil - baby oil (yes, babies are mineral), engine oil, sewing machine oil, 3in1 or any other brand, any random leftover lube oil, etc etc. Not vegetable oil, marge or wd40.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:33:59 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

Do the hinges have a nylon inserts / washers / spacers?

Are you using a heavy oil and working it in properly?

We have rising buts on most of our doors and if they stop closing on
their own I know they need a drop of heavy oil (they will then last a
few years). I use some diff oil as that's nice a heavy and deals with
the extreme pressures well.

If they do contain some plastic then you can get specific lubricants
for such but a test would be to use some water.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just use good old 3 in one myself.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with various
greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with various
greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

Graphite usually used to squirt in lock barrels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ray" wrote in :

"Broadback" wrote in message
As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are
off protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long
lasting solution please?

Graphite usually used to squirt in lock barrels.

Are they mis-aligned and this is caused them to be stressed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 04:17:39 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

Graphite usually used to squirt in lock barrels.

You are of course the first ever idiot who suggested to use graphite for
door hinges! LOL

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."