Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best lubricant for steel hinges?

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 13:48:56 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

What are you using at the moment?

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2019 13:54, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 13:48:56 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

What are you using at the moment?

I've tried various greases and WD40, also gun oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 13:48:56 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

I use a spray can of motorcycle chain lube. Goes on thin, dries to a thick
sticky grease. Lasts a few years on a gate in full waether, on an open hinge (a
vertical pin in a metal hole just off the ground).

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 February 2019 14:00:37 UTC, Broadback wrote:
On 04/02/2019 13:54, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 13:48:56 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

What are you using at the moment?

I've tried various greases and WD40, also gun oil.

WD40 is mostly solvent, it's a very poor lube. Grease doesn't travel much. Any oil that can get into there and is mineral not vegetable should do. Chainsaw bar oil has extra hangaboutiness (tackiness). You could always add graphite powder if you like for some extra lubrication.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I still use 3in one, but of course as there is no way to retain the oil
you do need to do it quite often.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what is
the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/02/2019 15:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I still use 3in one, but of course as there is no way to retain the oil
you do need to do it quite often.
Brian

I was going to say 3in1, but it seems so old-fashioned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback writes:
I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

Engine oil on standard hinges (nick a drop off the end of
the dip stick if you haven't got a container of it handy,
but don't drip it on the carpet).

Rising butts want grease.

WD40 is great for cleaning off old oil/grease/dirt, but
useless for lubrication.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-02-04, Broadback wrote:

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

I use one of those bicycle chain mixes consisting of wax & solvent.
You shake the bottle vigorously to make sure the wax is dissolved (it
settles out over time), then put a few drops in the top of the hinge
(with a rag around it to protect the door & frame). The solvent
evaporates & leaves a bit of wax throughout the hinge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 15:03:07 +0100, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

I use a spray can of motorcycle chain lube. Goes on thin, dries to a thick
sticky grease. Lasts a few years on a gate in full waether, on an open hinge (a
vertical pin in a metal hole just off the ground).

Errr -- you do mean outside, no?

Cause the motorbike chain lube is sticky, greasy, and Not An Indoors Product.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

I use a spray can of motorcycle chain lube. Goes on thin, dries to a thick
sticky grease. Lasts a few years on a gate in full waether, on an open
hinge (a
vertical pin in a metal hole just off the ground).

I don't bother to lubricate mine that are like that, works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2019 13:48, Broadback wrote:
I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what
is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?

3 in 1