Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Best lubricant for interior steel hinges?

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:33:59 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

Do the hinges have a nylon inserts / washers / spacers?

Are you using a heavy oil and working it in properly?

We have rising buts on most of our doors and if they stop closing on
their own I know they need a drop of heavy oil (they will then last a
few years). I use some diff oil as that's nice a heavy and deals with
the extreme pressures well.

If they do contain some plastic then you can get specific lubricants
for such but a test would be to use some water.

Cheers, T i m