Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Best lubricant for interior steel hinges?

On 04/12/2019 11:49, wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 10:34:03 UTC, Broadback wrote:

As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are
auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with
various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off
protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting
solution please?

then you'll likely find that no lube solves it. Unless you've been lubing with something useless like WD40, in which case any real lubricant should do. Any sort of mineral oil - baby oil (yes, babies are mineral), engine oil, sewing machine oil, 3in1 or any other brand, any random leftover lube oil, etc etc. Not vegetable oil, marge or wd40.

NT

I had the same thoughts as Jeff.

I still like good old 3 in 1 for this sort of thing. It's fairly thick
so stays around well, and contains a rust inhibitor so it is
particularly good in damp sheds, etc.

As an aside, baby oil is sometimes a highly refined mineral oil, but
these days it can also be palm oil.