Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting a paving slab

I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving slab.
I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the usual
health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire a wet
cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and clean an
edge as possible and previous experience suggests that chiselling and
hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on both surfaces and
both edges) won't necessarily provide that. Are there any handy tips for a
neater result? Does the sharpness of the bolster chisel make any
appreciable difference? Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 10:57, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving
slab. I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the
usual health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire
a wet cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and
clean an edge as possible and previous experience suggests that
chiselling and hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on
both surfaces and both edges) won't necessarily provide that.Â* Are there
any handy tips for a neater result?Â* Does the sharpness of the bolster
chisel make any appreciable difference?Â* Many thanks.

Just use an angle grinder - it will take a few minutes and give you a
clean cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote:

Just use an angle grinder - it will take a few minutes and give you a
clean cut.

Thanks. Do you recommend trying to cut through the whole thickness, or using
the angle grinder to groove right round and then applying pressure to snap
the slab?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 11:09:08 +0000, Bert Coules wrote:

"alan_m" wrote:

Just use an angle grinder - it will take a few minutes and give you a
clean cut.

Thanks. Do you recommend trying to cut through the whole thickness, or
using the angle grinder to groove right round and then applying pressure
to snap the slab?

Will the cut edge be exposed to view?

If not, the roughness of the broken bit will be concealed anyway.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Will the cut edge be exposed to view?

I think it's unavoidable, yes. But even if not and I can arrange for the
cut to butt up against another slab, I'd still like the cut edge to be
neater than I've usually managed in the past. Probably just my incompetence
but I'm unlikely to have improved, I suspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 10:57:36 UTC, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving slab.
I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the usual
health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire a wet
cutter for a single slab,

Can you use a separate water sprayer (or garden hose)?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 10:57:39 +0000, Bert Coules wrote:

I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving
slab.
I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the usual
health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire a wet
cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and clean
an edge as possible and previous experience suggests that chiselling and
hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on both surfaces
and both edges) won't necessarily provide that. Are there any handy
tips for a neater result? Does the sharpness of the bolster chisel make
any appreciable difference? Many thanks.

Are you breaking it over something?
That is, cut the notch then place something (broom handle, bit os scrap
wood) under the larger part so the waste is off the ground, then lean on
the waste.

Similar to cutting tiles, allegedly it should then break off cleanly.

I stress the "allegedly".

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" Wrote in message:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving slab.
I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the usual
health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire a wet
cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and clean an
edge as possible and previous experience suggests that chiselling and
hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on both surfaces and
both edges) won't necessarily provide that. Are there any handy tips for a
neater result? Does the sharpness of the bolster chisel make any
appreciable difference? Many thanks.

For one? Just angle grind it.

I doubt you'll get a "perfect" edge whether you score it or go all
the way. There'll either be a rough centre break &/or circular
blade marks all along the cut.

Give it a season or two & you won't notice either unless the cut
edge is really prominent.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 10:57:36 UTC, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving slab.
I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the usual
health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire a wet
cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and clean an
edge as possible and previous experience suggests that chiselling and
hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on both surfaces and
both edges) won't necessarily provide that. Are there any handy tips for a
neater result? Does the sharpness of the bolster chisel make any
appreciable difference? Many thanks.

The only way you'll get a neat cut is with an angle grinder. Wear a mask if worried about dust. Smacking it with a chisel will not succeed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 10:57, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving
slab. I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the
usual health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire
a wet cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and
clean an edge as possible and previous experience suggests that
chiselling and hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on
both surfaces and both edges) won't necessarily provide that. Are there
any handy tips for a neater result? Does the sharpness of the bolster
chisel make any appreciable difference? Many thanks.

If you use a 9" angle grinder with a diamond-tipped cutting wheel you
can go right through a 2" slab from one side. Use a mask and use the
grinder the the right way up (moving the guard round if necessary) to
ensure that the dust is directed *away* from you. Unless you're very
skilled (which I'm not!) you may not end up with a completely straight
and smooth cut - but it will be a *lot* better than using a chisel.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 10:57, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving
slab. I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the
usual health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire
a wet cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and
clean an edge as possible and previous experience suggests that
chiselling and hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on
both surfaces and both edges) won't necessarily provide that.Â* Are there
any handy tips for a neater result?Â* Does the sharpness of the bolster
chisel make any appreciable difference?Â* Many thanks.

Cut all round using a diamond wheel. The snap. Then use the diamond
wheel at a slight angle to tidy the rough edge where the break was.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 10:57, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving
slab. I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the
usual health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire
a wet cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and
clean an edge as possible and previous experience suggests that
chiselling and hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on
both surfaces and both edges) won't necessarily provide that.Â* Are there
any handy tips for a neater result?Â* Does the sharpness of the bolster
chisel make any appreciable difference?Â* Many thanks.

Angle grinder, diamond blade, dust mask!

(if using a 4" machine you will need to cut both sides)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 11:28, Bert Coules wrote:
David wrote:

Will the cut edge be exposed to view?

I think it's unavoidable, yes.Â* But even if not and I can arrange for
the cut to butt up against another slab, I'd still like the cut edge to
be neater than I've usually managed in the past.Â* Probably just my
incompetence but I'm unlikely to have improved, I suspect.

If you have access to a 9" grinder, then the technique I would use is to
do one shallow straight pass, pulling the machine toward you to score
the top surface (against a wooden batten if you want a really straight
edge), then I follow up with a full depth pass pushing the machine away
from me, but using the score a as a guide line to follow. That means all
the dust is ejected down and under the slab (which needs to be raised on
something) rather than straight at you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and ear defenders. I'm sure there a lot of partially deaf landscapers
out there. Pardon, a quarter past three.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/11/2019 10:57, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to make a single cut in a two inch thick basic concrete paving
slab. I believe that dry power cutting is frowned on these days for the
usual health and safety reasons, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to hire a
wet cutter for a single slab, but I'd like to finish with as neat and
clean an edge as possible and previous experience suggests that
chiselling and hammering (even if the preliminary channels are made on
both surfaces and both edges) won't necessarily provide that. Are there
any handy tips for a neater result? Does the sharpness of the bolster
chisel make any appreciable difference? Many thanks.

Angle grinder, diamond blade, dust mask!

(if using a 4" machine you will need to cut both sides)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian, thanks for that. I did wear goggles over my glasses, but no mask: in
the event, the job actually generated a lot less dust than I was expecting.