Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paving over existing paving

We have a 30 sq metre terrace that for the last 30 years has been paved
with 600 x 600 x 50 pink and grey concrete slabs. The area is going to
have facelift this summer and we are thinking about a new surface of
Bradstone textured slabs.

The question is should we lay them over the existing slabs, which are
stable and reasonably level or is it really necessary to lift them? I
appreciate the need for the new slabs to stay below the dpc and air
bricks.

If it is OK will a bed of sharp sand suffice or is mortar necessary
under these circumstances?
--
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:

We have a 30 sq metre terrace that for the last 30 years has been paved
with 600 x 600 x 50 pink and grey concrete slabs. The area is going to
have facelift this summer and we are thinking about a new surface of
Bradstone textured slabs.

The question is should we lay them over the existing slabs, which are
stable and reasonably level or is it really necessary to lift them? I
appreciate the need for the new slabs to stay below the dpc and air
bricks.

If it is OK will a bed of sharp sand suffice or is mortar necessary
under these circumstances?

I did this last year for someone.
I didnt really want to do it, but he insisted that they were done that
way to save the time/expense of removing the old ones.
I laid the new ones on a 1 inch bed of dry sharp sand/cement mix,
probably a 6 or 8 to 1 mixture.
I was round his house last week, and they still look good, so it must
have worked.
Alan.

Paving Adam-the-Kiwi UK diy 6 October 19th 06 06:18 AM
Distance between paving and DPC [email protected] UK diy 2 April 19th 05 10:41 AM
Best way to point paving? Rod Stormes UK diy 9 June 10th 04 08:28 PM
Paving Titch UK diy 4 March 29th 04 10:26 PM
Paving Slabs Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 9 March 8th 04 07:53 PM