Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Suspicious stain on paving slab

With the respite in the rain the last few days (hasn't rained since
Thursday) all of our patio (18"x18" slabs) is dry.

Except a small patch on one slab. Which rather worringly looks to be over
the line of the drain pipe from the external drain by the side of the
house, to where it joins the inspection pit with the manhole cover about
2.5m away.

(I know it goes into this pit, as I remove the cover to empty my caravan
loo, so can see the pipe). The pipes a 1960s ceramic type.

Before I start lifting slabs, and excavating, is it possible that a
cracked or damaged pipe could cause an upward dampness like this ? Is
there any easy repair, or (assuming it is damaged) is the proper job to
replace the entire length of pipe ? Would folks say the hardest part of
the job is digging the old pipe free, or actually replacing the pipe ?

As always, TIA guys ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2013 17:05, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

How deep is the drain pipe?

Really the only way to know for sure is to have a look, and the easiest
way to do that is with a camera, either by getting someone to do a
camera survey, or buying/hiring somthing yourself.

If it is just cracked, or has root ingress on a join, the drain can be
lined with a resin liner, but I think that is out of the DIY scope.

It may be covered under your house insurance.

If the drains are running free, I would be inclided to leave it and see
if it stays like this long term before digging anything up.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:36:59 +0000, Toby wrote:

[...]

Well in the inspection chamber the pipes about 18-24" under the surface.
So rising from that to meet the drain.

Really the only way to know for sure is to have a look, and the easiest
way to do that is with a camera, either by getting someone to do a
camera survey, or buying/hiring somthing yourself.

If it is just cracked, or has root ingress on a join, the drain can be
lined with a resin liner, but I think that is out of the DIY scope.

There's no trees near it - although from what I understand roots can
travel quite a bit.

It may be covered under your house insurance.

Hmmm hadn't thought of that.

If the drains are running free, I would be inclided to leave it and see
if it stays like this long term before digging anything up.

As far as I can tell drain is running free. Pouring a bucket of water
down it results in water out the other end !

Maybe, as an experiment, I'll swap slabs ... at least the Mrs will think
I'm doing *something*.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2013 17:46, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea, you dont happen to use a BBQ where this patch is do
you, just thinking it could be fat that has soaked into the slab rather
than water?

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 5:05*pm, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

You would only get water on the surface if the drain was blocked. So
first thing is to get the cover up and pour water down the drain and
see if you can see it passing through the manhole.

If so leave it be for a while at least.
The water may be a temporary spring or from a mains water pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

Except a small patch on one slab. Which rather worringly looks to be over
the line of the drain pipe from the external drain by the side of the
house, to where it joins the inspection pit with the manhole cover about
2.5m away.

There's not a dripping gutter above the damp patch is there?

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/13 06:46, Nige Danton wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

Except a small patch on one slab. Which rather worringly looks to be over
the line of the drain pipe from the external drain by the side of the
house, to where it joins the inspection pit with the manhole cover about
2.5m away.

There's not a dripping gutter above the damp patch is there?

Or a net curtain visible where the MILF next door strips off?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Cutting a paving slab Andrew Gabriel UK diy 13 April 18th 11 03:32 PM
paving slab cutting Stephen[_12_] UK diy 11 April 14th 11 11:22 AM
paving slab adhesion Leo[_4_] UK diy 3 April 6th 10 02:13 PM
Paving Slab - Loss of Colour topo UK diy 0 July 22nd 07 11:48 AM
Paving Slab layout software ?? the pilot UK diy 1 February 2nd 06 03:26 AM