Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting a paving slab

Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Just wondering if it's a complete waste of time even trying...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 3:21*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

It's the thickness that matters...

But yes. If it's a bit too thick or you get bored, after it scoring
as deeply as you can be bothered, and supporting it under the the cut-
line, a good whack on the offcut ought to crack the rest away neatly
enough - apart from the top edge, the rest is all presumably going to
be hidden anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2011 15:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Just wondering if it's a complete waste of time even trying...

I did it with a couple of bog standard stone cutting discs (I didn't
fancy buggering up my diamond tile blade). IIRC I got about two thirds
of the way through and snapped the slab over a length of wood. Easy if
the offcuts are a reasonable size.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

It's the thickness that matters...
But yes. If it's a bit too thick or you get bored, after it scoring
as deeply as you can be bothered, and supporting it under the the cut-
line, a good whack on the offcut ought to crack the rest away neatly
enough - apart from the top edge, the rest is all presumably going to
be hidden anyway.

Actually, the edge is going to be visible - it's being used as a cap
stone. I thought of molding one, but that doesn't look doable in 24
hours (unless I molded it in place, maybe).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 3:54*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

It's the thickness that matters...
But yes. *If it's a bit too thick or you get bored, after it scoring
as deeply as you can be bothered, and supporting it under the the cut-
line, a good whack on the offcut ought to crack the rest away neatly
enough - apart from the top edge, the rest is all presumably going to
be hidden anyway.

Actually, the edge is going to be visible - it's being used as a cap
stone. I thought of molding one, but that doesn't look doable in 24
hours (unless I molded it in place, maybe).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Cut both sides then as John Rumm suggested. Running along a strip of
timber helps keeps everything tidy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Just wondering if it's a complete waste of time even trying...

--
Andrew Gabriel

With a diamond disk easy. Without, forget it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 3:54*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

It's the thickness that matters...
But yes. *If it's a bit too thick or you get bored, after it scoring
as deeply as you can be bothered, and supporting it under the the cut-
line, a good whack on the offcut ought to crack the rest away neatly
enough - apart from the top edge, the rest is all presumably going to
be hidden anyway.

Actually, the edge is going to be visible - it's being used as a cap
stone. I thought of molding one, but that doesn't look doable in 24
hours (unless I molded it in place, maybe).

--
Andrew Gabriel

You can smooth the edge off with you diamond disk too. Fiddly but do-
able
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Yes. Deepest narrow score you can manage, then go along it with a wide
bolster chisel.

I'd do one, then the other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Just wondering if it's a complete waste of time even trying...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Personally i'd borrow or hire a bigger cutter with a diamond disc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Just wondering if it's a complete waste of time even trying...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Personally i'd borrow or hire a bigger cutter with a diamond disc

For one slab? Blimey, you must be made of money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2011 15:54, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Is it possible to trim down a 600x600 concrete paving slab along
2 sides with a 115mm diameter angle grinder?

Actually, the edge is going to be visible - it's being used as a cap
stone. I thought of molding one, but that doesn't look doable in 24
hours (unless I molded it in place, maybe).

Will it look odd with two edges cut, however neatly, and showing
sliced-through aggregate particles, and two edges as-moulded?

If all four edges are visible, I think I'd want to run a Stihl-saw down
all four.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 9:36*am, stuart noble wrote:

Personally i'd borrow or hire a bigger cutter with a diamond disc

For one slab? Blimey, you must be made of money.

9" angle grinders are really cheap (try the Site one) and diamond
disks (from Aldi of all places) ridiculously so. As a 9" grinder is
handy for stone cutting generally, it's not unreasonable.

How much does a 'standard' paving slab weigh? [email protected] UK diy 51 October 17th 20 08:13 AM
paving slab cutting Stephen[_12_] UK diy 11 April 14th 11 11:22 AM
paving slab adhesion Leo[_4_] UK diy 3 April 6th 10 02:13 PM
Paving Slab - Loss of Colour topo UK diy 0 July 22nd 07 11:48 AM
Concrete paving slab weights? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 9 May 13th 07 11:08 PM