Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default paving slab adhesion

We have some nice looking steps to our door built last year with
brick risers and
Bradstone concrete slab treads. The treads are bedded on mortar but
are nonetheless
loose. I have no idea how the builders achieved this, but we have
already made them
try to remedy the situation, to no lasting effect.

Has anyone got ideas of why they haven't stuck and what I could
possibly do about it?

Leo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leo wrote:
We have some nice looking steps to our door built last year with
brick risers and
Bradstone concrete slab treads. The treads are bedded on mortar but
are nonetheless
loose. I have no idea how the builders achieved this, but we have
already made them
try to remedy the situation, to no lasting effect.

Has anyone got ideas of why they haven't stuck and what I could
possibly do about it?

Leo

Maybe not enough suction from the mortar when they laid them. You could
probably re-bed them with Gripfil (the original solvent based version,
aka gorilla snot)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leo wrote:
We have some nice looking steps to our door built last year with
brick risers and
Bradstone concrete slab treads. The treads are bedded on mortar but
are nonetheless
loose. I have no idea how the builders achieved this, but we have
already made them
try to remedy the situation, to no lasting effect.

Has anyone got ideas of why they haven't stuck

almost certainly they were trodden on before they set, or the mortar was
so weak its broken down.

and what I could
possibly do about it?

Lift the slabs smash up the mortar and remove, and reset in STRONG
mortar (2:1 sand:cement).

Leo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Leo" wrote in message

Has anyone got ideas of why they haven't stuck and what I could
possibly do about it?

wrong mix, dirty surface, too dry ... ?

give underside of slab good clean with wire brush .. prime with Unibond
solution, bed onto a good 4:1 mix.
As you want good adhesion I would use a bricklaying mortar consistency
rather than semi-dry.