Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen cupboard carcasses - where to buy?

On 07/11/2019 15:31, GB wrote:
On 07/11/2019 15:07, wrote:
If you want water tolerant carcasses, afaik you'd need to make your
own. Wood frame or a suitable ply or OSB.

I think that ply may be the way to go. My local Builders Depot has a
large and very accurate machine for cutting up the panels. What I'm not
sure about is whether the edges of the ply panels would look okay if
painted or varnished, or whether you would have to lip them all with
solid wood?

Assuming you are using conventional front mounted doors you can even get
away with 18 mm shuttering ply for the carcases. Make a sawboard to cut
up your own panels, and get a biscuit cutter. Quickest and easiest way
to make a strong, accurate "box". I had to do this for one "unit"
because I wanted a large sink (at a sensible price) and it had to fit in
a non-standard sized space. I also made three deep but narrow-ish waste
bins for waste and recycling to use up the space. 12 mm ply sides, 18 mm
back front and bottom to provide rigidity. They sit on castors and just
pull out.

But I agree, solid wood lips look nicest. I did this on the "end" and
"back" of ordinary laminated chipboard worktops rather than faff around
trying to use finishing strips. (There's a peninsular so I needed to
finish the back of one piece). Ordinary softwood, fitted with concealed
dowels then stained and varnished.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2019 17:00, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 07:07:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, 7 November 2019 12:06:39 UTC, wrote:

The next in a long-running series of questions ... where to buy kitchen
cupboard carcasses?
My list so far has Howdens, B&Q (not impressed), Wickes and Screwfix -
has anyone here got any recommendations (or the opposite)?

For standard chipboard, you may as well use gumtree facebook freecycle freegle etc and add your own doors. If you want water tolerant carcasses, afaik you'd need to make your own. Wood frame or a suitable ply or OSB. Or go concrete.

NT

I used P5 (?) chipboard (hard, green, coating) in the loft. On a 'fine' day
there was a shower that wetted the surfaces and was dripping of the pile of
sheets, some going onto the tongues and into the grooves.
Couldn't move it immediately, so separated the sheets and stood them on
edge. No sign of swelling anywhere.
I don't know if it would be any good for making units.

MRMDF would be a better option than chip, since you can finish it to a
good standard without needing to lip or veneer it.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Kitchen doors and carcasses Martin UK diy 4 January 31st 05 08:59 AM
Kitchen Carcasses - Looking for a supplier Don McLean UK diy 9 November 24th 04 10:21 AM
Cheap supplier of kitchen unit carcasses? Seri UK diy 1 October 4th 04 10:45 AM
Kitchen Carcasses & Doors Ian UK diy 19 August 30th 04 03:34 PM
Cheapest kitchen carcasses? Andy Kirkland UK diy 2 July 28th 03 10:53 PM