Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Kitchen cupboard carcasses - where to buy?

On 07/11/2019 15:31, GB wrote:
On 07/11/2019 15:07, wrote:
If you want water tolerant carcasses, afaik you'd need to make your
own. Wood frame or a suitable ply or OSB.

I think that ply may be the way to go. My local Builders Depot has a
large and very accurate machine for cutting up the panels. What I'm not
sure about is whether the edges of the ply panels would look okay if
painted or varnished, or whether you would have to lip them all with
solid wood?

Assuming you are using conventional front mounted doors you can even get
away with 18 mm shuttering ply for the carcases. Make a sawboard to cut
up your own panels, and get a biscuit cutter. Quickest and easiest way
to make a strong, accurate "box". I had to do this for one "unit"
because I wanted a large sink (at a sensible price) and it had to fit in
a non-standard sized space. I also made three deep but narrow-ish waste
bins for waste and recycling to use up the space. 12 mm ply sides, 18 mm
back front and bottom to provide rigidity. They sit on castors and just
pull out.

But I agree, solid wood lips look nicest. I did this on the "end" and
"back" of ordinary laminated chipboard worktops rather than faff around
trying to use finishing strips. (There's a peninsular so I needed to
finish the back of one piece). Ordinary softwood, fitted with concealed
dowels then stained and varnished.