Martin

Default Kitchen doors and carcasses

Hi,

Does anyone know thw set place for kitchen carcasses, and also for standard
sized pine doors which are suitable for painting to my own choice of colour?

The doors must be reasonably priced - I have seen companies that make them
to order, but these are out of my price range.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin.

Grunff

Martin wrote:

Does anyone know thw set place for kitchen carcasses, and also for standard
sized pine doors which are suitable for painting to my own choice of colour?

The doors must be reasonably priced - I have seen companies that make them
to order, but these are out of my price range.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've bought units from B&Q, Wickes and MFI. IMHO there's very little
difference between them. B&Q have the advantage of carrying a lot of
stock of their standard range, which means if you find you need one
extra unit on Sunday, you can go and pick one up.

As for doors - you really want to buy pine doors then paint them? Paint
isn't a very durable finish, and takes a lot of work to get right. Would
you not be better off buing doors finished in an appropriate colour?

--
Grunff
Martin

"Grunff" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

[...]

I have painted bathroom cabinets and applied several coats of acrylic
eggshell varnish and have had no problems with durability - even with 4
children in the house. I want to use Farrow & Ball paints in traditional
colours to make the kitchen look bespoke, but unfortunately I cannot afford
for a cabinet maker to do it for me. I know it will be time consuming, but I
think it will be worth it in the long-run.

B&Q do "Premium" cabinet doors on the web site, but they never seem to have
the full range in stock and do not seem to let you put them on back order or
contact them in any way!

John Rumm

Martin wrote:

for a cabinet maker to do it for me. I know it will be time consuming, but I
think it will be worth it in the long-run.

Sounds like the ideal sort of job to work out how to spray them, that
would make it quite quick, and impove the quality of the finsh.

--
Cheers,

John.

simon beer

"Martin" wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

[...]

I've hand built my own kitchen out of wood. All the carcasses are made of
18mm ply then all wood faced and hand made doors. Painted in F&Ball matt
emulsion! Looks great and very hardy. This is the second one I've made and
hand painted, and like you have children, never had any paint chip off. I go
over the emulsion paint with a clear wax finish. Next time I would consider
buying a compressor and spraying and finishing with a clear glaze or
something. Some of the units or doors are left as wood and stained with a
stripped pine stain and polished. I have some pics if your interested in
giving it a go yourself!
--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

Kitchen Carcasses - Looking for a supplier Don McLean UK diy 9 November 24th 04 10:21 AM
Expensive kitchen or cheap alternative? Richard UK diy 18 November 12th 04 12:08 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Kitchen Carcasses & Doors Ian UK diy 19 August 30th 04 03:34 PM
Cheapest kitchen carcasses? Andy Kirkland UK diy 2 July 28th 03 10:53 PM