Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol-engined washing machine

Did we ever have them over here, or were they just an American thing?

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2019 19:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Did we ever have them over here, or were they just an American thing?

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

Dunno but I wondered why youtube offered me that while I was browsing
electric vehicles

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 October 2019 19:23:38 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Did we ever have them over here, or were they just an American thing?

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

AFAIK washing machines didn't become a thing here until the 1950s with single tubs then twin tubs. People got electricity before they got washing machines, so I'd expect petrol machines to be close to nonexistent here.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Friday, 25 October 2019 19:23:38 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Did we ever have them over here, or were they just an American thing?

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

AFAIK washing machines didn't become a thing here until the 1950s with
single tubs then twin tubs. People got electricity before they got
washing machines, so I'd expect petrol machines to be close to nonexistent here.

NT

We were still on a Lister Startomatic 1.5 kW generator when Mother got her
first washing machine a twin tub.
She could not use the heating element for a couple of years until the mains
arrived, meanwhile it was filled with hot water heated by the kitchen
range.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote

Did we ever have them over here,
or were they just an American thing?

Nope, we had them here in Oz too.

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 00:15:05 UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 25 October 2019 19:23:38 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Did we ever have them over here, or were they just an American thing?

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

AFAIK washing machines didn't become a thing here until the 1950s with single tubs then twin tubs. People got electricity before they got washing machines, so I'd expect petrol machines to be close to nonexistent here.

NT

Washing machines had hand operated paddles before electric ones.
We had one made almost entirely out of wood.

Before that, washing was "boiled up" agitated with a "posser".

Before that. it was beaten on stones.
Still is in some places.

"Soap flakes" was the detergent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 14:14:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Did we ever have them over here,
or were they just an American thing?

Nope, we had them here in Oz too.

He asked about the UK as this is a UK ng, you clinically insane sociopathic
cretin!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 04:14:37 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Andy Burns wrote

Did we ever have them over here,
or were they just an American thing?

Nope, we had them here in Oz too.

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

and before them you had criminal powered washing machines. ;-P