Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Petrol-engined washing machine

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 00:15:05 UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 25 October 2019 19:23:38 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Did we ever have them over here, or were they just an American thing?

https://youtu.be/t_egp4Hqc8Q?t=27

AFAIK washing machines didn't become a thing here until the 1950s with single tubs then twin tubs. People got electricity before they got washing machines, so I'd expect petrol machines to be close to nonexistent here.

NT

Washing machines had hand operated paddles before electric ones.
We had one made almost entirely out of wood.

Before that, washing was "boiled up" agitated with a "posser".

Before that. it was beaten on stones.
Still is in some places.

"Soap flakes" was the detergent.