Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Washing Machine Motors - What a Difference From Mom's Old Washing Machine

Just for the heck of it I decided to tear down our old washing machine to
see what might be salvageable. For parts.

Not much really. There is a little tiny servo for the detergent dispenser.
Doesn't look to have an encoder so there must be a position sensor. I might
tear into it someday, but I don't have much use for a servo with power in
the milliwatts.

There are a couple modestly heavy springs that the basket and tub assembly
hung from. Those I'll save for sure. Four shock absorbers tied to the
bottom of the tub. Those I'll probably save for a while, but probably not
forever. Lots of hoses. Lots of heavy spring wire hose clamps.

A stainless steel laundry basket with out a dynamic balancing ring, so maybe
a short term burning basket that I don't have to depressurize first. Looks
like they counted on the shock absorbers and the springs to take up for out
of balance loads. Well that, and there are several heavy cast concrete
(resin-crete of some kind maybe) that act as inertial dampers.

I can probably save the drain pump if I determine what voltage it takes.
Not sure what use I would have for it though. Its a pretty application
specific shaped pump.

The main motor though got my attention. Looks like 3 wires going into an
open frame motor. Lots of other stuff. Some sort of sensor on the back
shaft, etc. When I looked at the motor to see if it was labeled I noted
something that really got my attention.

It says 195V 310hz 17500 RPM.

Isn't about 195V volts about what a 110-220 VFD puts out? Did I just find a
high speed 3 phase spindle motor for a future project?

Oh, yeah, there was two quarters behind the drain pump trash collection
basket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 7:09:51 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't that be 1750 instead of 17500?

Garrett
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 16:09:44 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
It says 195V 310hz 17500 RPM.

Isn't about 195V volts about what a 110-220 VFD puts out? Did I just find a
high speed 3 phase spindle motor for a future project?

I was curious about those numbers/values so just did a simple search:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=washi...7500+RPM&kd=-1

There was a lot of info on DIY stuff for those motors. Some youtube
videos too. Not sure if its detailed enough for what you want but worth
a look...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Garrett Fulton" wrote in message

[...]

**************

No. It clearly says 17500. There is a huge pulley reduction between the
basket and the motor. I seem to recall that the baskets spins around 1200
RPM. Yeah, that fast.

I've located and identified the motor controller. I don't know if I can use
it yet. It appears to use 5VDC signal voltage. Hook up looks pretty
straight forward. But there does not appear to be a forward reverse input
in a form I am used to. There is a neat cover safety switch and ground
safety.

I'm going to see if the controller is a sourced part or an oem only part.
If its a sourced part I might be able to get more information on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
It says 195V 310hz 17500 RPM.

Isn't about 195V volts about what a 110-220 VFD puts out? Did I just find
high speed 3 phase spindle motor for a future project?

I was curious about those numbers/values so just did a simple search:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=washi...7500+RPM&kd=-1

There was a lot of info on DIY stuff for those motors. Some youtube
videos too. Not sure if its detailed enough for what you want but worth
a look...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

**********************

Hi Leon,

Thanks. I had not gotten that far. So far I've just figured out what I can
by observation. I've identified the motor controller. It is labeled with a
5VDC input. I don't know if that is just a single activation input or if it
works as a speed control. Given that it turns slow for washing, and very
fast for the spin cycle it almost has to be a variable speed control input.

I thought this thing was reversible, but there does not appear to be an
easily identifiable forward reverse input. I suppose it could just turn in
one direction. It would still be ok for many applications. Of course I
could use a different VFD to control the motor, but it would be cool to be
able to repurpose this one. Its not likely I would need use a high speed
motor for a reversible application, but all my high speed spindles are
reversible even though I never use them that way.

My next step is to see if its a sourced part or an OEM only part. If its
a sourced part I might be able to get more information on it.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the first couple resources I checked guys on forums were further behind
the information curve than I am regarding this motor and controller, but its
nice to see I am not the only one who likes to junk stuff out to find out
what's re-useable. I was surprised at how many people wanted to say it was
just a paperweight though.

I'd like to get an idea what kind of horsepower it is. Can't be much.
Probably has to be spinning pretty fast to develop much too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:05:26 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

In the first couple resources I checked guys on forums were further behind
the information curve than I am regarding this motor and controller, but its
nice to see I am not the only one who likes to junk stuff out to find out
what's re-useable. I was surprised at how many people wanted to say it was
just a paperweight though.

I'd like to get an idea what kind of horsepower it is. Can't be much.
Probably has to be spinning pretty fast to develop much too.

This guy has several youtube videos. This is the second one for washing
machine motors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQg2WiHpUY

I watched some of it but he's moving along too slow for me. I just
wanted to see if he had any useful info...

Have you tried finding the repair manual? See if it has a schematic or
better yet circuit description?

Post the make and model number and I'll do some looking when I get a
minute or two.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:05:26 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

You might want to check this site out:

http://calenterprises.co.uk/speed.html

Suppose to have a kit to drive old washing machine motors.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news
No. It clearly says 17500. There is a huge pulley reduction between the
basket and the motor. I seem to recall that the baskets spins around 1200
RPM. Yeah, that fast.

I've located and identified the motor controller. I don't know if I can use
it yet. It appears to use 5VDC signal voltage. Hook up looks pretty
straight forward. But there does not appear to be a forward reverse input
in a form I am used to. There is a neat cover safety switch and ground
safety.

I'm going to see if the controller is a sourced part or an oem only part.
If it's a sourced part I might be able to get more information on it.

If you can get any numbers or logo off of the chip you could try posting in
either sci.electronics.design or sci.electronics.repair. Maybe someone
there could point to a data sheet or other info.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I pulled a couple part numbers off of it, and they all come up with the same
result. Whirlpool Washer Motor Control Board.

Looks like I'm going to have to try the smoke method to figure it out.
Power it up and see if all the magic smoke leaks out. LOL.

No loss if it does. I can still use the motor on a VFD with known pins and
configuration.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/28/2017 09:25 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've located and identified the motor controller.Â* I don't know if I can
use it yet.Â* It appears to use 5VDC signal voltage.Â* Hook up looks
pretty straight forward.Â* But there does not appear to be a forward
reverse input in a form I am used to.Â* There is a neat cover safety
switch and ground safety.

It's not impossible that the motor controller uses some digital
communications protocol like serial, I2C or something proprietary
between the main control board and the motor control.
My washer runs the drum forward, backward, and a variety of speeds. That
could be done via direction and speed, but also could be done with
digital commands.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 17:46:20 -0700, BobH
wrote:

On 08/28/2017 09:25 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've located and identified the motor controller.* I don't know if I can
use it yet.* It appears to use 5VDC signal voltage.* Hook up looks
pretty straight forward.* But there does not appear to be a forward
reverse input in a form I am used to.* There is a neat cover safety
switch and ground safety.

It's not impossible that the motor controller uses some digital
communications protocol like serial, I2C or something proprietary
between the main control board and the motor control.
My washer runs the drum forward, backward, and a variety of speeds. That
could be done via direction and speed, but also could be done with
digital commands.

BobH

RS-485 is quite common as well..though I dont see much need
here..unless it has a digital control unit.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news

Have you tried finding the repair manual? See if it has a schematic or
better yet circuit description?

Post the make and model number and I'll do some looking when I get a
minute or two.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

*************

Here is a picture of the motor controller:
http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_29..._11_52_22.jpeg

I tried running the part numbers down on-line, but all that comes up is
"Whirlpool Motor Controller."

Of the wires shown I have most figured out except for signal control. Form
left to right across the bottom.

Pink Pink = Neutral & Line 110/120V household voltage

Green Green = Cover safety switch and chassis ground. Also motor ground.

5x Black = UVW (motor) TT (motor tach)

3x Blue = 5V Data Gnd - Data also looks like its labeled MS3.

I'd love to be able to use the motor with this controller to take advantage
of the tach feedback.

The motor:
http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_29..._11_53_07.jpeg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 12:13:12 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news

Have you tried finding the repair manual? See if it has a schematic or
better yet circuit description?

Post the make and model number and I'll do some looking when I get a
minute or two.

Try downloading this manual, looks to be close to what you've got:

https://elektrotanya.com/whirlpool_d.../download.html

Nothing detailed on the controller but might be helpful to look at

If you can't get that to work give me a good email address and I'll
send it. It's only ~1.5mb.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Got it. No problem there. Yeah, not much help. I still don't know for
sure what the data format is. One picture says serial data connector.
Pretty much every diagram I've found shows 5V in/out GND for the three
wires. Pretty much as much as I learned looking at the board itself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As near as I can tell its a half duplex RS232 interface. Now as to what to
send to it, and how, or what its likely to send back...