Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Washing Machine Motors - What a Difference From Mom's Old Washing Machine

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news
On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 16:09:44 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
It says 195V 310hz 17500 RPM.

Isn't about 195V volts about what a 110-220 VFD puts out? Did I just find
high speed 3 phase spindle motor for a future project?

I was curious about those numbers/values so just did a simple search:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=washi...7500+RPM&kd=-1

There was a lot of info on DIY stuff for those motors. Some youtube
videos too. Not sure if its detailed enough for what you want but worth
a look...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

**********************

Hi Leon,

Thanks. I had not gotten that far. So far I've just figured out what I can
by observation. I've identified the motor controller. It is labeled with a
5VDC input. I don't know if that is just a single activation input or if it
works as a speed control. Given that it turns slow for washing, and very
fast for the spin cycle it almost has to be a variable speed control input.

I thought this thing was reversible, but there does not appear to be an
easily identifiable forward reverse input. I suppose it could just turn in
one direction. It would still be ok for many applications. Of course I
could use a different VFD to control the motor, but it would be cool to be
able to repurpose this one. Its not likely I would need use a high speed
motor for a reversible application, but all my high speed spindles are
reversible even though I never use them that way.

My next step is to see if its a sourced part or an OEM only part. If its
a sourced part I might be able to get more information on it.

Bob