Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT "awesome defined, the 10+ liter radial engined goggomobil"

just happened to come across this...
(there is a video with some metalworking...)

http://jalopnik.com/5302246/awesome-...ned-goggomobil

(damn funny comments also, below the article.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
just happened to come across this...
(there is a video with some metalworking...)

http://jalopnik.com/5302246/awesome-...ned-goggomobil

(damn funny comments also, below the article.)

Uh, yeah, "epic", awesome, etc. sure apply to
this! Too bad the guy is now deaf, with his head
about 4" from the cylinders in that thing!

What IS that car, by the way? Some East European
thing, for sure.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Wow. Just wow. Awesome; any idea what kind of car he started out
with? Maybe Russian?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the article says it's a german "goggomobil".

babe magnet...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...0&oq=goggom o

http://www.stoehr24.de/wp-content/my...ggomobil01.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggomobil

b.w.

"steamer" wrote in message
--Wow. Just wow. Awesome; any idea what kind of car he started out
with? Maybe Russian?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

just happened to come across this...
(there is a video with some metalworking...)

Helo with a .45 and a micro car with a radial. Okay, start the voting on which one is the
most nuts.

I'm declaring I can't decide so mark me present.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
the article says it's a german "goggomobil".

I had an Australian built Goggomobil Dart, sadly sold it just 2 months
before a popular TV ad rocketed them to stardom. At least that was fast,
if the car wasn't.
Made by Hans Glas in W. Germany, who maybe should be more famous, or
perhaps infamous, for being the first to use a toothed timing belt drive
to a camshaft in a car in 1963, in their Glas 1600 Coupe. Glas were
eventually bought out by BMW.
Some Goggos had a Getrag solenoid-operated gearbox, via a tiny joystick
gear selector on the dashboard - amazing for such a basic car.
The Darts were often 400cc, not just 300cc as sometimes reported. The
engine/transaxle was extremely similar to some motorcycle engines that
later came from Japan, especially Suzuki - minus the differential of
course. All Goggos were 4 seaters, unusual in the bubblecar world.
The sedan as featured in the aero engine article, when fitted with the
250cc engine, reportedly can be driven in Germany without any licence
required, so they are still to be seen.

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

i was hoping in the video the guy was going to get on it and smoke the
tires, wheelie? but no. it was kinda cool when he had short small flames
shooting out the exhaust, was hoping for long sustained flames though.
what did someone say, he probably woulda flipped the car over if he got
on it (gyro forces).

I also wanted to see some tires being smoked. I did notice a bit of body rock when he
gave it a bit of extra throttle.

I don't normally watch vids but I had to see how it ended.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"William Wixon" wrote:

i was hoping in the video the guy was going to get on it and smoke the
tires, wheelie? but no. it was kinda cool when he had short small flames
shooting out the exhaust, was hoping for long sustained flames though.
what did someone say, he probably woulda flipped the car over if he
got
on it (gyro forces).

I also wanted to see some tires being smoked. I did notice a bit of body
rock when he
gave it a bit of extra throttle.

I don't normally watch vids but I had to see how it ended.

Wes

No fan on the front of the engine like a radial in a helicopter. No
cooling. Engine will fry in a short time. Just a show thing, I guess.

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

i was hoping in the video the guy was going to get on it and smoke the
tires, wheelie? but no. it was kinda cool when he had short small flames
shooting out the exhaust, was hoping for long sustained flames though.
what did someone say, he probably woulda flipped the car over if he got
on it (gyro forces).

If he retained any part of the original drive
train, especially the transaxle, there was no way
to smoke the tires. I noticed a HUGE torque
converter in there, like from a bus, but no
gearbox, so I think his 2-speed transmission is an
open air gear train. That would probably have a
short life. Also, there was no cooling fan on the
radial. I suspect he couldn't run this thing for
more than a couple minutes before being baked
alive in that tin can.

Since there was no flywheel in it, he wouldn't
have flipped in the rolling direction. he was
brapping the engine right after starting it. it
ran really rough without the prop that is usually
handling the flywheel duty.

Jon