Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car cameras

Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are those as well. Dashcams.

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on the back so
when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Are they? I hadnt noticed. I suspect its down to observer bias. Easier to
see a rearward facing camera when your following or stopped in traffic than
a forward facing one when youre looking in your mirror or looking at
traffic approaching.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2019 16:14, Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Confused?
Do you mean cameras that allow you to see out the back, whilst
reversing or such, that allows you a 'better', clearer might be a better
word, to the rear than simply looking out the back window. Especially
trying to reverse into tight spots (though only an aid [1] really, you
should also keep an all round check on environs).

Looking forward is usually the way you perceive the world and with front
steer cars all is as expected. If you need evidential views to the
front of the car a dashcam can be fitted.

[1] I was taught that even with a reversing cam you should mainly look
out the back window and glance in the mirrors (this also lets you check
any front end swing) and only use the rear view as an AID to ensure you
fit (I had a habit of staring at the rear view screen, soon gotten out
of me ).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are those as well. Dashcams.

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on the back so
when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.
Brian

The one gadget I have always wanted was a big laser canon to vapourise
middle lane hogs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:25:37 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would
be better to have them pointing where you are going.

Are they? I hadnt noticed. I suspect its down to observer bias. Easier
to see a rearward facing camera when your following or stopped in
traffic than a forward facing one when youre looking in your mirror or
looking at traffic approaching.

The cameras on my car are mostly unobtrusive. One reversing one where the
boot handle used to be. One forward facing in the radiator grille. And
one built into the rear view mirror housing on the windscreen.

The only easily visible one is the dashcam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2019 16:14, Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Dashcams point forwards as do cameras used to recognise road signs and
perhaps those used to warn of lane discipline.

Rear facing cameras are used for (auto) reverse parking aids and/or to
give a greater view than an internal rear view mirror.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 19:30:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on

the
back so when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.

The one gadget I have always wanted was a big laser canon to vapourise
middle lane hogs.

B-)

And those who use the "magic indicator".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 19:30:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on

the
back so when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.

The one gadget I have always wanted was a big laser canon to vapourise
middle lane hogs.

B-)

And those who use the "magic indicator".

is that the invisible one?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 22:11:40 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 25/10/2019 16:14, Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would
be better to have them pointing where you are going.

Dashcams point forwards as do cameras used to recognise road signs and
perhaps those used to warn of lane discipline.

Many modern dashcams can have an auxiliary rear facing camera too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 19:30:38 +0100, newshound

There are those as well. Dashcams.

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on the back so
when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.
Brian

The one gadget I have always wanted was a big laser canon to vapourise
middle lane hogs.

I wonder what they are thinking when they sit in lane 2 (at 60 mph)
all the time when the rest of the motorway is empty (seriously)?

Is it I wonder that they are less likely to get taken off the motorway
by mistake, like they might if L1 turns off at a junction (and they
miss all the clues) or that they think it's just for lorries?

I've sat behind them (at a safe distance) and they have (sometimes)
eventually pulled into L1, I overtake and go back into L1 myself, only
to see them go back out into L2 (now moving slower than I am in L1)?

Dad was party to the nearest thing you could get to your laser canon,
but for tailgaters.

4 of them were driving back from a studio photo session down a winding
country road and whilst making good progress themselves, someone was
stuck on their tail for some reason. After a few miles of that, one of
the guys in the back put a Mecablitz studio flashgun on the parcel
shelf, facing backwards and switched it on. On a suitably safe
straight bit, he fired it and they watched the offending headlights
disappear backwards very fast, as might happen if someone had braked
fairly hard because they had temporarily lost their night vision. ;-)

It does make you want to sometimes eh ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

they point where you can not see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message

Why are they mostly rear pointing?

So you dont run over and kill your little kids.

I would have thought that it would be better to have them pointing where
you are going.

Nope, because you can see that better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

There are those as well. Dashcams.

But those dont help you to see where you are going.

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on the back
so when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.

Might not be legal.

"Broadback" wrote in message
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Are they?

Yep, particularly the ones that come standard with a new car.

I hadnt noticed. I suspect its down to observer bias.

Nope, trivial to see what comes with new cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
[...]

Whoever taught you was a fool. The main point of reversing
cameras is to avoid running over little kids who are too short
to be seen in the rear view mirror and can be run over and killed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 25/10/2019 16:14, Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Dashcams point forwards as do cameras used to recognise road signs and
perhaps those used to warn of lane discipline.

Rear facing cameras are used for (auto) reverse parking aids

The Golf even helps with backing a trailer.

and/or to give a greater view than an internal rear view mirror.

So you dont run over your little kids and kill them. Know someone who did
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 03:42, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

There are those as well. Dashcams.

But those dont help you to see where you are going.

That's why you have a windscreen, plus it would dangerous to rely solely
on a camera and small screen to drive, unless slow speed maneuvering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 October 2019 22:59:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
[...]

Must say, most people in my current neck of the woods leave a reasonable gap. Just the odd one gets too close and stays there. When they do, you can be pretty sure that they are also going to try to zoom past when they can. Last really bad one tried to do so and went into a hatched area for people turning right from the oncoming lane. Shame someone turned into it right in front of them. Screeching brakes, sudden dive in front of me with inches to spare. (I was doing spot on 60 so any overtaking was automatically speeding.)

We have seen so many "If you can read this, you are too close" signs (and many variants). Am a bit surprised I haven't yet seen automatic signs that light up on the back of the vehicle being tailgated. OK, so they might well be illegal, but that doesn't stop much else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 03:48, Jane Black wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
[...]

It was William McGregor of 'go green driving school' ask him why he
prefers people to use every device

The main point of reversing
cameras is to avoid running over little kids who are too short
to be seen in the rear view mirror and can be run over and killed.

....And if the car you buy isn't the same as your learner vehicle and
doesn't have a reversing camera [1], and you have 'done' all your
learning staring into a video monitor which shows you 'out the back'?

Note I am NOT saying the rear view camera should be avoided it does help
with seeing bollards, high kerbs, small children etc but it should not
be relied upon .

[1] Admittedly getting rarer (I think it was 2016 they were mandated
on all new cars). However the first (maybe first couple ) cars are
likely to be cheap jalopies and not have cameras fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 03:40, Jane Black wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message

Why are they mostly rear pointing?

So you dont run over and kill your little kids.

I would have thought that it would be better to have them pointing
where you are going.

Nope, because you can see that better.

Thanks for the replies. However very few addressed the question. Which
is the best camera, front or rear facing, also what make?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:42:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on the back
so when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.

Might not be legal.

Oh, shut your abnormal sociopathic gob finally, you senile pest!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:44:57 +1100, Jane Black, better known as cantankerous

Are they?

Yep, particularly

NOBODY asked you anything, senile pest!

I hadnt noticed. I suspect its down to observer bias.

Nope, trivial to

NOBODY asked you for your senile opinion, sociopath!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:48:58 +1100, Jane Black, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the senile sociopath's latest troll****

....and much better air in here, again!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 14:41:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So you dont run over your little kids and kill them. Know someone who did
that.

YOU don't know ANYONE (outside Usenet) senile sociopathic cretin!

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message

Why are they mostly rear pointing?

So you dont run over and kill your little kids.

I would have thought that it would be better to have them pointing where
you are going.

Nope, because you can see that better.

Thanks for the replies. However very few addressed the question. Which is
the best camera, front or rear facing,

Both.

also what make?

There never is a best with something like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:40:24 +1100, Jane Black, better known as cantankerous

Why are they mostly rear pointing?

So you dont run over and kill your little kids.

Or, what would be preferred, senile obnoxious cretins like you!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Dashcams

generally

point forwards Rear facing cameras are used for (auto) reverse parking aids and/or to
give a greater view than an internal rear view mirror.

Some dashcams also record the rear as well

https://halfords.com/technology/dash-cams?type=Front+and+Rear
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 09:39, Broadback wrote:

Nope, because you can see that better.

Thanks for the replies. However very few addressed the question. Which
is the best camera, front or rear facing, also what make?

You didn't ask those questions!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 10:06, alan_m wrote:
On 26/10/2019 09:39, Broadback wrote:

Nope, because you can see that better.

Thanks for the replies. However very few addressed the question. Which
is the best camera, front or rear facing, also what make?

You didn't ask those questions!

No I naked one of them! the others are supplemental

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 10:11, Broadback wrote:
On 26/10/2019 10:06, alan_m wrote:
On 26/10/2019 09:39, Broadback wrote:

Nope, because you can see that better.
Thanks for the replies. However very few addressed the question.
Which is the best camera, front or rear facing, also what make?

You didn't ask those questions!

No I naked one of them! the others are supplemental

sorry for finger rouble. that should read:
"No I asked one of them, the other 2 are supplemental"
Is that not allowed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 26/10/2019, Andy Burns supposed :
Some dashcams also record the rear as well

My dashcam includes a lower res. separate rear camera. Its a rather
like a slightly smaller than a 35mm film container.

In addition to which, I have a rear facing reversing camera, which
displays on the big ICE screen in the centre dash when reverse is
selected, plus reverse sensors. Rear window is high and a narrow slit,
obstructed by rear headrests - the only useful mirrors are the door
mirrors, so I felt the reversing camera was essential for safety.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message

Why are they mostly rear pointing?

So you dont run over and kill your little kids.

I would have thought that it would be better to have them pointing
where you are going.

Nope, because you can see that better.

Thanks for the replies. However very few addressed the question. Which
is the best camera, front or rear facing, also what make?

Best for what? If its for recording incidents its not really a question
of or but front or front + rear. I doubt many folk just have a rear
facing camera for recording incidents.

As to the best camera, I havent a clue as I dont have one. I have tried
a cheapie from eBay that claimed to be HD but it was rubbish. Check reviews
carefully rather than relying on claimed spec when buying.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 10:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 26/10/2019, Andy Burns supposed :
Some dashcams also record the rear as well

My dashcam includes a lower res. separate rear camera. Its a rather like
a slightly smaller than a 35mm film container.

In addition to which, I have a rear facing reversing camera, which
displays on the big ICE screen in the centre dash when reverse is
selected, plus reverse sensors. Rear window is high and a narrow slit,
obstructed by rear headrests - the only useful mirrors are the door
mirrors, so I felt the reversing camera was essential for safety.

They can also give an indication of where the car is going to go using
lines of various colours.
Only if its got inputs from the steering though, this is why
manufactures cameras cost more as they need a screen and other sensors
to do the full job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
I wonder what they are thinking when they sit in lane 2 (at 60 mph)
all the time when the rest of the motorway is empty (seriously)?

Is it I wonder that they are less likely to get taken off the motorway
by mistake, like they might if L1 turns off at a junction (and they
miss all the clues) or that they think it's just for lorries?

I think it's more that they want to go faster than lorries at 56 in Lane1,
and don't want to have to keep swapping between L1 and L2 every time they
meet a lorry, with the risk that they may get "trapped" in L1 by cars in L2
which won't keep enough gap from the car ahead of them to allow a vehicle to
join from L1.

I tend to drive at about 70 (I'd go at 80 if the law allowed it) and on a
motorway that has a lot of slower lorries, I mainly use L2, rarely going
into L1 except when there is a long gap to the next lorry. On a motorway
where L1 is generally going at 70, I stay in L1.

My general rule is: if traffic is going at within a couple of mph of what I
want to do, I stay put behind so as not to clog up the next lane, and if I
do move into the next lane, I aim to be doing at least 5 mph faster than the
traffic I'm overtaking. I try hard to avoid travelling at the same speed as
the vehicle my left.

I wonder whether speed limiters on lorries in the UK will tend to be
adjusted up to 60 mph (the UK limit for HGVs over 7.5 T) rather than 56 mph
/ 90 km/hr, after Brexit. No doubt foreign drivers from the EU will continue
to have their limiters at 56 but UK lorries that don't go abroad won't need
to comply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_s...United_Kingdom
(section "Speed Limiters") says that at present limiters are set at round
numbers of km/hr - so coaches are allowed to go at up to 70 mph on motorways
but are required to be speed-limited to 62 mph / 100 km/hr.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Are they? I hadnt noticed. I suspect its down to observer bias. Easier
see a rearward facing camera when your following or stopped in traffic
than
a forward facing one when youre looking in your mirror or looking at
traffic approaching.

My observation is that far more cars have front cameras that rear ones, and
the most cars that have rear ones also have front ones. But as you say
observer bias plays a big part.

We should get a rear camera - and a socket-doubler so it can be powered at
the same time as the coolbox which we tend to keep in the boot (though not
always turned on) in case we want to transport frozen or chilled shopping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/19 20:15, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:25:37 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

The cameras on my car are mostly unobtrusive. One reversing one where the
boot handle used to be. One forward facing in the radiator grille. And
one built into the rear view mirror housing on the windscreen.

How are they clean and free from mud, spray, etc?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:04:41 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 25/10/19 20:15, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:25:37 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

The cameras on my car are mostly unobtrusive. One reversing one where
the boot handle used to be. One forward facing in the radiator grille.
And one built into the rear view mirror housing on the windscreen.

How are they clean and free from mud, spray, etc?

Windscreen one is on the inside and the wipers clear that area.

The other two just seem to be OK. I probably have to clean each once
every few weeks. Not dirt, but excess water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are those as well. Dashcams.

I'd imagine it would be cool to have a black sludge dispenser on the back so
when a car is tailgating you you sludge their windscreen.
Brian

I know a fellow who might like one of those for his Aston Martin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 25/10/19 20:15, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:25:37 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

The cameras on my car are mostly unobtrusive. One reversing one where the
boot handle used to be. One forward facing in the radiator grille. And
one built into the rear view mirror housing on the windscreen.

How are they clean and free from mud, spray, etc?

The rear one on our Honda CR-V seems to get *very* dirty, *very* quickly. If
I need to reverse into a confined space where there is a central obstruction
(eg a bollard) that cannot be seen by either door mirror or the rear-view
mirror (the situation where a reversing camera is invaluable) then I often
have to get out before reversing to wipe the dirt off the lens, otherwise
all I see on the screen is a uniform featureless grey blur. They really
could have done with a small wiper (or even just a jet of water) that
operates with the rear wiper or washer.

I've learned not to trust parking sensors on their own, after both my wife
and I nudged bollards which hit the bumper right on the parking sensor - I
wonder whether the parking sensors on the CR-V can see either side but not
directly in front of the sensor.

My impression is that modern cars (Peugeot 308, Honda CR-V) seem to suffer a
lot more from dirt sticking to the rear end (rear window, tailgate, bumpers)
than happened with my older Peugeot 306s and VW Golfs (Mark 2 and Mark 3).

rear view vehicle cameras rear view vehicle cameras / [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 October 10th 15 01:00 AM
In Car Cameras Capitol UK diy 21 January 23rd 14 11:32 AM
Car reversing cameras John UK diy 16 October 14th 12 11:23 PM
Original 100% Cheap unlock Iphone 5, IPad, IPod, Digital CamerasNikon, Digital Cameras Sony, Digital Cameras Canon,, Kindle, SONY PS3, Xbox360, Wii etc Sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 June 12th 12 10:41 AM
supplier of CCTV cameras,baby monitor,car rearview cameras [email protected] UK diy 1 December 31st 08 02:36 AM