Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car cameras

NY wrote:

My impression is that modern cars (Peugeot 308, Honda CR-V) seem to suffer a
lot more from dirt sticking to the rear end (rear window, tailgate, bumpers)
than happened with my older Peugeot 306s and VW Golfs (Mark 2 and Mark 3).

Thats just down to how the car design is optimised for interior space. A
more vertical back windows attract a lot of dirt, gently sloping ones
barely any at all.

My Volvo 240 estate could never have been described as modern but had a
very dirty bottom. In comparison my Jaguar XF saloon kept its rear window
very clean.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/25/2019 8:14 AM, Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be better to have them pointing where you are going.

Do you live on Brokeback Mountain? Do you like anal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , lid
says...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_s...United_Kingdom
(section "Speed Limiters") says that at present limiters are set at round
numbers of km/hr - so coaches are allowed to go at up to 70 mph on motorways
but are required to be speed-limited to 62 mph / 100 km/hr.

The coaches I see on the motorway seem to do 70 with no
trouble, so presumably they are limited to 110km/hr (68.75
mph)

(I can't be asked to sit on the tail of one to check that it
really is traveling 1.25 mph below the speed limit.)

--

Terry

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 09:25:23 +0100, soup
wrote:

...And if the car you buy isn't the same as your learner vehicle and
doesn't have a reversing camera [1], and you have 'done' all your
learning staring into a video monitor which shows you 'out the back'?

[1] Admittedly getting rarer (I think it was 2016 they were mandated
on all new cars). However the first (maybe first couple ) cars are
likely to be cheap jalopies and not have cameras fitted.

Mandated?

No they are not, not even in 2019

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...And if the car you buy isn't the same as your learner vehicle and
doesn't have a reversing camera [1], and you have 'done' all your
learning staring into a video monitor which shows you 'out the back'?

[1] Admittedly getting rarer (I think it was 2016 they were mandated
on all new cars). However the first (maybe first couple ) cars are
likely to be cheap jalopies and not have cameras fitted.

Mandated?

No they are not, not even in 2019

Half remembered stuff, mea culpa.
They are mandatory in new cars in the US' 'they' are thinking of
introducing it (as law)in the UK.

Seems manufacturers have taken it upon themselves (ie they don't have
to redesign for other markets to fit reversing cams. Obs there will be
exceptions).

Whether law or not cars NOT fitted with rear view cams are getting
harder to get (not an onerous task I will admit). Not all cars you
get will be fitted with rear view cams.

Anecdote :=
I was gently chafing my eldest that my car was better than his as it
had X,X,X and a rear view camera, he said "I don't need one I have
eyes". then as if to make a point reversed into what must have been one
of the smallest parking spaces in the world only he didn't reverse far
enough his front tyres were a good four feet before the line marking
what should have been the front of the bay. As that restaurant was
packed we went to another where again he whipped it into a smallish
place however this time he was almost in the car in the bay behind him.
Cue more gentle chafing about making up for last time etc.

Both times he had to get back into the car (rather sheepishly) and
adjust his positioning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 08:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Am a bit surprised I haven't yet seen automatic signs that light up on the back of the vehicle being tailgated. OK, so they might well be illegal, but that doesn't stop much else.

I want one with radar, and "If I brake your estimated impact speed is..."

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 October 2019 21:12:24 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 26/10/2019 08:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Am a bit surprised I haven't yet seen automatic signs that light up on the back of the vehicle being tailgated. OK, so they might well be illegal, but that doesn't stop much else.

I want one with radar, and "If I brake your estimated impact speed is..."

Andy

Maybe add LEDs/lasers which "paint" a safe distance mark on the road, or their bonnet.

Do people who tailgate need less thinking time because they are so stupid? Or more?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2019 21:12, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 26/10/2019 08:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Am a bit surprised I haven't yet seen automatic signs that light up on
the back of the vehicle being tailgated. OK, so they might well be
illegal, but that doesn't stop much else.

I want one with radar, and "If I brake your estimated impact speed is..."

All that will happen is people will start playing games with you by
driving up close to the back of your car to see if they can get a higher
impact speed score being displayed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 10:37:36 PM UTC, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 28 October 2019 21:12:24 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 26/10/2019 08:37, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Am a bit surprised I haven't yet seen automatic signs that light up on the back of the vehicle being tailgated. OK, so they might well be illegal, but that doesn't stop much else.

I want one with radar, and "If I brake your estimated impact speed is..."

Andy

Maybe add LEDs/lasers which "paint" a safe distance mark on the road, or their bonnet.

Do people who tailgate need less thinking time because they are so stupid? Or more?

If I get tailgated on a country road I just back off the accelerator and let the speed decay. On numerous occasions I've had these dickheads come to a complete stop behind me despite having plenty of opportunity to pass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 22:43:31 +0100, charles wrote:

The one gadget I have always wanted was a big laser canon to

vapourise
middle lane hogs.

And those who use the "magic indicator".

is that the invisible one?

No the one used to enable you to join safely from a slip road at
doing less than 50 mph 10' in front of someting doing 60+.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2019 21:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 22:43:31 +0100, charles wrote:

The one gadget I have always wanted was a big laser canon to

vapourise
middle lane hogs.

And those who use the "magic indicator".

is that the invisible one?

No the one used to enable you to join safely from a slip road at
doing less than 50 mph 10' in front of someting doing 60+.

I blame the Human Rights Act. Generations of drivers now seem to think
Mirror/Signal/Manoeuvre means:

check it's still attached
turn on the indicator
manoeuvre - it's your right!

--
Robin

rear view vehicle cameras rear view vehicle cameras / [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 October 10th 15 01:00 AM
In Car Cameras Capitol UK diy 21 January 23rd 14 11:32 AM
Car reversing cameras John UK diy 16 October 14th 12 11:23 PM
Original 100% Cheap unlock Iphone 5, IPad, IPod, Digital CamerasNikon, Digital Cameras Sony, Digital Cameras Canon,, Kindle, SONY PS3, Xbox360, Wii etc Sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 June 12th 12 10:41 AM
supplier of CCTV cameras,baby monitor,car rearview cameras [email protected] UK diy 1 December 31st 08 02:36 AM