Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup[_9_] soup[_9_] is offline

Default Car cameras

On 25/10/2019 16:14, Broadback wrote:
Why are they mostly rear pointing? I would have thought that it would be
better to have them pointing where you are going.

Confused?
Do you mean cameras that allow you to see out the back, whilst
reversing or such, that allows you a 'better', clearer might be a better
word, to the rear than simply looking out the back window. Especially
trying to reverse into tight spots (though only an aid [1] really, you
should also keep an all round check on environs).

Looking forward is usually the way you perceive the world and with front
steer cars all is as expected. If you need evidential views to the
front of the car a dashcam can be fitted.

[1] I was taught that even with a reversing cam you should mainly look
out the back window and glance in the mirrors (this also lets you check
any front end swing) and only use the rear view as an AID to ensure you
fit (I had a habit of staring at the rear view screen, soon gotten out
of me ).