Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd camera on lampost - pointing almost vertically downwards

In a village near me there is a lamp-post in a 30 mph zone which has a
rectangular metal "tube" about 1 foot long by 6" square which is pointing
straight down at the road surface by the post. There is also another device
alongside, again pointing at the road. There are no road markings like you
get with speed cameras. I presume the larger device is a camera and the
smaller one is a light. The cameras are angled so steeply that they could
not see the number-plate of a car. There is also a box on the lamp-post
which may be some form of control module.

https://i.postimg.cc/h49P8qLF/vlcsna...s127-small.png

Ignore the curvature of the lamp-post: it's distortion from the lens in my
dashcam: I had to wait until I was close to the lamp-post to get the largest
image, and that's when it's on the edge of the frame where distortion is
greatest.

Any ideas? I'm intrigued.

https://goo.gl/maps/XEDuoNmvGrNLjWTE6 is the location in Google Streetview
(the tree by the lamp-post was a bit smaller and was in full leaf in
September 2011).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

My guess would be a CCTV system that is not yet in use.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 16:39, nightjar wrote:
On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

My guess is it might be a traffic census or possibly monitoring the
surface conditions.

Of course it could be a camera someone has climbed up the pole and
shifted so the ANPR doesn't keep catching them, but they are usually
somewhat smaller and in ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:27:23 +0100, NY wrote:

In a village near me there is a lamp-post in a 30 mph zone which has a
rectangular metal "tube" about 1 foot long by 6" square which is
pointing straight down at the road surface by the post. There is also
another device alongside, again pointing at the road.

Curious, my guess would a county council road surface monitor
(temperature, wet/ice/snow) or a traffic monitor, with vehical size
and speed. The old rubber tube over the road things really only count
axles

Any clues given by the label on the "control" box?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

Why two separate devices tho ? Surely yours don’t normally
have two and given they are different size, not very likely
to be one for each direction when in use unless they just
happen to have changed models and somewhere has to
have a mismatched pair. And why point them at the ground
instead of just disabling them in the control unit ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:27:23 +0100, NY wrote:

In a village near me there is a lamp-post in a 30 mph zone which has a
rectangular metal "tube" about 1 foot long by 6" square which is
pointing straight down at the road surface by the post. There is also
another device alongside, again pointing at the road.

Curious, my guess would a county council road surface monitor
(temperature, wet/ice/snow) or a traffic monitor, with vehical size
and speed. The old rubber tube over the road things really only count
axles

Any clues given by the label on the "control" box?

When I next go past I'll try to drive slowly (without looking as if I'm
Burglar Bill casing the joint!) and see what the wording says. I noticed it
and hoped my dashcam would pick it up legibly, but no hope!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 18:47, Rod Speed wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

The industrial estate where I used to have my factories had five
different cameras covering the entrance area - one B&W night camera and
one colour day camera facing in each direction plus a high definition
camera taking numberplates of vehicles entering (ANPR was not then
usual). They were not all of the same design.

And why point them at the ground
instead of just disabling them in the control unit ?

I assume that they are motorised and simply droop when not powered.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 04:47:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why two separate devices tho ? Surely yours don¢t normally
have two and given they are different size, not very likely
to be one for each direction when in use unless they just
happen to have changed models and somewhere has to
have a mismatched pair. And why point them at the ground
instead of just disabling them in the control unit ?

I'm sure YOU will find out! Let us know ALL the answers you will find,
senile Mr. Know-it-all! BG

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/10/2019 19:29, NY wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:27:23 +0100, NY wrote:

In a village near me there is a lamp-post in a 30 mph zone which has a
rectangular metal "tube" about 1 foot long by 6" square which is
pointing straight down at the road surface by the post. There is also
another device alongside, again pointing at the road.

Curious, my guess would a county council road surface monitor
(temperature, wet/ice/snow) or a traffic monitor, with vehical size
and speed. The old rubber tube over the road things really only count
axles

Any clues given by the label on the "control" box?

When I next go past I'll try to drive slowly (without looking as if I'm
Burglar Bill casing the joint!) and see what the wording says. I noticed
it and hoped my dashcam would pick it up legibly, but no hope!

Just stop the car, get out and take close up photos.

It's still a free country.

Wear a hi viz and anyone watching you will just assume you are meant to
be there.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Obviously cannot see the pics, but there are something like that about for
pollution monitoring.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 24/10/2019 19:29, NY wrote:
[...]

You forgot the hard hat and the clipboard! I once walked into a Army Camp
with this stuff, straight past the soldier with a gun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Maybe it just counts vehicles?

I did wonder that but it looked over-engineered for vehicle counting or
pollution monitoring. The larger of the two looks just like a big CCTV
security camera, complete with the shroud that protrudes more at the top of
the lens (to act as a sun shield) than at the bottom.

I'll have to try the bold-as-brass technique of stopping while wearing my
hi-vis cycling vest and looking at the camera. I could even cycle there if I
knew I wasn't going to get saturated with all the rain we've had lately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

Dunno, all the motorised ones that I have looked at stay where the
last where when not powered. In other words the motor moves them
it doesn’t have to be powered to stay in a position. Stepper motor etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 20:57, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 24/10/2019 19:29, NY wrote:
[...]

Also look at the thing you're photographing, shake your head, and tut
audibly. Then scribble on your clip-board and stalk off.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 08:06:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Dunno,

You don't know! PERIOD, bigmouth!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

Ours do that with two tubes nailed to the road
going to a box which is chained and padlocked
to a tree or sign post poll. Much easier to move
around done like that.

or possibly monitoring the surface conditions.

Sounds very unlikely to me.

Of course it could be a camera someone has climbed up the pole and shifted
so the ANPR doesn't keep catching them, but they are usually somewhat
smaller and in ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Obviously cannot see the pics, but there are something like that about for
pollution monitoring.

Those point at the ground quite close to the bottom of
the light pole, so it wouldn’t be for pollution monitoring.

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Maybe it just counts vehicles?

No need for two of them pointing the same way for that.

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/10/2019 16:27, NY wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 October 2019 16:27:22 UTC+1, NY wrote:
[...]

Maybe they are cameras and left pointing down to keep rain/snow/dirt off the lenses when not in use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 14:39:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Ours do

FLUSH troll****

Yours don't count, senile Ozzie pest! This is a UK ng!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:58:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Maybe it just counts vehicles?

No

LOL You totally ****ed up, auto-contradicting, senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:56:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Those point at the ground quite close to the bottom of
the light pole, so it wouldn¢t be for pollution monitoring.

....and more of the senile asshole's pathological auto-contradicting! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where we lived before we noticed a temporary camera was often attached to a lamp post in an area of shops and a pub where yoofs used to gather. It however was a dome camera with a PTZ arrangement which on occasion you could see swivel. I think the local authority put it up when it got complaints about the yoofs behaviour and removed it once any bother moved on.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 October 2019 20:58:43 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 24/10/2019 19:29, NY wrote:
[...]

Are you sure it was a gun in his pocket or was he just pleased to see you ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 October 2019 06:05:54 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

Obviously cannot see the pics, but there are something like that about for
pollution monitoring.

Those point at the ground quite close to the bottom of
the light pole, so it wouldnt be for pollution monitoring.

we have a pollution measuring setup outside our building.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a958r01nvq..._1301.jpg?dl=0

for brian :- it looks a bit like a large bird cage with a couple of containers in it that are fluttered if that's the right word on a metal box, and it makes a humming noise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 22:06, Rod Speed wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/10/2019 18:47, Rod Speed wrote:

And why point them at the ground
instead of just disabling them in the control unit ?

I assume that they are motorised and simply droop when not powered.

Dunno, all the motorised ones that I have looked at stay where the
last where when not powered. In other words the motor moves them
it doesn’t have to be powered to stay in a position. Stepper motor etc.

If they are not in use yet, it could be something as simple as that is
the orientation they had when taken out of the box.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 22:55:39 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Maybe they are cameras and left pointing down to keep rain/snow/dirt off
the lenses when not in use.

Don't see any sign of a remote pan/tilt head.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/10/2019 18:47, Rod Speed wrote:

And why point them at the ground
instead of just disabling them in the control unit ?

I assume that they are motorised and simply droop when not powered.

Dunno, all the motorised ones that I have looked at stay where the
last where when not powered. In other words the motor moves them
it doesn’t have to be powered to stay in a position. Stepper motor etc.

If they are not in use yet, it could be something as simple as that is the
orientation they had when taken out of the box.

Surely someone would have checked that they do track
when told to, tho I spose some ultra anal 'person' like
Dense could have parked them tidily after doing that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 05:30:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Surely someone would have checked that they do track
when told to, tho I spose some ultra anal 'person' like
Dense could have parked them tidily after doing that.

People ALWAYS forget to ask YOU first, if they got a question about
something, eh, senile Rodent? You ALWAYS have ALL the answer! What a
ridiculous senile asshole! LOL

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
On 24/10/2019 19:29, NY wrote:
[...]

They tend to be rifles not hand guns these days.

Big pockets or well endowed?

And yes the apprentice did ask me when we went into Marne Barracks "Are
they real guns?"

FFS.

--
Adam