Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd camera on lampost - pointing almost vertically downwards

In a village near me there is a lamp-post in a 30 mph zone which has a
rectangular metal "tube" about 1 foot long by 6" square which is pointing
straight down at the road surface by the post. There is also another device
alongside, again pointing at the road. There are no road markings like you
get with speed cameras. I presume the larger device is a camera and the
smaller one is a light. The cameras are angled so steeply that they could
not see the number-plate of a car. There is also a box on the lamp-post
which may be some form of control module.

https://i.postimg.cc/h49P8qLF/vlcsna...s127-small.png

Ignore the curvature of the lamp-post: it's distortion from the lens in my
dashcam: I had to wait until I was close to the lamp-post to get the largest
image, and that's when it's on the edge of the frame where distortion is
greatest.

Any ideas? I'm intrigued.

https://goo.gl/maps/XEDuoNmvGrNLjWTE6 is the location in Google Streetview
(the tree by the lamp-post was a bit smaller and was in full leaf in
September 2011).