No

Default Almost Gloat and almost free wood for somone

OK, I'm kicking myself now. qty of 3 piles of KD 8/4 Black Walnut heart
wood 400 board feet each pile, and one 200 board foot pile. Suposedly
was stored dry for 8 years. (It was in the rain at an auction though).
Auctioneer started with the 3, 400 bf, piles first. Winning bidder had
choice, 1, 2 or 3 piles at the winning bid price. The guy won the bid
at $160 and, of course, took all 3 piles. The smaller pile went for
$165. I dropped out of bidding at about $140. My problem was 1, I did
not need that much wood for my next project, and 2, I do not have a
bandsaw or planner or decent jointer.

What I was thinking - If I won I was going to offer to give FREE half
or more of the wood to somone here on the wrec in exchange for some
resawing and planning work. I'm in SE PA. Would there have been any
takers? If there would have been I am really going to kick myself
again.

-B

Edwin Pawlowski

"No" wrote in message

What I was thinking - If I won I was going to offer to give FREE half
or more of the wood to somone here on the wrec in exchange for some
resawing and planning work. I'm in SE PA. Would there have been any
takers? If there would have been I am really going to kick myself
again.

I'm not near you, but if I was, I'd go for it. Good deal for everyone.

tom

Well, you almost suck. I could see that deal working out easily. Tom

Rob V

Just an fyi - what I do in that situation - espically when its large lots
like that.

If I get one and I know I can only use 1/2 of it - find the others that were
bidding on it and ask if they want x amount for x dollars. Most people dont
need that much either and will split it w/ you.

"No" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No

Yea, i was thinking that too. Things were fast and furious. I was
figuring the first winning bidder was thinking the same thing or would
only want one lot and that the second or third would be cheaper but
that rascal took all three! He was an Amish furniture maker. He knew
exactly what he was buying and didn't jump into the bidding untill the
end! His poor horse and buggy though!

Toller

I was at an auction where 500bf of oak went for $250. I talked to the new
owner; he told me to take as much as I wanted for the same price he paid for
it. It was more than he had any use for it, and was glad to have less to
move.

Even better, I was at an auction where a huge pile of corian went for almost
nothing. The buyer told me to take want I wanted for free. I took all I
could carry in a few trips, and then sadly let it go.

Next time, try it.

D Steck

How do you find out about these auctions?

Buster

Driving home today I saw a sign on the sde of teh road that said 'Hardwood
Auction' with a phone number? Is that what I should look for?

"D Steck" wrote in message
How do you find out about these auctions?

No

This particular auction is held monthly. Hardwood is hit or miss. In
addition to the Black Walnut they has some Oak. The vast majority of
stuff at this particular is surplus building supplies. Things like
construction lumber, plywood, windows, doors, cabinets, hardware,
roofing, hardscaping, plumbing, electrical, trim, trusses, truss
joists, junk, trash and firewood (I added the last three as some of
the stuff people buy falls into those categories).

Some of my past gloats at this particular auction.
Maple wall cabinet for shop - $1
Solid Cherry 4' wall cabinet for laundry room - $10
Solid wood exterior door with 9, true divided lites - $65
Prehung metal Stanley exterior door - $85 not a gloat
Two pallet loads of concrete block - $5
1 pallet of "adhesives" included wood glue, dap glazing, construction
adhesive, Wood Dough and other things. All multiple full cases. $15 I
then sold off individual cases in the auction parking lot and made $40.
So, I got more than I wanted AND pocketed $25
Some stuff goes for more than its worth IMO. 2x4x92 1/2 for $3+ is
crazy at an auction if you ask me.

What is an interesting dynamic at this auction is the Amish. They will
not shop at the borg. Sometimes they drive the price up on stuff.

Anyway - The next auction is second Thursday in November. If anyone
from the wrec is going let me know and I'll buy you a cup of coffee if
I'm there. if your building a house bring your plans. If you bring a
friend or two, bring cell phones or 2 way radios. They have a bunch of
auctioneers going at once and sometimes you need to be at 2 places at
once. Arrive early so you can scope things out. Bring a truck and
trailer if you have one.

Here is the link. http://www.wolgemuth-auction.com/Lumber.htm
http://www.wolgemuth-auction.com/

No

I live in Phoenixville - The auction is very near you, in Leola near
Epherta. See my other post with more info on the auction.

Gary in Virginia

"No" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Let me see if I can trump your gloat. I too went to an auction Saturday in
Sumerset Virginia where they sold several thousand bf or 4/4 cherry and 6/4
walnut, all cut in 1998. I bought 468 bf of the cherry in two lots for a
total cost of $240. I wish I had bought more. The lumber was run of the
mill, not necessary top grade, but at least 75% clear. I'm very happy :-)

Gary

mac davis

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:59:21 GMT, "Gary in Virginia"
wrote:

"No" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

you suck, Gary...

If you send me a bit of that cherry, I'll repost the suck part in all caps,
though... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing