Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doing away with ceiling lights?

I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have in our open plan lounge/diner, although we've gone with floorstanding lights plugged into round-pin outlets wired to the wall switch. However, the renovation work this is being done as part of is still underway and so we are not in a position to say whether it was a good idea or not! The driver for us was flexibility in room layout that fixed ceiling lights might hamper, and also the potential for much nicer atmospheric lighting than could be achieved from something hanging from the ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem you have is that unless you wire whatever lighting you intend to use to a wall switch then you will sooner or later find yourself blundering round a dark room. I removed the ceiling light in my very first house installed a number of 2A round pin sockets around the room for table lamps all wired back to the wall switch.

Although we still have ceiling lights but only rarely use them instead technology has moved on and we now use Alexa to turn on table lamps which otherwise come at programmed times.

Some places it is not practical not to have ceiling lights such as hallways and stairs.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S writes
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has
anyone done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall
lights?

We haven't done away with ceiling lights, although very, very rarely use
them in living and bedrooms. We just have table lamps scattered around,
and are happy with them. We do use ceiling lights in bathrooms, but not
kitchen, preferring under cupboard lights and, when necessary, lights in
the cooker hood and a suspended light directly over the breakfast table.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 October 2019 16:50:21 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

A previous lounge/diner just had wall lights.

The middle of the room tended to be a bit gloomy unless one had uncomfortably bright wall lights.

If the ceilings are high enough you can have wall lights high enough and bright enough to bounce off the ceiling without causing horizontal dazzle.

Track, or 12volt bare wire systems, are alternatives to digging out the ceiling.

I now have 4 wall lights (and 4 table lamp points) in the lounge for TV watching, and 2 pendants for general illumination. The former single central pendant has been replaced by a smoke detector.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my bedroom I use a remote control to operate table lamps and a tall lamp. Much more atmospheric. The ceiling light is still there but I only use it when I need to flood the room with light.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme used his keyboard to write :
We haven't done away with ceiling lights, although very, very rarely use them
in living and bedrooms. We just have table lamps scattered around, and are
happy with them. We do use ceiling lights in bathrooms, but not kitchen,
preferring under cupboard lights and, when necessary, lights in the cooker
hood and a suspended light directly over the breakfast table.

Very much the same here, except we do use overhead lighting in the
kitchen. Every room has ceiling lights, but in the living room and
bedrooms they are rarely used - nice have where a more general spread
of light is needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 16:50, R D S wrote:
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Not done away with them, but we rarely turn on the ceiling lights in the
living room. With the cooler running of CFLs, we upgraded our wall
lights from a pair of 40W candle bulbs to a pair of 100W equivalent CFLs
in each. We often use only the one light.

I have seen some houses with low ceilings that just use uplighters on
the walls.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 16:50, R D S wrote:
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Don't use ceiling lights except when cleaning or when first entering the
room before turning on other lamps.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Yeah, I dont currently have any ceiling lights at all at the moment,
mainly because the Hue system doesnt currently have any led panels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:39:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, I don˘t currently have any ceiling lights at all at the moment,
mainly because the Hue system doesn˘t currently have any led panels.

If someone wanted to hear an asshole, they'd have farted, senile asshole!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message

The problem you have is that unless you wire whatever
lighting you intend to use to a wall switch then you will
sooner or later find yourself blundering round a dark room.

Not if you use the Hue system and movement sensors.
And you can have wire free switches with that system too.

I removed the ceiling light in my very first house installed
a number of 2A round pin sockets around the room for
table lamps all wired back to the wall switch.

Much easier now with the Hue system.

Although we still have ceiling lights but only
rarely use them instead technology has moved
on and we now use Alexa to turn on table lamps
which otherwise come at programmed times.

I use movement sensors instead, completely automatic.

Some places it is not practical not to have
ceiling lights such as hallways and stairs.

Thats not right either, wall lights work fine there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:47:41 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

Not if you use the Hue

Shove your Hue up your senile arse, senile arsehole!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But surely wiring up wall lights is just as bad as wiring up ceiling lights
since it means chasing cable trucking into the wall, or using unsightly
surface stuff.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 16/10/2019 16:50, R D S wrote:
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Don't use ceiling lights except when cleaning or when first entering the
room before turning on other lamps.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
But surely wiring up wall lights is just as bad as wiring up ceiling
lights since it means chasing cable trucking into the wall, or using
unsightly surface stuff.

Not when you plug them into GPOs

On 16/10/2019 16:50, R D S wrote:
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Don't use ceiling lights except when cleaning or when first entering the
room before turning on other lamps.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 08:49:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Not

LOL Clinically insane asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:50:18 +0100, R D S wrote:

I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Our lounge had no ceiling lights in it when we moved in. Instead theres
an 8' fluorescent tubes along the tops of the windows which are on two
sides of the room (so 2 tubes in all).

I lived in a flat like that,

it was a crap way to light a room

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2019 18:04, tim... wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:50:18 +0100, R D S wrote:

I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

Our lounge had no ceiling lights in it when we moved in. Instead theres
an 8' fluorescent tubes along the tops of the windows which are on two
sides of the room (so 2 tubes in all).

I lived in a flat like that,

it was a crap way to light a room

I have just wall lights in all the bedrooms and living areas. Not te
kichens toilets or corridoors or other working areas - these have
downlighters.

It works but standard lamps are handy for e.g. reading.

tim

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has anyone
done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall lights?

I prefer to have just wall lights (I currently have just up-lighting
standing lamps in the corners of the room)

But I usually keep the centre light as I'm sure that the next person in the
house will want it

So what did you want to know?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2019 18:06, tim... wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message
I can't be arsed with the wiring up of them, so just wondered has
anyone done away with ceiling lights altogether in favour of just wall
lights?

I prefer to have just wall lights (I currently have just up-lighting
standing lamps in the corners of the room)

But I usually keep the centre light as I'm sure that the next person in
the house will want it

So what did you want to know?

The question you and others answered, thanks.

Upstairs (2 floors) at work needs a rewire, not sure I can be arsed
wiring anything into the ceilings.