Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Red face over fitted wardrobe shelves.

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 11:34:28 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
The idea was to take out the shelf with the box file on, and put the
box file on the next lower shelf. Access and opening space.
Don't think it's happening

The obvious answer is to cut out the centre part of the two lower shelves, insert two new verticals, and a new shelf halfway, to make two central cubbyholes for taller items including the box file.

Bonus points if you can find some pretty baskets or plastic tubs to fit the other cubbyholes (allow clearance for door width).

The upper half then remains unobstructed for jackets etc.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...almarackwr.png

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 14:37:54 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
At Last, someone who makes the solution seem easy.

The easy solution is put the document box elsewhere, or buy a slightly shorter one that fits in the shelves.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2019 11:06, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 10:57:41 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 29/09/2019 10:40, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 02:15:49 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

metal cam locks and dowels? you should be able to pull the lock down and
out once you have the arrow pointing to the outside edge

You still will not be able to shift the shelf if they are cam locks as the pins will still protrude into the shelf edge. If your lucky and can splay the wardrobe sides apart then you might get the shelf out. Otherwise without taking the wardrobe apart you will not take the shelf out or be able to reposition it the same way. A word of caution the fact the shelf is secured by cam locks suggests it is a structural feature as most shelves would only be supported by shelf bearers making them easy to reposition you may even find the wardrobe back is secured to the shelf.

A photo of the securing devices should confirm what are likely to be cam locks.

Richard

Not much chance of splaying the walls in this construction.

Here's an image of the screw, looking innocent and co-operative.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJYqbWxq/Screw.jpg

That's definitely a cam lock.

The arrow/longer slot of the screw head points to the open position
IIRC. Turn one with the arrow pointing to the side wall, and you should
be able to prise it out pretty easily, exposing the metal pin it locks
onto.

Then put it back and tighten all the others. That shelf is part of the
structure of the wardrobe and cannot be moved.

Totally convincing! I'll make my missus some stilts instead.

buy her a pair of (thick) platform slippers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2019 11:34, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 11:19:12 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 29/09/2019 11:15, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Or take the wardrobe out of the alcove, dismantle it very, very
carefully, and reassemble it the way you want it.

Can't you just allocate your wife a different shelf?

By Golly! I think you might be onto something there.

Maybe a photo of the whole wardrobe, if you want practical suggestions?

The whole shebang.

https://postimg.cc/8Fzx7tsQ

The shelf.

https://postimg.cc/mcpJCCFc

The idea was to take out the shelf with the box file on, and put the
box file on the next lower shelf. Access and opening space.
Don't think it's happening

thought she was too short to reach shelf.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:37:52 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 13:36:22 +0100, ss wrote:

On 29/09/2019 10:53, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 02:44:33 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Proceed with caution Mike shelves secured with cam locks are done so for a purpose. Wardrobes and shelving units sold by the doyen of self assembly furniture IKEA, often have at least one fixed shelf the purpose of which is structural to prevent the tall sides from splaying out. It might not be apparent when the unit is empty but will certainly become evident when it is loaded!

Richard
Tricky,
My wardrobe is turning out to be a minefield!

..........Or put in an additional shelf at the required height.
Just sell her the idea you are giving her additional shelf space.

At Last, someone who makes the solution seem easy.

As I've never heard of these nuts, I did some googling and found this
video showing how to install one in an Ikea kit. It shows one camnut
between two wooden dowels, so that the shelf is fixed at three points
along its edge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6X-_q2vo0

I'm wondering if the nut can be rotated and then prised out of the
hole, exposing the head of the pin that is screwed into the wardrobe
wall. Then perhaps this head could be rotated bit by bit with a small
pair of pliers to unscrew it from the wall. If so, the shelf would
still be supported by two wooden dowels, but these could be sawn
through with a thin-bladed saw in the crack between the shelf and the
wall?

The crack might be widened by forcing a screwdriver into it to make
room for the saw.

Come to that, a thin-bladed saw could cut through the metal camnut
even if it wasn't unscrewable.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/09/2019 11:15, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Or take the wardrobe out of the alcove, dismantle it very, very
carefully, and reassemble it the way you want it.

Can't you just allocate your wife a different shelf?

By Golly! I think you might be onto something there.

Maybe a photo of the whole wardrobe, if you want practical suggestions?

The whole shebang.

https://postimg.cc/8Fzx7tsQ

The shelf.

https://postimg.cc/mcpJCCFc

The idea was to take out the shelf with the box file on, and put the
box file on the next lower shelf. Access and opening space.
Don't think it's happening

thought she was too short to reach shelf.

not to short to reach it, just too short to open the lid and peer
downward on the contents.
That's what being a Pixie gets ya.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit dubious about that solution.
She might get ideas above her station.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

These are very convincing solutions and I appreciate the advice. It's
simply that I just wanted to undo 6 screws and relocate the shelf.

Inconsolable, until I get distracted by the next LITTLE job on the
list.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 18:44:27 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
not to short to reach it, just too short to open the lid and peer
downward on the contents.

In that case, fit the new midway shelf as suggested, but put it on pull-out runners :-)

That way it won't need any empty space above it for the lid to open either.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 18:41:39 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Owain, you're a multi-craft phenomenon.

I am.

I have even installed a wireless doorbell for a friend :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Someone already suggested that using multitool.

The crack might be widened by forcing a screwdriver into it to make
room for the saw.

Come to that, a thin-bladed saw could cut through the metal camnut
even if it wasn't unscrewable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

This is turning out to be quite the troublesome screw.

Not the first time that has been uttered. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 September 2019 08:09:44 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
This is turning out to be quite the troublesome screw.

Not the first time that has been uttered. ;-)

But usually by Adam 8-0

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Open it in a private session then clear all traces. Unfortunately so many
sites now do this that you need to mitigate it if you want to do very much.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

I got a warning from Kaspersky about that photo. It said the
web page was downloading adverts and recommended closing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

On 29/09/2019 11:15, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Or take the wardrobe out of the alcove, dismantle it very, very
carefully, and reassemble it the way you want it.

Can't you just allocate your wife a different shelf?

By Golly! I think you might be onto something there.

Maybe a photo of the whole wardrobe, if you want practical suggestions?

The whole shebang.

https://postimg.cc/8Fzx7tsQ

The shelf.

https://postimg.cc/mcpJCCFc

The idea was to take out the shelf with the box file on, and put the
box file on the next lower shelf. Access and opening space.
Don't think it's happening

thought she was too short to reach shelf.

not to short to reach it, just too short to open the lid and peer
downward on the contents.
That's what being a Pixie gets ya.

I think you are effectively saying that the problem is with the box file?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:39:08 +0100, Jim K... wrote:

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 29/09/2019 10:41, wrote:
On Sunday, 29 September 2019 10:26:10 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Thanks Andy, I see the arrow!
Is the outside edge considered to be the edge closest to those of us
standing outside the wardrobe, rather than those inside?

The outside edge will be the edge closest to the side panel joined on.

As this illustration shows I think you will not be able to pull the
lock down and out until you have pulled the side away.

https://s3files.core77.com/blog/imag...ocknuts-02.jpg

Owain

Isn't this what multi-tools are for ?.

Cut the camlocks and reposition with new ones.

Er no. Read the thread...

I had this situation once. I removed the cam and then used a Dremel to
cut a slot in the underside of the shelf, wide enough for the pin to pass
through. repeat as necessary. Then lift the shelf off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 29/09/2019 10:41, wrote:
On Sunday, 29 September 2019 10:26:10 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Thanks Andy, I see the arrow!
Is the outside edge considered to be the edge closest to those of us
standing outside the wardrobe, rather than those inside?

The outside edge will be the edge closest to the side panel joined on.

As this illustration shows I think you will not be able to pull the
lock down and out until you have pulled the side away.

https://s3files.core77.com/blog/imag...ocknuts-02.jpg

Owain

Isn't this what multi-tools are for ?.

Cut the camlocks and reposition with new ones.

Er no. Read the thread...

I had this situation once. I removed the cam and then used a Dremel to
cut a slot in the underside of the shelf, wide enough for the pin to pass
through. repeat as necessary. Then lift the shelf off.

But did you refit the shelf on repositioned pins too?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 29/09/2019 10:41, wrote:
[...]

I refitted it on un-repositioned pins. I had another reason for removing
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 29/09/2019 10:41, wrote:
[...]

Go on I'm intrigued...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Plans / ideas for fitted wardrobe? Lobster UK diy 3 October 1st 06 06:48 PM
Fitted Wardrobe for Alcove shoog UK diy 3 October 18th 05 07:37 AM
Fitted wardrobe mitre joints jg UK diy 10 June 27th 05 12:02 AM
DIY Fitted Wardrobe hotshot UK diy 0 January 29th 05 08:43 PM
Fitted wardrobe companies - recommendations James Taylor UK diy 0 February 3rd 04 10:21 PM