Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default Red face over fitted wardrobe shelves.

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:37:52 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 13:36:22 +0100, ss wrote:

On 29/09/2019 10:53, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 02:44:33 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Proceed with caution Mike shelves secured with cam locks are done so for a purpose. Wardrobes and shelving units sold by the doyen of self assembly furniture IKEA, often have at least one fixed shelf the purpose of which is structural to prevent the tall sides from splaying out. It might not be apparent when the unit is empty but will certainly become evident when it is loaded!

Richard
Tricky,
My wardrobe is turning out to be a minefield!

..........Or put in an additional shelf at the required height.
Just sell her the idea you are giving her additional shelf space.

At Last, someone who makes the solution seem easy.

As I've never heard of these nuts, I did some googling and found this
video showing how to install one in an Ikea kit. It shows one camnut
between two wooden dowels, so that the shelf is fixed at three points
along its edge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6X-_q2vo0

I'm wondering if the nut can be rotated and then prised out of the
hole, exposing the head of the pin that is screwed into the wardrobe
wall. Then perhaps this head could be rotated bit by bit with a small
pair of pliers to unscrew it from the wall. If so, the shelf would
still be supported by two wooden dowels, but these could be sawn
through with a thin-bladed saw in the crack between the shelf and the
wall?

The crack might be widened by forcing a screwdriver into it to make
room for the saw.

Come to that, a thin-bladed saw could cut through the metal camnut
even if it wasn't unscrewable.
--
Dave W